User Tag List

First 8910

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I sincerely doubt that. You're more of the expert on that issue.
    I'm an expert and I say he fucked himself multiple times very openly, which is why he has a lesbian daughter.

no offense.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

Sniffles

Why would I be offended, I hate Dick Cheney.

MBTI
    nite
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    The whole Islamo-Fascist meme has been done to death really, especially with its explosion after 9/11. Although some parallels can be drawn between the two, you have to keep in mind that Islamism and fascism draw upon different political-cultural traditions: namely Western(post-1789) vs Islamic. The two traditions operate on different sets of assumptionms.
    The point is that they share a similar vein of extreme intolerance, not the same political party.
    X___________________________________

If things are not what they seem, and we are forever reminded that this is the casethen it must also be observed that enough of us ignore this truth to keep the world from collapsing. Thomas Ligotti, The Mystics of Muelenberg

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by evilrobot View Post
    The point is that they share a similar vein of extreme intolerance, not the same political party.
    You're still imposing an anarchonism here. You can't make meaningful analogies and comparisons of different ideologies based upon such vague concepts like "extreme intolerance".

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    I majored in IR/comparative...I am well aware of that. I'm not particularly impressed.

Dude, you asked me an opinion question, and I gave you what I consider to be a reasonably nuanced and humble answer; I said that I think the United States has superior overall democratic institutions on the basis of my principles, and I acknowledged that my principles are subjective, so there is no need to be offended simply because you have differing principles to my own. Are European diplomats "arrogant" or "condescending" when they invite us to join the ICC or to abolish the death penalty, or are they simply (like I said) attempting to advocate change at the margins of allied nations in order to advance the principles their countries choose to represent?
    I'm not a European diplomat.

I'm not an old-school imperialist like you seem to be (and that's not simply "being condescending", that's facts based on what you dare to wrote here).

Once again, I will never have the balls and the insane arrogance to pretend that the current French system is better than everywhere else in the world.
    What works here might not work elsewhere because of the cultural barrier (1), for instance, even if that doesn't justify everything. And vice-versa. Tell me I'm biased, but I think we live in a multipolar globalized world: Like Antisocialone noticed, obviously you don't: you are 20 years too late. We don't have to choose between two systems anymore -us or them-: it's an outdated political paradigm.

Ultimately, I think there will be representative democracies everywhere in the future, but not identical ones. Each one will invent its own path towards freedom, and no one has a monopoly on these values.

While I think we have a lot to learn from our neighbours, I do hope that this relationship is never one way but sometimes mutually beneficial. At least in Europe, we've learned to live and compare dozens of operanding democracies. There's not a single better model, and besides the purpose of democracy is to constantly fight to improve it.

Never forget context, and try to improve your diplomatic skills while you still can.

---

(1) Do you think we should semi-legalize hard drugs like in the Netherlands? Do you think it could work everywhere with the same results and effects, outside of the Dutch context?
    Do you think we should legalize paedophilic mangas like in Japan? After all, in regard to this, Japanese citizens could claim the US are making a war against "freedom of speech"...

You see: lot of pending questions. Answers aren't never that easy.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I'm not a European diplomat.

I'm not an old-school imperialist like you seem to be (and that's not simply "being condescending", that's facts based on what you dare to wrote here).
    You seem to have (deliberately?) missed my point; advocating principles one believes is no more "imperialistic" than the examples I cited. Are you saying that you DO think the examples I cited are imperialistic enterprises aimed at the United States? Are Europeans who think that countries without multi-member districts and proportional representation (like France) have less "democracy" than their own countries being "condescending," or "imperialistic," or are they simply expressing their subjective opinion on the matter?

What I am advocating is an international exchange of ideas as well as (where possible) coordinated efforts between like-minded countries to advance essential democratic norms (one example is the need to oppose proposed anti-blasphemy resolutions at the UN).

And you are correct about the role of culture and its interaction with varying institutions (indeed, I have expounded on this theme many times myself), but what does that have to do with the (subjective) question regarding which countries are currently more "democratic" than others, or which "democratic" institutions are preferable to others, assuming that the enabling conditions are present?

As for your concluding questions, I don't think legalizing "hard drugs" would work out very well in the United States for the foreseeable future (which is unfortunate, given the costs of prohibition both domestically and internationally), and I think we already have (albeit through the Supreme Court) legalized paedophilic cartoons.