User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    NICE

Thumbs up Bears and Penguins.

West of The Olde Merry, east of the land of the little people lies a place called Whales. Named after the largest creatuer in the sea, the Whelch (as they are called) are the descendants of Irish-folk that were unable to swim. So they had to stay and fight the Merrylanders, something they think they're very good at but are, in fact, hopeless.

Learn your history. Watch Zulu - a few Zulus are surrounded at Rourkes Drift, armed only with spears and straw hats. There, they succeeded in repulsing literally millions of singing Whelshmen armed with modern self-loading rifles.

Anyway. Times change. But some things are as old as the hills surrounding Rourkes Drift. Like shopping in one's Jim-Jams and slippers for fags and scotch.

'You used to always be allowed in Tescos. But not now, it is ridiculous and stupid. I've got lovely pairs of pyjamas, with bears and penguins on them. I've worn my best ones today, just so I look tidy.'
    Elaine Carmody, Whelch Person

BBC News - Tesco ban on shoppers in pyjamas
    Cover up! No shopping in PJs or barefoot, Tesco tells shoppers as it becomes first supermarket to unveil a dress code | Mail Online

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

How dare you make fun of our beloved Whelch cousins, you mean, mean cat with a hat and a monocle?

-As a matter of fact, they knew how to swim: that's why you have this curious place called Bhrittany, the land of my fathers-
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    NICE

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    How dare you make fun of our beloved Whelch cousins, you mean, mean cat with a hat and a monocle?

-As a matter of fact, they knew how to swim: that's why you have this curious place called Bhrittany, the land of my fathers-
    Bretons! I eat 'em for breakfast.

The closest I ever came to being confused as to which country I was in, was on a cycling holiday through the Netherlands. Friesland is a very confusing place. In Snits, a cat peed on my bike. Then again it was Friday and Friesland not Tuesday and Belgium.

The fascinating element to this tale is that it is set in a place called St. Mellons. I may move there soon...

MBTI
    INTP

A Welshman was originally a foreigner.
    Not any more.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A Welshman was originally a foreigner.
    Not any more.
    But at exactly what point did the foreigner become a local?

I am part-Kantian, in my view of shopping in PJs. That is to say sometimes I would object sometimes and other times not. In this case I do not, because clearly bears and penguins are okay. I'm also a part-time vegetarian, which ties in with the part-time Kantianism.

A couple of years ago, an old pal was being treated for cancer. Prior to the treatment he'd go to the pub in his PJs. The Merrylanders were wonderfully accepting and are a fair people. He died in January, but had a few nice drinks with new friends prior to saying Adios.

Want a pint in your PJs or dressed up as a penguin? No problem in the Old Merry.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

One mother wrote that she was warned to wear high heels and lipstick when she collected her daughter up from nursery or the other mothers would not invite her to social occasions.
    Yeaaaah... this isn't just about PJ's as such. It's about foolish 'dress codes' people have in general.

Do yeu think the store wants such controversy, or to loose whot's apparently a significant portion of their shoppers? Probably not...

Why would they add such a ban? Because of stupid loud mouthed people complaining.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to go into the store in a bikini, but fully clothed in PJ's is offensive!

Why? Because yeu were in a rush in the morning to get the kids off to school and while yeu were out, figured yeu'd take 2 minutes out to grab milk at the store because yeu're out of milk for breakfast?

I don't see anything wrong with that really. They're 'dressed', sure it looks a little silly, but who cares? Why SHOULD yeu care?

We have no problems with people wearing so many piercings they could put curtain drapes up on their eyebrow piercings, nor do we mind purple hair, and 87% of yeur body surface being tattooed. We don't even mind people having a "kiss my butt" tattoo on their butt for some reason, even when they show it off in semi-public (seen people do this ...).

But if yeu wear pajamas yeu're kinda... rude? Why?

I think it comes down to this ridiculous obsession of needing to put effort and emphasis into "prettying up for the public".

Men generally have... well... pants and shirt and they're done, they won't even bother with PJ's normally because it's literally the same amount of clothing.

A woman is expected to wear make up and heels and a dress, a blouse, shirt, vest, more layers of clothing to go out and 'look nice' than I'm willing to put on in a snowstorm here, to be honest.

I know I don't dress traditionally, nor am I ever going to. I avoid social functions which expect me to wear a dress. Screw that.

The issue isn't about PJ's at all really, but enforcing the "need" for women to be dressed up and spend hours of their day to "look good" for the public.

As yeu'll note in the articles listed... no men were doing this. Because men don't need to spend an hour or two a day trying to look good.

I think it's ridiculous, and were I in that area myself, I'd start shopping every day in PJ's out of spite.

Thank you Katsuni. I wasn't sure if this thread was about PJ's or the Welsh.

So this thread is about PJ's? I shop all the time in sweats and flipflops. Lately, I've been wearing bedroom slippers as well, but haven't quite made the jump to the "full shopping experience" with bedroom slippers. I'll just walk in and out with a Starbucks with them or something. [edit] Should add that I want to move back to a beach area. People barely care what you wear in these places.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Yeaaaah... this isn't just about PJ's as such. It's about foolish 'dress codes' people have in general.

Do yeu think the store wants such controversy, or to loose whot's apparently a significant portion of their shoppers? Probably not...

Why would they add such a ban? Because of stupid loud mouthed people complaining.

Yes, it's perfectly fine to go into the store in a bikini, but fully clothed in PJ's is offensive!
    I'm sure someone would tell you to put some clothes on if you went to a store in your bikini. It might not be a guy that says it though

Why? Because yeu were in a rush in the morning to get the kids off to school and while yeu were out, figured yeu'd take 2 minutes out to grab milk at the store because yeu're out of milk for breakfast?

I don't see anything wrong with that really. They're 'dressed', sure it looks a little silly, but who cares? Why SHOULD yeu care?
    That's a legitimate case, but if such a person just wore pyjamas every time they came into the store for no particular reason, people should be annoyed. It shows that you have no respect for yourself or anyone else. Putting on clothes is a pretty quick and painless thing, provided that you're not a cripple.

Regardless of what you might think, appropriate clothing does have worth. Look at the paper bills in your wallet, they only mean something to you because they mean something to other people. When you dress properly, other people will notice that you are willing to put in effort for their sake. It's a small token, just like holding the door open for someone else or giving up your seat for the elderly.

We have no problems with people wearing so many piercings they could put curtain drapes up on their eyebrow piercings, nor do we mind purple hair, and 87% of yeur body surface being tattooed. We don't even mind people having a "kiss my butt" tattoo on their butt for some reason, even when they show it off in semi-public (seen people do this ...).

But if yeu wear pajamas yeu're kinda... rude? Why?

I think it comes down to this ridiculous obsession of needing to put effort and emphasis into "prettying up for the public".
    Most people do find these piercings and tattoos rude. I remember going to the library and recieving an underhanded, distasteful welcoming because I was wearing a shirt that said "an awkward morning beats a boring night". The only reason these things aren't banned in public is because it's impossible to police.

In the workplace, you're expected to have that sort of thing covered up or taken off because not only is it bad for business image, it might flare up conflicts between workmates and customers. Same thing goes in public, you don't want your area to be known for being populated by bogans or something, you'd much rather it be known as a reputable community full of friendly people.

Men generally have... well... pants and shirt and they're done, they won't even bother with PJ's normally because it's literally the same amount of clothing.

A woman is expected to wear make up and heels and a dress, a blouse, shirt, vest, more layers of clothing to go out and 'look nice' than I'm willing to put on in a snowstorm here, to be honest.

I know I don't dress traditionally, nor am I ever going to. I avoid social functions which expect me to wear a dress. Screw that.
    Men are expected to wear a suit to some social functions, to shave and ensure that they look their best. But there is almost no self expression in a black suit. You can have a coloured tye, but you're going to look almost exactly the same as the next guy.

The point of wearing a suit and conforming to dress code, is to show that you are cooperative and loyal to your family, your friends and your community. You can choose to wear whatever you want, but what you wear is going to have a variety of effects on what people think of you.

The issue isn't about PJ's at all really, but enforcing the "need" for women to be dressed up and spend hours of their day to "look good" for the public.

As yeu'll note in the articles listed... no men were doing this. Because men don't need to spend an hour or two a day trying to look good.

I think it's ridiculous, and were I in that area myself, I'd start shopping every day in PJ's out of spite.
    Enforcing a dress code is a measure put in place to ensure that there is no mess, you don't want to turn up to a party mistakenly wearing something offensive and start a fight.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    infp

Tesco breaches its own pyjama ban - with ad featuring Martin Clunes shopping in jim jams

Tesco sent a clear message last week by banning shoppers in pyjamas, saying it could 'cause offence or embarassment to other customers'.

Unfortunately, it forgot that its own advertisement features Martin Clunes buying milk in a pair of jim jams.

In the 2007 ad campaign, Mr Clunes, who stars in Men Behaving Badly, is seen rushing into a Tesco in striped pyjamas to do a quick bit of shopping before heading off on a camping trip.

Link

Personally I have no issues with someone running into tesco quickly to grab a few bits in pj's that look no different from most peoples daywear, I wouldn't go in my pj's but that's because they aren't appropriate at all.

I can understand the footwear call, what kind of nutter goes shopping with no shoes on? Madness.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post

Personally I have no issues with someone running into tesco quickly to grab a few bits in pj's that look no different from most peoples daywear, I wouldn't go in my pj's but that's because they aren't appropriate at all.

I can understand the footwear call, what kind of nutter goes shopping with no shoes on? Madness.
    Technically sandals are not really "footwear", they're just a sole and something to attach it to the foot, so yeu don't step on hot pavement or glass.

And these are considered perfectly fine.