User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Mein Kampf actually pretty sucked, I got bored on page 5 and sold it on ebay
    I think I bought that copy. Pages one to five were full of dubious stains and bits of tobacco, but page six onwards highly readable...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Ah, how romantic it is when you get to know where your things went
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Do you see the wearing of a headscarf as freedom of speech? If not, why not.
    I do not have a complaint against a headscarf - it is after all, not much different from other everyday articles of clothing. Some exceptions though: there was a Muslim woman who worked as a cop and insisted she wears a headscarf, while on duty. That's bullshit. All cops must follow regulation. Same argument can be extended to public schools. Public schools are secular establishments. I see no problem with a pubic school enforcing a dress code which is applied equally to everyone.

I have a bigger beef with burqa. You can wear one at a mosque or at home to your heart's content, but in public it creates a safety concern (i.e. difficult identification)

We'll make a European of you yet, Edgar.
    Well I was a European, but now I'm content at being a Yank. I have nothing against the "mother continent" though, and I hope it flourishes. In fact, I would be sad to see it turn into neo Ottoman Empire.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    INTJ

I think I bought that copy. Pages one to five were full of dubious stains and bits of tobacco, but page six onwards highly readable...
    Reading did not prove to be as satisfactory to entropie's sentiments as he had hoped.

Instead, he has acquired a new, more fulfilling hobby... namely collecting the pickled remains of dead birds and arranging them either in fighting or peaceful formations in his basement, depending on his mood.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    I do not have a complaint against a headscarf - it is after all, not much different from other everyday articles of clothing. Some exceptions though: there was a Muslim woman who worked as a cop and insisted she wears a headscarf, while on duty. That's bullshit. All cops must follow regulation.
    I don't think think they look that bad in the traditional outfit. The turban certainly looks on a par with the "tit" the constabulary generally favour. I don't see a problem.

Same argument can be extended to public schools. Public schools are secular establishments. I see no problem with a pubic school enforcing a dress code which is applied equally to everyone.
    Agree.

I have a bigger beef with burqa. You can wear one at a mosque or at home to your heart's content, but in public it creates a safety concern (i.e. difficult identification)
    The argument is a bit of a dud - see earlier comments about hoodies.

Women's rights groups however may have a point that burqas, chadors and jilbabs set back their cause several hundred years. Burqas, jilbabs and other regalia that anonymize women on psuedo-religious (ie cultural) grounds do get a bad press, although in principal most people have no problem with headscarves. Drawing a line on what is modest and oppressive is fiendishly difficult as the Begum case exemplified.

Still, you will not find any women in burqas employed by the state. I would doubt whether there's one burqa-wearing civil servant in Europe.

As an asside, I have noticed that many of the women insisting on their rights to wear "traditional" Islamic garb are white converts...

As you can see from the above picture, the cops here will make concessions; Sikhs have a long and noble history in the British military. Telling them to remove their turbans would largely be viewed as a betrayal. In France, however, he would be required to remove the turban and have his locks clipped. Blackmail! might be better placed to comment on France.

Well I was a European, but now I'm content at being a Yank.
    Good man! I can hear Gloria Gaynor singing in the background.

I have nothing against the "mother continent" though, and I hope it flourishes. In fact, I would be sad to see it turn into neo Ottoman Empire.
    I took you for the sort of guy that likes the odd Turkish bath now and again.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think think they look that bad in the traditional outfit. The turban certainly looks on a par with the "tit" the constabulary generally favour. I don't see a problem.

As you can see from the above picture, the cops here will make concessions; Sikhs have a long and noble history in the British military. Telling them to remove their turbans would largely be viewed as a betrayal. In France, however, he would be required to remove the turban and have his locks clipped. Blackmail! might be better placed to comment on France.
    Well, if you got some subplot going on in Britain involving the history of noble Sikhs that's cool. The case I was referring to occured in the US and we don't have a history of Muslim women serving in colonial militia.

The argument is a bit of a dud - see earlier comments about hoodies.
    You know I can't be bothered browsing through pages of other people's boring diatribe before throwing my 2cents into the scuffle.

Anyway, burqa hides the entire face, unlike the hoody.

I took you for the sort of guy that likes the odd Turkish bath now and again.
    I prefer gay bars instead. The music is better.

MBTI
    NICE

Well, if you got some subplot going on in Britain involving the history of noble Sikhs that's cool. The case I was referring to occured in the US and we don't have a history of Muslim women serving in colonial militia.
    Well that's for you lot to sort out. And being the Land of the Free, I'm sure you'll come to the right decision.

You could start your own thread - US War on Free Speech - and post your thoughts on veil-wearing cops there? Because it has no relevance in this thread, does it?

But it's nice to get that kind of thing off your chest. I've been there.

You know I can't be bothered browsing through pages of other people's boring diatribe before throwing my 2cents into the scuffle.

Anyway, burqa hides the entire face, unlike the hoody.
    Oh, yeah. Fancy some internet shopping?

Fullzip mask hoodie Men's Hoodies & Sweatshirts at bizrate - Price Comparison and Consumer Reviews

I prefer gay bars instead. The music is better.
    Together. We will go our way...

MBTI
    INTJ

Well that's for you lot to sort out. And being the Land of the Free, I'm sure you'll come to the right decision.

You could start your own thread - US War on Free Speech - and post your thoughts on veil-wearing cops there? Because it has no relevance in this thread, does it?
    Aw, don't be so constipated. I was merely answering your question about freedom of speech/religion by giving illustrations of what I find acceptable. As you can see, I was happy to modify my stance based on your country's historical eccentricities.

I never saw those things before, but if they hide faces like a burqa does, I don't see a problem with authorities demanding people take them off when deemed necessary.

Together. We will go our way...
    Well if you ever do find yourself overrun by the Muslim horde, you can always go west... life is peaceful there.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I do not have a complaint against a headscarf - it is after all, not much different from other everyday articles of clothing. Some exceptions though: there was a Muslim woman who worked as a cop and insisted she wears a headscarf, while on duty. That's bullshit. All cops must follow regulation. Same argument can be extended to public schools. Public schools are secular establishments. I see no problem with a pubic school enforcing a dress code which is applied equally to everyone.

We'll make a Frenchman out of you, Edgar!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    We'll make a Frenchman out of you, Edgar!
    Well, I am already pretentious and picky about my food, so that's a start. However, I shower fairly frequntly and don't like the idea of surrendering, which could be a problem.