User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 37

  1. #1
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default Worst campaign ad ever?

    I want to get the drop on this and be the first TypoC member to do a thread on it (because someone else surely would if not me), and I want the warm fuzzies of spreading the joy myself.

    I'm talking about Carly Fiorina's incredible sheep ad. If you haven't heard of it, here's an article on it. No real need to read, just watch the video.
    Demon sheep!

    For those who have just seen it, and those who already saw it, what do you think? What thoughts does it provoke? How does it make you feel? Most importantly, how would you rate it from 1 to 10 in terms of affectiveness as a campaign add?

    ...

    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #2
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    LOL... Pretty funny
    And sort of politically (economically) stupid.
    With the kind of public debt the U.S has, paying high taxes seems kind of vital for getting out of the mess.
    Comparatively, the U.S has low gas prices, taxes etc on a whole.
    The debt is nearly as much as your GDP in a year...

    Not the time to be "fiscally conservative"

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  3. #3
    Vaguely Precise Seymour's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so
    Posts
    1,565

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I want to get the drop on this and be the first TypoC member to do a thread on it (because someone else surely would if not me), and I want the warm fuzzies of spreading the joy myself.

    I'm talking about Carly Fiorina's incredible sheep ad. If you haven't heard of it, here's an article on it. No real need to read, just watch the video.
    Demon sheep!

    For those who have just seen it, and those who already saw it, what do you think? What thoughts does it provoke? How does it make you feel? Most importantly, how would you rate it from 1 to 10 in terms of affectiveness as a campaign add?

    ...

    I love this ad! I saw it earlier today and thought it was awesomely weird. And to avoid spoilers for people who don't want to be pre-biased (I don't think "weird" gives too much away):

    I do think it's a problem when the basic message is "vote for the sheep that has no mind of its own!" For odd images it's great... sheep on a column... sheep in a lightning storm... demonic sheep (wolf in sheep's clothing). Love the over-dramatic voice-over, complete with new acronym at its height. I'd give it high marks for memorable and trippy, but not necessarily effective in my opinion.

  4. #4
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    I thought it was a pretty normal political ad. Until 2:30

    Apart from that: What's wrong with opposing tax cuts if there's already a horrendous deficit?
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  5. #5
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    LOL... Pretty funny
    And sort of politically (economically) stupid.
    With the kind of public debt the U.S has, paying high taxes seems kind of vital for getting out of the mess.
    Comparatively, the U.S has low gas prices, taxes etc on a whole.
    The debt is nearly as much as your GDP in a year...

    Not the time to be "fiscally conservative"
    I'm not even getting to the point of political accurateness. Let's just say for argument that all of Fiorina's political positions were intelligent and correct. Would this ad convince anyone to vote for her or against opponent?

    Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    I love this ad! I saw it earlier today and thought it was awesomely weird. And to avoid spoilers for people who don't want to be pre-biased (I don't think "weird" gives too much away):
    While everyone will surely want to talk about the first and last parts, I must say the voice-over inbetween was pretty retarded as well. The guy sounded way to sinister, and his lines were so snide and hostile it was like reading the Communist Manifesto. It think it was bad form.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I thought it was a pretty normal political ad. Until 2:30

    Apart from that: What's wrong with opposing tax cuts if there's already a horrendous deficit?
    The Monty Python animation in the beginning didn't get you at all? The weird scence cutting during the voice-over was also pretty trippy.

    Anyway, I want to say again that I'm not really aiming to discuss good policy in this thread, I'm more interested in talking about this in terms of campaigning.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #6
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    O.

    M.

    G.

    That's a real ad! It almost makes me wonder if the person who came up with that idea was a liberal. It could not possibly have been someone with the interests of the candidate in mind because it makes her look ridiculous.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #7
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    My own vote is about 1/10. The more and more I watch this, the more I can criticize it. I'm realizing that essentially everything in this ad is wrong. I'm not sure how widely shown this has been so far, but for their sake it had better be extremely little and they should yank it now. This is the kind of ad that destroys your own candidacy.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #8
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Most importantly, how would you rate it from 1 to 10 in terms of affectiveness as a campaign add?
    3, at best. The corny play on New Testament symbolism confuses most people and distracts from the message (and will possibly be viewed as blasphemous by many), and the FCINO aspect will remind moderates of RINO, turning them off. It would have been much more effective to simply run a straightforward ad comparing Campell's claims of fiscal conservatism with his record.

  9. #9
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    O.

    M.

    G.

    That's a real ad! It almost makes me wonder if the person who came up with that idea was a liberal. It could not possibly have been someone with the interests of the candidate in mind because it makes her look ridiculous.
    Maybe the candidate is ridiculous.
    And I agree, it won't help her getting elected.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  10. #10
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    IThe Monty Python animation in the beginning didn't get you at all? The weird scence cutting during the voice-over was also pretty trippy.
    To be honest, after the word "piety" (even more so after "True Believers") I stopped taking this thread seriously because to me they are some of those words I really don't like to see within a political context.

    As to good campaigning: I don't want to be insulting here, but it will only reaffirm the simple minded people who already have made up their opinion and probably alienate a good deal of the undecided ones. Stupid methods.

    You simply can't address such an allegedly grave issue by showing a guy that would look ridiculous even on Halloween. If you want to be serious, do it in a serious way.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

Similar Threads

  1. Worst Political Ad
    By highlander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-16-2016, 07:04 PM
  2. Worst career matches ever
    By Lily flower in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 08-20-2015, 06:44 PM
  3. THE WORST TED TALK EVER!!
    By BlackDog in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 11-18-2014, 07:24 AM
  4. WORST Valentine's Day Gifts EVER...
    By Halla74 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-13-2010, 02:28 AM
  5. Your worst relationship ever
    By CzeCze in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 03-28-2009, 04:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO