User Tag List

123 Last

Default Does TV teach anything anymore?

I've seen TV content which is really obviously trying to teach some kind of lesson and its not entertaining at all, then there's the alternative which is supposed to be entertaining and devoid of any really cerebral content.

I was watching Eerie Indiana, the original series not the childrens network spin off, and it seemed to manage to do both, then I was talking to some of my mates and they thought that the same could be said for The Wonder Years and even shows as recent as Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

Though the same couldnt be said of all the reality TV, the talent shows, the inventor and sponsor shows like Dragons Den, although there was a bit of disagreement about this.

What's your opinion? Is it just a nostalgia trip comparison between TV then and now?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I think the realism of character behavior has increased a lot in some of the quality dramas. There is actually quite a lot of insight in some shows. I don't know if this is exactly what you are asking, though...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I think there are probably a lot more educational programs now. A LOT. When I first saw this I was thinking it's about the same but there are a lot of programs tailored to children that have lessons built in. I think that's why Sponge Bob gets the comments about it, because it's not educational at all and TV for little ones isn't usually like that.

If you mean for adults... there certainly never was any "teaching" before, why would there be now? You have to go with a science/documentary/nonfiction show to get any.

Lungs & Lips Locked Unkindloving's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFj

I'm trying to think of the content for various age groups, but it gets a bit mixed up.
    Children's shows seem to have swapped their decent content with other decent content. Rather than learning about a specific lesson with say.. Eureka's Castle.. you learn more direct information with say.. Dora the Explorer. There are exceptions, but it seems not much has been lost there.
    With preteens it gets misguided. You swap out amusing science shows like Bill Nye for say... Hannah Montana. Not the best example, but you swap out 80% of a lesson for 80% humor. The lesson is still there, but you have to reach for it.
    Teens and then some.. reality shows. I don't remember what the substance was before, but i think it's just gotten suffocated by reality tv. You need to dig to find something substantial.

Eerie Indiana
    Hang on traveling woman - Don't sacrifice your plan
    Cause it will come back to you - Before you lose it on the man

.:: DWTWD ::.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

2011 TypeC Exercise Challenge - My Weekly Goals: Cardio 4x. Yoga/Pilates 1x. Pushups 70.

There is this thing keeping everyone's lungs and lips locked - It is called fear and it's seeing a great renaissance

I think TV is a lot more educational now. Educational in that it is a lot more complex than TV in the past. Shows that are not designed to be educational such as Lost have much more complex plots than any TV of the past. That kind of complexity is good for the old brain. Kids TV doesn't need to be educational, not explicitly in a sugary sweet Barney way. It does have to make you think.

I miss The Muppet Show.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy View Post
    Shows that are not designed to be educational such as Lost have much more complex plots than any TV of the past.
    Yes. Even the shitty stuff is so much better than the average of early nineties. Like, these days, you can find complexity and deep motives even in B action movies. It used to be enough to have big explosions.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

my education oriented parents raised me watching Sesame Street, 321 Contact, Reading Rainbow and nature and history documentaries on public television, my friends claim that this started me on the road to nerd-dom which I've apparently raced down enthusiastically (I don't think I'm THAT much of a nerd!) Those programs entertained me AND taught me things!

Now I usually watch programs on travel or food or whatever might catch my attention on public television (I love Antiques Roadshow ) which teach me things as well! Other programs that we watch will usually create a spark of interest about something and we end up looking stuff up on Wikipedia for the rest of the evening...

the conclusion? You really take away whatever education you give yourself the opportunity to from televison
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Sorry, but Mythbusters is pure win. Argument fail get.

Sniffles

If you watch PBS or C-Span sure. History Channel in the good old days, but hardly anymore.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Sorry, but Mythbusters is pure win. Argument fail get.
    Yeah... True.