User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Thread: Racism

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I don't think blonde + pale skin is the "standard" of beauty - too extreme. At the very least, around here it's not. Very dark black isn't either, for the same reason. Probably has something to do with humans preferring more "average" features.
    The "white" extreme is acceptable, and at the least, most people don't react to it in fear.

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Actually, it is. To a certain degree. To live in a modern world with all the modern contraptions of daily life, one would be extremely ignorant, at the least, to claim that he were above the unconscious influence of all that. We are all products of the world we live in. That's why we should be very CAREFUL about what our minds view, and what our children view. And cognizant of the subliminal messages we send to our children and others when we support, with our passivity, practices and activities that hold physical beauty as one of our main qualifiers of success.
    I agree. It's impossible to avoid being inundated by these images and messages, but we can control our awareness of them and become mindful of their influence.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    YaYa

I always laugh when white people become dignified and use the term "African American"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    The "white" extreme is acceptable, and at the least, most people don't react to it in fear.
    Lol because over there people react with fear at black women??? And it never happens that people say "omg she's so pale, she looks sick!"?
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Why are certain features found attractive? The media conditions us to respond to certain images. There can be underlying instinctual attraction to healthy looking people, but when it comes to more neutral issues, a sense of attractiveness is largely manufactured by a culture. People will tend to push back against realizing that their perceptions are controlled and often manufactured, but they actually are at least to some degree. There is a rather wide range of images that can be manufactured to become a standard of beauty. All one has to do is to view how the standard changes over time, location, and culture to see that it has a large degree of flexibility.
    Certainly conceptions of beauty are flexible and yes to some extent conditioned by the media. I never argued there's this abstract concept of beauty. But it doesn't refute my argument either. Certain forms of beauty do resonate with us innately.

The standard of beauty is always socially charged in favor of the dominant social group.
    Yes of course. Certainly Chinese social standards of beauty are a little biased towards Chinese features for example. Or even in many sub-saharan African countries towards Black women. Or in Russia towards Slavic features. America is and has been majority white, so it's not that shocking that society's standards are going to lean towards that way. It's basically how cultures work, and quite frankly I don't see much of a problem with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Let's ask another question - what's wrong with the definition of beauty being largely defined by the majority (or however you are/were wording it)?
    +1

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Why are certain features found attractive? The media conditions us to respond to certain images. There can be underlying instinctual attraction to healthy looking people, but when it comes to more neutral issues, a sense of attractiveness is largely manufactured by a culture.
    I don't think you can make this blanket statement. As we age, we're better able to filter out what culture defines as attractive versus what we naturally find attractive. So I believe your statement would be more applicable to younger, less independent-thinking people.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Lol because over there people react with fear at black women??? And it never happens that people say "omg she's so pale, she looks sick!"?
    This is what I was thinking when I read her ridiculous statement. When I see a really dark black woman, my reaction isn't fear, I'm curious. I wonder where she's from.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INFJ

Yes, an extremely dark-skinned person is often reacted to in fear.

Being extremely pale+blond hair is generally accepted as "beautiful". It is a generally acceptable extreme that we see on TV and in magazines, and in high schools and middle schools, all the time. That some people find it sickly is not my point.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by EnFpFer View Post
    Yes, an extremely dark-skinned person is often reacted to in fear.

Being extremely pale+blond hair is generally accepted as "beautiful". It is a generally acceptable extreme that we see on TV and in magazines, and in high schools and middle schools, all the time. That some people find it sickly is not my point.
    In your head.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFJ

In your head.
    No, actually it's not. Race fear, particularly as it relates to "black" people has been studied inside and out. We're clearly drawing on different life experiences and understandings.

In any case, are you arguing that pale white+blonde is generally accepted as unattractive or at least as (un)acceptable as blue black+dark haired? Are you also going to argue that being heavy set is generally treated(as an extreme) as as attractive as being thin too?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Let's ask another question - what's wrong with the definition of beauty being largely defined by the majority (or however you are/were wording it)?
    I still don't believe it's true, for me at least...I have gone on dates with both black and nordic women, and I was physically attracted to both of them. So societal influence on sexual attraction is just bunk from my perspective. Perhaps somebody else is influenced. @toonia: it's too easy to say that. If "universally" there's an influence, but each individual isn't influenced, then universally there's nothing, perhaps some sterile discussion on internet forums.
    While I am sure you guys are superior human specimens, and are above subliminal influence, most aren't. Otherwise, companies twould not spend millions of dollars on tv ads.

What's wrong with majority infuencing what we find beautiful? Because only some fall into those parameters. And bullshit on it even being anywhere near the majority. A very, very few fall in to the beautiful category, and those are ogled ad nauseum. The trickle down occurs that normal people cannot compete and so it manifests in the normal majority having self-image and even self esteem issues from it. Dark women burning the hell out of themselves applying skin lightening cream and hair straighteners. And white women at the age of 17 getting fake boobs and liposuction. I don't know too much what guys do, but I'm sure it's hard on them too. That is conditioning. That is something we are all part of whether you think you buy into it or not. If you are not part of the solution and you entertain yourself with those stereotypical images of beauty and brawn, you are sending the message that normal is just not good enough, and are therefore part of the problem.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com