User Tag List

First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 112

  1. #71
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Bipartisanship is overrated. Needing a super majority to get anything passed, gridlock, and filibustering hurts us in the long run.
    i voted for obama, but i disagree with this. i think its admirable to try to be bipartisan. 70% of republicans like obama's character. dood, that kind of statistic will be once in a lifetime for a democratic president. i want to see where this goes. i mean, for the rest of my life, i will probably never see a guy like obama again so why not see if it can happen his way.

  2. #72
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    i voted for obama, but i disagree with this. i think its admirable to try to be bipartisan. 70% of republicans like obama's character. dood, that kind of statistic will be once in a lifetime for a democratic president. i want to see where this goes. i mean, for the rest of my life, i will probably never see a guy like obama again so why not see if it can happen his way.
    We have less than three years before the election. We simply don't have the time to just wait and see. Unfortunately, we don't have another option between Obama and asshole Republican.

  3. #73
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    i voted for obama, but i disagree with this. i think its admirable to try to be bipartisan.
    Sure, you always have to try bipartisanship. If for nothing else, just because it's a lot easier to get things passed with bipartisan support.

    But Republicans are going so far as to actually not support policies that they once were totally in favor of, just because Obama or Democrats propose them.

    Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    70% of republicans like obama's character. dood, that kind of statistic will be once in a lifetime for a democratic president. i want to see where this goes. i mean, for the rest of my life, i will probably never see a guy like obama again so why not see if it can happen his way.
    • 39 percent of Republicans believe Obama should be impeached, 29 percent are not sure, 32 percent said he should not be voted out of office.
    • 36 percent of Republicans believe Obama was not born in the United States, 22 percent are not sure, 42 percent think he is a natural citizen.
    • 31 percent of Republicans believe Obama is a "Racist who hates White people" -- the description once adopted by Fox News's Glenn Beck. 33 percent were not sure, and 36 percent said he was not a racist.
    • 63 percent of Republicans think Obama is a socialist, 16 percent are not sure, 21 percent say he is not
    • 24 percent of Republicans believe Obama wants "the terrorists to win," 33 percent aren't sure, 43 percent said he did not want the terrorist to win.
    • 21 percent of Republicans believe ACORN stole the 2008 election, 55 percent are not sure, 24 percent said the community organizing group did not steal the election.
    • 23 percent of Republicans believe that their state should secede from the United States, 19 percent aren't sure, 58 percent said no.
    • 53 percent of Republicans said they believe Sarah Palin is more qualified to be president than Obama.


    Large Portion Of GOP Thinks Obama Is Racist, Socialist, Non-U.S. Citizen: Poll

    Wow. Although some of this can be explained by the fact that moderates in large numbers have stopped identifying as Republicans. I don't even think there's an out-of-the-closet Republican on this forum. So the only people that are really left is the far-right and the teabaggers, and old people.

  4. #74
    mountain surfing nomadic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Posts
    1,709

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sure, you always have to try bipartisanship. If for nothing else, just because it's a lot easier to get things passed with bipartisan support.

    But Republicans are going so far as to actually not support policies that they once were totally in favor of, just because Obama or Democrats propose them.
    maybe im naive, but i think republican voters will see that obama is a down to earth christian, who wants the best for this country, and start to chastise their congressmen. nancy pelosi, i mean, i lived in SF before, she is listening to her base. but obama chastised the democrats too...

    either way, i think the more obama talks on public tv to the people, townhalls, republicans, congress, etc... the more things will get done.

  5. #75
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    maybe im naive, but i think republican voters will see that obama is a down to earth christian
    I don't even really think Obama is a real Christian. He hasn't even chosen an official Church to attend, and rarely stops by one.

    But of course, atheists don't get elected. Americans would sooner elect a Muslim. Obama's middle name can be Hussein, that's okay, but if it was Darwin, he'd be done.

    Quote Originally Posted by nomadic View Post
    either way, i think the more obama talks on public tv to the people, townhalls, republicans, congress, etc... the more things will get done.
    Definitely true. And that's the strategy the White House is using right now. Obama all the time, and put Harry Reid and Pelosi out of the spotlight and behind the scenes.

    It's working too, the SOTU and the Republican Q&A had a direct cause on his recent poll bump.

  6. #76
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I don't even really think Obama is a real Christian. He hasn't even chosen an official Church to attend, and rarely stops by one.

    Really? Obama seems to me to be one of the MOST religious of modern presidents.


    Obama Mentions Jesus More Than Bush but Acknowledges the Godless More, Too - God & Country (usnews.com)

    http://www.newsweek.com/id/145971
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #77
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Bipartisanship is overrated. Needing a super majority to get anything passed, gridlock, and filibustering hurts us in the long run.
    Not really. In fact, the country would be FAR better off in the long run if they need a 2/3rds majority to pass any legislation, and only 1/3rd minority to repeal any legislation. Were you singing the same tune when Republicans controlled boths houses of Congress and the White House?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #78
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Really? More religious than Reagan, George W., JFK? George H.W. was pretty private about his religion, but was religious. He's an introvert after all.

    Obama strikes me as about as irreligious as Bill Clinton and Nixon. And as your article pointed out, he acknowledges the non-religious probably more than any President. And he doesn't go to Church, I think every President before him has picked an official Church, at the least he's a non-practicing Christian. At the end of some of his speeches, he'll quickly invoke God, but it's usually not the central theme. He's not going to go to war because God told him to, or anything like that.

    All major politicians have to pay homage to religion, even to sign into office. If he is an atheist, he's not going to admit it. I think he's probably agnostic.

  9. #79
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Not really. In fact, the country would be FAR better off in the long run if they need a 2/3rds majority to pass any legislation, and only 1/3rd minority to repeal any legislation.
    Then nothing gets done. Not everyone is an anti-government libertarian that wants public officials to do close to nothing. But libertarians also want far reaching changes in government, much more so than typical moderates.

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Were you singing the same tune when Republicans controlled boths houses of Congress and the White House?
    Of course not. Not publicly. lol..

  10. #80
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Then nothing gets done. Not everyone is an anti-government libertarian. But libertarians also want swift changes in government, much more so than typical moderates.
    I have to say, as someone who's definitely not a libertarian, I'm disturbed by the standard practice in Washington. It's remarkable how many people passed the Patriot Act essentially without reading it. That's because right now, the default is that a bill passes. I would like that convention to be reversed, and that the default is that a bill doesn't pass. Right now, the legislature is too bill happy.

    My experience has been if you have a choice between letting in 5% of everything, or 95% of everything, the results are much more disasterous when you let in 95%.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-08-2015, 09:08 PM
  2. The Scientific State of the MBTI
    By funtensity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 11-20-2013, 10:32 AM
  3. State of the Union
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-19-2009, 01:16 PM
  4. What are you guys feeling about the state of affairs now?
    By Risen in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
  5. A World beyond Politics? A Defense of the Nation-State
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 07:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO