User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

I reached "piety" at about 4 seconds in and stopped caring.

While writing this post and glancing through others, I see others lasted about as long on average.

As I continue to watch this though, it's really getting... bad. "True believers"? Alright... that's... not a good choice either.

Then the obvious mudslinging...

Not sure why they bothered with the "sheep" since they didn't do anything with herd mentality, nor wolf in sheep's clothing or any useful analogy. It was just random sheep pictures occasionally without real reason.

Overall, boring ad, and one I paused repeatedly to take breaks from because it was so dull. Crap for arguments, and nil for useful information on the candidate. Alright so yeu complained about one guy long enough, but yeu didn't say how yeur candidate is any better other than just saying "well she's better".

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Not sure why they bothered with the "sheep" since they didn't do anything with herd mentality, nor wolf in sheep's clothing or any useful analogy. It was just random sheep pictures occasionally without real reason.
    Like I said, it was probably meant to refer to biblical symbolism (sheep versus goats, Jesus as the Good Shepherd, etc.). The sheep are supposed to be the pious and wholesome fiscally conservative good guys, and Campell is apparently the tax-happy wolf in sheep's clothing out to lead the good sheep astray. The "herd mentality" is a different symbolism altogether....and this is why its a bad idea to portray the people you wish to represent as sheep, outside of a Church.

Edit: And I think the candidate who ran this ad might be surprised how many religious conservatives would be offended by her utilizing biblical imagery in this way...I know my mom would be.
    Last edited by lowtech redneck; 02-04-2010 at 07:38 PM. Reason: self-evident

MBTI
    INtP

I understand that I'm not the intended audience, but quite frankly, it made me *more* likely to consider the "opponent", Tom, as a more legitimate candidate. A Republican who looks at the huge deficits in California and proposes that cutting taxes isn't the answer? A Republican who decries the Bush tax cuts? Sounds like a guy with his eyes open -- I mean, I don't live in California, and wouldn't be terribly likely to vote for a Republican if I did, but I would at least give this guy a good look. Not so for Carly, who basically destroyed Hewlett-Packard's culture of R&D, drove it into the ground, and took a bucketful of money for doing so.

And that's not even getting into the "Piety", and depicting voters as sheep. Although the red-eyed wolf costume was pretty hilarious... if not so in the way Carly's campaign advisors probably hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy
    That's a real ad! It almost makes me wonder if the person who came up with that idea was a liberal. It could not possibly have been someone with the interests of the candidate in mind because it makes her look ridiculous.
    Haha - what actually came to mind was "well, now we know what Conan's doing these days." That wolf bit looked like it could have come straight from SNL.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Whaaaat?

You don't like being reminded that you owe money to a lot of people and are living way over what you can produce?

But alright, i'll stay away
    I only owe money to one person. And I haven't supported selling out our economy to the Chinese and European investors. But the answer to our current festering swamp is sure as hell not to raise taxes.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I only owe money to one person. And I haven't supported selling out our economy to the Chinese and European investors. But the answer to our current festering swamp is sure as hell not to raise taxes.
    This ad was about California, not the US.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Okay, so California is in a huge debt hole and he wants to raise some taxes to fix it.

...and...?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    This ad was about California, not the US.
    YLJ was referring to the US as a whole I think, though.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Okay, so California is in a huge debt hole and he wants to raise some taxes to fix it.

...and...?
    "Fiscal conservatives" are supposed to eliminate debt and increase revenue by decreasing government expenditures and cutting taxes and red-tape (thereby stimulating the economy). "Fiscal liberals" are supposed to eliminate debt and increase revenues by raising taxes and increasing stimulative spending. The descriptions of both of those labels assume fiscal responsibility takes precedence over competing goals such as welfare or security and that the politician in question has the capacity to carry out an agenda without excessive compromises. The ad suggests that Campell says he is one thing but acts differently (which may or may not be fair, I don't know), which is all well and good as far as political ads go. The problem is that the other stuff is distracting at best and at worst, makes the candidate running the ad look insane.

MBTI
    INTP

Wow.

Needs more Terry Gilliam.

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    To be honest, after the word "piety" (even more so after "True Believers") I stopped taking this thread seriously because to me they are some of those words I really don't like to see within a political context.
    This is a Republican primary campaign. The ad's intended audience are the wingnuts who turn out to vote. I don't know if they are offended or confused by the ad. Probably not amused.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by C.J.Woolf View Post
    This is a Republican primary campaign. The ad's intended audience are the wingnuts who turn out to vote.
    So, "wingnuts" are anyone participating in a Republican primary?