User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Question Why Do You Have Pride?

To me, pride is embodied by the wounded dog who is too conceded to limp... in fear that he might be ostracized or stricken by a predator.

In other words, pride can be individualistic or affiliated; but either way it deludes us and others. Pride makes conjectures to avoid the unfortunate or mask the grotesque. It dwells in the subconscious of the man who purchases a mammoth pick-up truck to compensate for his small parts, the family who waves a flag outside their window despite their dysfunctionality, or even the brunette who dyes her hair blonde to lure the boys. Why do we evoke pride for circumstances that are out of our influence? Skin color, nationality, football teams... Do these provide a support structure via pride? Does one confide in the delusion of the self or the multitudes through this mechanism? If so, we breed a boastful contempt that inevitably ejaculates the phrase, "I'm better than you"... unless you take pride in all things - in which case - is their even a purpose? Must we all chime in one accord?

I am proud of my ability to experiment with hardcore drugs and remain unaddicted.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Right, "pride" is usually considered most "fulfilling" when you've accomplished something. Pride in an accomplishment, for your effort and success.

Then "political pride"... is the good feeling for your group accomplishing something? The difference is pride in yourself vs. pride in a group.

Being proud of an effort that was not your doing (such as the accomplishments of people who lived in your birthplace long before you were aware) is created because of our social needs, maybe?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTJ

There's healthy pride and not so healty.

Healthy pride is feeling good about yourself as opposed to worthlessness or some other debilitating mental condition.

Unhealthy is raising yourself over another with the purpose of mking the other seem worthless, or not as good.

Thumbs down Absurd

Pride, the Church told me, is the worst sin.

And pride, called hubris by the Ancient Greeks, is always followed by nemesis, the punishment of the gods.

But being born without control, we struggle for control, reaching the peak of our control at about twenty-two years of age. And then we and our parents are rightfully proud of our achievement.

But if we rest on our laurels, we are left with all the pride of an obedient child.

So we can be proud to come of age, but if we stop there until old age, we become absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    I am proud of my ability to experiment with hardcore drugs and remain unaddicted.
    When we can stop, we don't want to.

And when we want to stop, we can't.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    When we can stop, we don't want to.

And when we want to stop, we can't.
    What dialect of Gibberish are you speaking now?
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Same one he always has.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

When I think of pride I visualize a weak man pathetically puffing out his chest.

"I'm proud to be a woman"

"I'm proud of my roots"

"I'm proud to be an American"

"I'm proud of my Korean heritage"

Hogwash!!!

How can you be proud of things you had absolutely no control of, or contribution in?!?!?

Ludicrous!!!

I guess it's alright to be proud of accomplishments you've made, that makes sense, and is healthy. But most feelings of pride are unfounded and pathetic, in my opinion.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

I can draw, paint, take photographs, write, sing, crochet, and do all sorts of creative stuff. Am I proud? No, not really. I feel grateful to my family and friends who have encouraged me and told me that I have talent. Without that support, I probably would have given up on it a long time ago.
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.