User Tag List

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Default Brendan Burke (son of Leafs GM Brian and first openly gay hockey person) dies

Leafs GM Burke's son Brendan dies after crash - CTV News

Thread title is kind of awkward ("hockey person" instead of player), but for those who don't know, he allowed a writer to do a groundbreaking ESPN article about his sexuality in a sport where no one is openly gay (in the NHL, but he was playing college hockey, but he was also part of the NHL circle being Burke's son).
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

There are gay hockey persons now? What is the world coming to??
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    There are gay hockey persons now? What is the world coming to??
    Well, now there aren't any openly gay hockey players--he was the only one because hockey is a very homophobic culture.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Well, now there aren't any openly gay hockey players--he was the only one because the sport is still a very homophobic culture.
    I gotta be honest; I just wanted an excuse to use the phrase, "hockey person." I think it's hysterical.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I gotta be honest; I just wanted an excuse to use the phrase, "hockey person." I think it's hysterical.
    Oh. Cool. Yeah, it's sort of weird to label him in relation to the NHL--he was the son of a famous NHL name, he played college hockey and then he planned to have an off-ice career in the NHL. So it was a big deal when he went public but there still aren't any openly gay players.
    C.S. Lewis

Default Sports and homophobia...the rampant testosterone bull does not do china patterns

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    Well, now there aren't any openly gay hockey players--he was the only one because hockey is a very homophobic culture.
    I remember reading about an interview with an NHL player, as part of a book on Gay Athletes and Masculinity...it is up on Outsports.com. He chose to remain anonymous.

Here's an excerpt of his story:
    A Closeted NHL player talks about being gay in hockey

MBTI
    ESFJ

Sidney Crosby was still living in a spare bedroom at Mario Lemieux's house last I heard. . . Seriously, though, I am a hardcore hockey fan, and I find it quite weird that a former player hasn't come out. NHL players surveyed were actually the MOST likely of major North American sports to accept having a gay teammate. I think part of the skittishness about homosexuality in hockey is the culture of youth hockey. Young star hockey players travel extensively for games and camps and tournaments, and there have been some high-profile cases of sexual misconduct by some coaches and trainers. It's unfair that these cases might make hockey players, coaches, and fans homophobic toward nice, normal people who happen to be gay. Most hockey fans I know are pretty open-minded.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"