User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Single world currency

What do you guys think about a single world currency?

Do you think this is where things are going?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Mankind will destroy the world before there is a single world currency.

I do not think that is likely to happen as it would prevent several major world powers from manipulating things to their advantage.

A recent example, despite the overall success of the Euro, The UK stuck with Pound Sterling.

China wouldn't be able to manipulate their economy if their currency were to float like the rest of the world's nations.

I just don't see a single world currency as a feasible option in a world of corrupt and powerful nations.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

No, and I hope not.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I've just been reading about China and Russia for example talking about it. And Medvedev actually showed a coin of the possible world currency at least a year or two ago already, I can't remember exactly. There is also talk of IMF SDRs as a possible alternative to the dollar as reserve currency once it's crashed.

I know the nations are corrupt and there is a lot of manipulation, but it seems to me that the top of the triangle goes beyond the national level. And the financial collapse seems inevitable and relatively soon as we are coming to the end of the cycle, and it makes sense from “their” point of view to consolidate their power and have a single world currency as it would be even easier to manipulate markets and just print off, say, gold-backed SDRs without having to prove to anyone that they have the gold for it. You could essentially “counterfeit” gold. Gold is the thorn in the side of all fiat currencies as I've understood. And the currency crisis is a good excuse for the public. Nations often devalue their currencies on purpose as a solution to debt.

It's only been over the last year or two that I've been really getting into trying to understand money and markets. There's a lot I don't know and I was wondering what others thought here about it. To me, the possibility of a single currency looks reasonably likely and it is scary to me.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

Gold.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

You mean purely just physical gold for all transactions?
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves

I mean gold already has been a global currency and arguably still is. The argument of a global currency could be made of any widely-used resource. You could call oil a global currency.

Or do you mean a fiat paper-based currency? It's unclear what you mean.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, gold is money already but I meant, do you think all national fiat currencies will be replaced by a single currency (whatever that might be)? To be used by people for their daily transactions. Like when all the national currencies of the present Eurozone were devalued and replaced by the Euro. Something like that.

I see a global-fiat currency happening when a single global government (more substantial than the UN) takes hold. This may happen in 10 years. Maybe 100 years. Maybe never.

Too many rich people would be losing too much money, otherwise.

Remember the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rule. Whichever results in greatest gain to those with power in the long-run is the most likely things will go.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    I see a global-fiat currency happening when a single global government (more substantial than the UN) takes hold. This may happen in 10 years. Maybe 100 years. Maybe never.
    Aren't we already in a sense being globally governed? Economically? By the purse strings? When I cannot preserve my wealth in paper and even if I put it into commodities those are manipulated so I can't use my wealth at its actual value? And I don't want to be forced into speculation to preserve my money?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Too many rich people would be losing too much money, otherwise.

Remember the golden rule: he who has the gold makes the rule. Whichever results in greatest gain to those with power in the long-run is the most likely things will go.
    Yes. I see a global fiat currency as that. Especially when I read about the discussions of using IMF SDRs as such. Or at least as the world reserve currency. Then you could get around the problem of gold and the gold price because SDRs are paper gold and the IMF could print as much as they want with no one to really regulate it.