First 81617181920 Last

Thread: Racism

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think the things that bother me are inherently to do with Islam, yes, I do. Though any religion can be twisted, that much is true.
    There aren't equally bad things in Christianity or Judaism? From what source exactly?

As can I, which is why it's pointless to argue with me about this.
    Actually, it's a point that it's all about twisting and interpreting, thus an argument for the compeltely unexceptional nature of Islam.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISFJ

As can I, which is why it's pointless to argue with me about this.
    I lol'ed.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

so...if a gay suicide bomber has success in his/her quest, when they get to heaven where 72 virgins await, are those virgins the correct sex of the bombers expectations? or was the suicide bombing an epic phail beyond the local stuff?
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by professor goodstain View Post
    so...if a gay suicide bomber has success in his/her quest, when they get to heaven where 72 virgins await, are those virgins the correct sex of the bombers expectations? or was the suicide bombing an epic phail beyond the local stuff?
    The Muslim that holds those sorts of beliefs also presumably believes a gay is never going to heaven.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Sniffles

Or you could consult actual theological discussion on the matter:
    In the ancient Near East it was common for men to be sexually mutilated upon being captured, subjugated and enslaved by a foreign power (see Isaiah 56:3 ff). There were also men who were emasculated as part of a compulsory or voluntary initiation rite for non-Israelite cults. To some scholars, it is this latter group that is a primary concern of this verse. That is, the conditions described by our verse may be bodily evidence of the subject's complete devotion to an idolatrous or otherwise immoral cult, just as the brit mila (rite of circumcision) is a physical sign of the Jewish male's bonding with the God of Israel.
    Sex Reassignment Surgery and Deuteronomy 23:2 (23:1)

Yes, God clearly hates those who just happened to injure their balls. :rolli:

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There aren't equally bad things in Christianity or Judaism? From what source exactly?

Actually, it's a point that it's all about twisting and interpreting, thus an argument for the compeltely unexceptional nature of Islam.
    Whatever point you're trying to make here, you're missing my point , which is that I don't believe it's morally wrong to reject any particular religion or strongly dislike a particular culture. The fact that I do not like the Islamic religion doesn't mean that I think all Arabic people are terrorists. It doesn't even mean that I think all Muslims are terrorists. But do I like the Islamic faith? No, I do not.

By the same token, there are certain world cultures which might strike me as especially displeasing or even vile. As long as I don't go wantonly brutalizing people of those cultures just for being born into it, I don't see what the problem is with my distaste, or even complete abhorrence, of that culture.

It's not the same thing as being prejudiced against someone because of their physical features, or where they happened to be born, or what their first language happens to be.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Or you could consult actual theological discussion on the matter:

Sex Reassignment Surgery and Deuteronomy 23:2 (23:1)

Yes, God clearly hates those who just happened to injure their balls. :rolli:
    So says a bunch of non-explicitly validated speculation. It may even be perfectly reasonable speculation. But the point is that the scriptures themselves are a mess and on the face of it seem to say crazy things (and there are some others you'd probably have a tougher time with, though I'm sure you have an answer for it all) and require a mass of text to be stuck on to them... and you can stick whatever you want on.

So find anything in the Koran, and you can take it literally and explicitly, or you can work all kinds of meaning, potentially endless variations of meaning out of it, through interpretation and supposed implication.

So basically, in being prejudiced against the Koran, one is cherry-picking, or applying a double standard. Applying one rule to one book and the other rule to the other book.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    So says a bunch of non-explicitly validated speculation. It may even be perfectly reasonable speculation. But the point is that the scriptures themselves are a mess and on the face of it seem to say crazy things (and there are some others you'd probably have a tougher time with, though I'm sure you have an answer for it all) and require a mass of text to be stuck on to them... and you can stick whatever you want on.
    So rabbis are unqualified to make commentaries on the Old Testament in your view? Interesting how you try to dismiss taking into consideration the historical circumstances involved at the time(which are commonly noted in the theological "speculations" you dismiss) - namely the fact that castration was a common ritual among many Near Eastern cults that the Jews wanted to set themselves apart from.

You can certainly interpret scriptures however you want when you're largely ignorant of much of the original contexts, not to mention even the original languages involved too. Hence why it's necessary to have priests, rabbis, mullahs who make it their duty to properly study these texts.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

My sister was married to a Muslim and divorced him as quickly as possible. She didn't like what she learned about his religion and culture after she married him. I have to say that I'm not really a big fan of some Islamic beliefs, and to me it's in a similar category as Scientology as "religions I'm never gonna fully respect." In fact, the more I learned about these religions, the less open-minded I was, ironically. Sort of like my sister.

I think it's okay to not like certain cultures and religions. That's not the same thing as racism, and I'm sure you're referring to Arabic people being classified as terrorists, which I agree is racist and wrong.

There's something that exists called nationalism, which means that one strongly prefers one's country over others to the point of thinking that others are inferior. This is different than racism, and I think it may be what Ivy is talking about.
    Yeah. I am not a big fan of any religion but I support freedom of religion as long as it is not harmful to anyone and the people support other's religions as well. This Christain leader on the News today was saying how he bought everyone from different faiths together to condemn the burning of the Koran, not because he believes in Islam but he believes in the freedom.

I am not even a big fan of culture because to me, it puts people forever hanging onto a time when the customs may be appropriate but that time is long gone. Forward, people.

I don't 'like' that their women should feel compelled to wear those scarves over their heads. It covers their beautiful hair. And it must be annoying. I don't agree that seven-year-olds should be strongly encouraged to memorize the Koran and know it verbatim.

My best friend in middle school had to wear long sleeves and long pants during the hot summers because she's not allowed to show any skin. To me, that's just completely illogical.

Maybe I am one of those existentialists or uhm strong individualists.

I think the line between nationalism and racism is blurry between people of different 'colors' because it's racial profiling on the part of Americans. For this situation, it's definitely blurry.

The line can get very thin between not agreeing with ideas and purposely condemning such ideas based on one's own opinions/perspectives/philosophies. I can't say that I never roll my eyes when people talk about their faiths.

Sniffles

Adding onto my point here:
    The Hebrew word here describing the damage done to the genitals is dakkah - meaning mutilated or wounded. Although some suppose that this can refer to an accidental or genetic defect [Merr.Dt, 307], the context and the difference in language from Leviticus suggests that this isn't a case of someone who has been through an accident or a fight and can't help what has happened.

Rather, as our socially-informed commentators tell us, this most likely refers to someone who has wilfully and purposefully damaged themselves, probably as part of a pagan religious ritual. And this is right in line with a theme of Deut. 23 itself, which forbids various foreigners from entering the assembly: The only person who would undergo such treatment would be a foreigner (in pagan practice, deformity was "not only acceptable but frequently central to the practice of the cult", as for example were the assinnu of the Babylonian rituals - Merr.Dt, 307) -- or else someone who so dedicated themselves to a pagan god that they took this extra painful step to demonstrate their devotion.

Have they suffered enough? Perhaps they have -- but it would have been their own choice in the matter. It's not surprising that God declared that anyone who went this far in devotion to false gods ought to be excluded from the assembly of the true God.
    excrement in the Bible