12 Last

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Default Globalization, general and the French

I have a question on globalization and France. I get to do a competition, and our topic is globalization and how it affects France. Information on the topic itself and its general effect would be much appreciated, but I am also really looking for things geared towards France. I am just looking for general knowledge, and I don't know how many people will respond, but this was worth a shot.

Thanks!
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

What is the question? How does it affect France? Cultural degradation, I imagine. Globalism is pushing those "evil anglo-saxon cultural values" across the world. I've recently been reading about French culture (for the purpose of future debate) and my understanding is that they're very protective of their culture because of the pervasive influence of the anglosphere.

The first thing that comes to mind about France and globalization is their pride of language. Sometimes obnoxiously so (not that I blame them). I wish I could find the link now, but I recall a summit meeting not too long ago where the French rep was almost, like, humorously trolling the rest of the group by only speaking in French, with translators.. even though everyone else was speaking English, and apparently, he could as well. Anyone recall anything like this?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

You should extract information by pulling Eck and Blackmail! into a debate on the subject.

I make no promises that it will be intelligible.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I've been interested in the subject of globalization and consumerism since I heard an Alternative Radio program featuring Swedish linguist, Helena Norberg-Hodge. I just finished her book: Ancient Futures, and I also have perused her website: International Society For Ecology and Culture.

ISEC has a ton of articles. I'm not sure any deal specifically with France, but they might. What I learned from reading her though, is that globalization involves numerous series of events that totally anihilate local culture, replacing it with a monoculture which is becoming pervasive throughout the world. So, in effect, the characteristics of French globalization won't be very different from the effects of Japanese globalization from Tibetan globalization, etc.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

Shaunward: I am really looking for information on how it affects the economy.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    ENTP

I've worked for a couple of multi nationals, and France is a tricky market who resist conformity... they are a natrualyl contrary nation, which I like about them.

They tend to be slow to try new products, and there is a great neer to possition products for their market.

Not really sure what else you want to know

Quote Originally Posted by Antimony View Post
    Shaunward: I am really looking for information on how it affects the economy.
    They'll cling to their political systems that will prop up their working class, otherwise they would find their compensation decrease (labour competition). I foresee them becoming increasingly pro-labour/unions/et cetera before it becomes simply untenable.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    You should extract information by pulling Eck and Blackmail! into a debate on the subject.

I make no promises that it will be intelligible.
    How dare you, you mean, mean spongy thing! :steam:

---

Of course it will be more or less intelligible. But first, maybe we'll need to understand what kind of globalization Antimony is talking about. Is it just a slogan? Is it the economy? Is it just a cultural process?

With the same word, we could discuss several unrelated or almost unrelated topics. For instance, economically, France is far more open to foreign markets than let's say, the United States, China and Japan. There's no possible comparisons about that, because it's a global political trend you see within the EU: there are rules and directives each state-members must respect or pay the price.

In comparison, the US are a very protectionist market, a fact that says all about the current hypocrisy of their successive goverments. They pretend to be pro-free market only when it serves their purpose: it's never the other way around.
    And in Japan, it's exactly the same, but they are considerably less hypocritical about that obvious fact.

The only true globalized economy of the world is the UK. For them, it's like a cult, an ideology. But in the process of the Thatcher years, they destroyed their "real" economy, and they have no industries left, nothing aside of occasional speculative bubbles. The consequence is curious: when the world economy grows, theirs grows very fast. When it contracts, they immediately endure the worst recessionary period of Europe. So in the end, it doesn't work so well. Not bad, but not so well either. Plus, the social inequalities are getting worst each year: British poors are slowly getting poorer, while in the same time the gentry and the nouveau riches are getting incredibly richer. UK economy is more and more limited to the London stock exchange (and that represents an incredible strength: it drains every living force within UK), while the rest of the country is devastated. While the GNP/inhabitants of London is considerably higher than Switzerland, the one of Liverpool or Sheffield is more or less at the same level than Portugal.

No other country in continental Europe could endure this, it's probably a cultural fact.

Anyway, I do not think the UK economical model cannot really work outside of the London metropolitan area, because the truth is that not a lot of countries envy their actual situation, and would like to copy it.

---

Anyway, the UK represents an extreme on the scale of markets openness. And like many others, France is quite afraid of the consequences of that kind of extreme paroxystic ideology. But so are Germany, Italy, Scandinavia, every country within the EU!

It's not a role-model we'd like to follow.

---

But once again, in the same time, the paradox is that Euro zone is the closest area in the world to what you can call a free economy. And France is only an average member of the Euro zone: the situation is very similar to what you would find in Germany or in the Benelux. And nobody complains about that.

What attracts the attention of the common US man of the street, is only the fact that in France, cultural institutions are heavily subsidized. But that's all, that would be not such a big deal, if it wasn't such a symbolic decision.
    France acts like a symbol, a scapegoat, but who really cares?

We're such a small country compared to titans like China, India, the US or many others. Our glory days are gone, but at least, within Europe, we can still do a difference. Realistically, we've realized Europe is our only future: maybe that's the real meaning of globalization?
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 01-31-2010 at 12:35 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI