User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 43

  1. #21
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    I try to be consistent.

    But I'd be the first to admit my postings are shit.
    You fail.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  2. #22
    Babylon Candle Venom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx
    Posts
    2,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sytpg View Post
    Arguments don't change anyone's minds? Disagree.

    Also it's not about learning directly from the opponents positions, but how you react to it, if it makes you think, makes you improve the reasoning behind your stances etc

    And ugh man (@ bolded part) , you truly are an FJ!

    Conflict doesn't harm us, it makes us better if not taken to extremes (which is why forums have rules in the first place).
    lol, way to twist my words! When you write it as "arguments dont change anyones mind" then yes i sound irrational. However, I clearly said "the arguments" in my post. the "The" refereed to the sort of arguments the OP and I were addressing, you know: abortion, religion, healthcare, politics, eschatology, gay marriage, etc

    all of these arguments ultimately come down to a priori beliefs (which arent usually changed because of an argument). Arguments in general though, can be about stuff not having to do with a priori beliefs (which cheeseburger is the cheapest in San Jose?) etc...

    And yes, my last sentence is rather FJ ...Conflict is fine when there is a rational answer to be had. However, when a priori metaphysics are at the heart of these debates, then there is NO right answer! Thus the arguments are pointless...

  3. #23
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Le Fay View Post
    You're looking for insight flying out of your ass?
    Careful, constipation will give you the blues.

  4. #24
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    You see, the interesting thing about debates: they're informative for everyone - not just the debaters. So just as an artist sits on the sidelines to observe what ensues during a war, some of us may be swayed by the tactics of online debates. I must say that thinking "they go nowhere" is somewhat narrow-minded. You never know where they go because you are not the representative for all people. Perhaps they go nowhere in your mind's eye; but that reveals more about you than the actual debate/debaters.

  5. #25
    Senior Member Moiety's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Posts
    6,020

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    lol, way to twist my words! When you write it as "arguments dont change anyones mind" then yes i sound irrational. However, I clearly said "the arguments" in my post. the "The" refereed to the sort of arguments the OP and I were addressing, you know: abortion, religion, healthcare, politics, eschatology, gay marriage, etc
    The point still stands since I dont agree that this :

    all of these arguments ultimately come down to a priori beliefs (which arent usually changed because of an argument).
    ...is always the case. I don't always know where I stand before an argument, and I find that discussing it with people helps em distill my personal beliefs on the subject. How else are we to escape indoctrination and social conditioning (ugh...Feness)?


    Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    And yes, my last sentence is rather FJ ...Conflict is fine when there is a rational answer to be had. However, when a priori metaphysics are at the heart of these debates, then there is NO right answer! Thus the arguments are pointless...
    There ARE NO right answers in my opinion. That's the whole point. That's why it is fun.

  6. #26

    Default

    Frankly, I ask myself this all the time. I'm not sure what I get out of it...I certainly don't consider it fun. I pick my spots and generally don't jump in unless I feel a valid viewpoint is getting unfairly maligned or ganged up on. I don't really see a point to much back and forth in these kinds of threads, so I tend to make only a few posts, say my piece and get out. It's difficult to do this when you find your argument or motives subtly misrepresented by canny subsequent posters, but it's the only way I can avoid the mudslinging that sullies everyone involved.

    I guess in the end, the only thing I get out of it is a salve for my conscience.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  7. #27
    meh Salomé's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    10,540

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Frankly, I ask myself this all the time. I'm not sure what I get out of it...I certainly don't consider it fun. I pick my spots and generally don't jump in unless I feel a valid viewpoint is getting unfairly maligned or ganged up on. I don't really see a point to much back and forth in these kinds of threads, so I tend to make only a few posts, say my piece and get out. It's difficult to do this when you find your argument or motives subtly misrepresented by canny subsequent posters, but it's the only way I can avoid the mudslinging that sullies everyone involved.

    I guess in the end, the only thing I get out of it is a salve for my conscience.


    The misrepresenting thing is a good point though. It's why I sometimes get dragged into things that I have no real interest in and then struggle to extricate myself from.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

  8. #28
    Senior Member matmos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    NICE
    Posts
    1,721

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Frankly, I ask myself this all the time. I'm not sure what I get out of it...I certainly don't consider it fun. I pick my spots and generally don't jump in unless I feel a valid viewpoint is getting unfairly maligned or ganged up on. I don't really see a point to much back and forth in these kinds of threads, so I tend to make only a few posts, say my piece and get out. It's difficult to do this when you find your argument or motives subtly misrepresented by canny subsequent posters, but it's the only way I can avoid the mudslinging that sullies everyone involved.

    I guess in the end, the only thing I get out of it is a salve for my conscience.
    We all imagine ourselves saying wise and profound things. And maybe we are.

    But if no-one listens, what's the point?

    Usually there's someone listening. Probably.

  9. #29
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    We all imagine ourselves saying wise and profound things. And maybe we are.
    You see: trying to write a decent argument in English (not my native language) has taught me modesty. It's awfully long, and most of the time for a mediocre result.

    But it's fun to bear an handicap, sometimes.

    You can't always be perfect!

    But if no-one listens, what's the point?

    Usually there's someone listening. Probably.
    Probably.

    ---

    Anyway.

    I'm here just for the sake of debating and interacting with people when I feel bored.
    Frankly, I do not learn a lot -technically speaking-, but observing how the "average American citizen" thinks and views is entertaining too. Not as funny as reading the NYT Weekend edition, but interesting nonetheless.

    I'm here to discover individuals worth of my attention, and to hunt some of them.

    There's nothing better than a good manhunt.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #30
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    I learn things. I get to practice thinking skills. Sometimes I laugh.

    I especially enjoy it when threads go off topic.

Similar Threads

  1. How do you get out of the Ti loop of doom?
    By Intricate Mystic in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-23-2010, 02:35 PM
  2. [MBTItm] NFs, do you get tired of giving people "the benefit of the doubt"?
    By chatoyer in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 07-30-2009, 05:57 PM
  3. What Do You Get When You Mix a Jellyfish and a *Monkey*?
    By cogdecree in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 01:20 PM
  4. [ESFJ] what do you guys think of ESFJ girls?
    By niki in forum The SJ Guardhouse (ESFJ, ISFJ, ESTJ, ISTJ)
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 04-02-2009, 07:47 PM
  5. What do you honestly think of yourself?
    By Atomic Fiend in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 07:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO