User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    It's all fascinating to me now. I understand more of the terminology that is used after having had experience in the world. Still, a lot of political talk is jargon to me. I'm a sensor in this way. Why aren't financial, legal, and political ideas written or spoken in plain English?
    I've found that either it's because such expressions are older than plain english or because plain english lacks the terminology; such a translation would result in lost precision.

I don't know what expressions you're talking about, specifically, though. Give me some examples.

I watched the address but couldn't convince my 14 yo to sit and watch. I couldn't stand to watch political speeches when that age either. Maybe part of my personality, boring, boring, boring.

It's all fascinating to me now. I understand more of the terminology that is used after having had experience in the world. Still, a lot of political talk is jargon to me. I'm a sensor in this way. Why aren't financial, legal, and political ideas written or spoken in plain English?

The function of language is twofold: to facilitate communication, understanding, and thought, or to prevent it.
    -- Garrett Hardin

Obama is an inveterate liar, and intelligent liars attempt to conceal their lies. In politics, this is often accomplished by means of

Obfuscation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See also

Politics and the English Language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've always liked Obama, voted for him, and in many ways I am a democrat or socially liberal person more than a conservative at heart...At any rate Obama didn't create the mess the US has gotten into and noone should expect that he would have taken care of all our problems by now. That is naieve.
    I can assure you, that if Obama remains President, in one years time our economic situation will have deteriorated further, with massive unemployment being joined by significant inflation. And I can assure you that Obama will 1) claim that the prolonged economic crisis is a result of the Bush administration --"I inherited it"--and that 2) without his efforts things would be even worse.

And some people, even one year from today, will believe him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'd be surprised if the economic situation got much worse, no matter who is POTUS. Some big bumps are due, but I can't say they'll happen in one years time or later. That being said, I think a lot of people could have navigated better with the economic situation better than him. A lot of the rhetoric he's pushing for I think is unhealthy to the economy in the long rung (and that Bush pushed for toward the end of his term).

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    I can assure you, that if Obama remains President, in one years time our economic situation will have deteriorated further, with massive unemployment being joined by significant inflation. And I can assure you that Obama will 1) claim that the prolonged economic crisis is a result of the Bush administration --"I inherited it"--and that 2) without his efforts things would be even worse.

And some people, even one year from today, will believe him.
    No, we're definitely in recovery. I'm not sure what data you're basing your prediction on, probably nothing.

GDP report: Best growth in six years - Jan. 29, 2010
    US economy growing at fastest rate for six years - Business News, Business - The Independent

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    This is also nice, and more to the point:

Works and Days

The Obamarang

And it is, sort of.
    Wow. I guess you really don't like him.

I voted for the other guy. The reason is I thought Obama was a bullshitter with no track record. I have to admit that he is inspirational and a communicator which is not a bad thing in these times. I've grown to like him more over time. I do think that he has tried to do too many things in too short of a time frame.

In either case, I sincerely hope you're wrong, for all of us. We're stuck with him.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

There's so much terminology I don't understand and can't give examples right now. There's a lot of financial terms that I'd like clarification on and maybe I will include tomorrow. I can't really understand politics when I don't understand finances. The US is so bent on being the economic powerhouse. I really can't relate to this sentiment. The speech was straightforward but the implicit message about the economy, war, and healthcare is wrapped around and embedded in convoluted and intricate laws, protocol, traditional thought, that I get kind of lost and uncaring after hearing it talked about for so long without a background in what's being said.

I don't see Obama as a liar. He doesn't come across to me like that. He's doing the best he can imo.

My wish for my country is to provide healthcare for all citizens, education that means providing for self foremost, equal pay for equal work, green jobs, green outlook and leading the world in making a more sustainable universe for everyone, free travel around the globe, decrease in violence and hatred all around, just general prosperity. Why does everyone have to fight so much anyway? I do not get power trips.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

What type is he anyway? I have thought ENFJ.

There's so much terminology I don't understand and can't give examples right now. There's a lot of financial terms that I'd like clarification on and maybe I will include tomorrow. I can't really understand politics when I don't understand finances. The US is so bent on being the economic powerhouse. I really can't relate to this sentiment.
    Being an economic powerhouse is and likely always will be my main concern in politics. Little else really matters for me. I'm generally apathetic toward social issues.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    Being an economic powerhouse is and likely always will be my main concern in politics. Little else really matters for me. I'm generally apathetic toward social issues.
    Why? Don't you want to use money to make the world a better place socially?