User Tag List

First 234

I wear wool, do the animal people have a problem with sheep shearing? I've been trying to think about what animal products people wear on a daily basis. I have several leather belts, since leather is absolutely the best material for belts. I also have leather boots, also the best material. Wool is great for winter socks and as a lining in coats. I've had one coat for ten years, looks like shit now, but it's too comfortable to get rid of. Also, I had a coat once that had some sort of fur, maybe fox, on the inside of the hood.

I would stop wearing leather and wool if someone came up with something that was equivalent in quality, but so far all of the synthetic materials they offer irritate my skin or don't last as long. So, until Peta and co start offering non-irritating, durable alternatives, I will continue wearing animal skin on my feet.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

If I catch anyone hurting a fox, I break their collarbones. That is my code.

MBTI
    INTP

[YOUTUBE="xa1GhdUqrnQ"]Urban Red Fox: 'Meet the Foxes' - Part 1 of 6[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I haven't really given my official opinion on this yet.. so I think I'll take the liberty to do so now before I get my head bitten off anymore.

I don't agree with people using fox furs when other furs more abundant and such exist, not to mention synthetic furs would have been used just as easily in his piece. I just don't think I'm going to convince some pompous ice skater that doesn't put a value on foxes that my way is anymore 'right' than his way.

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Or maybe they just try to fight for all animal rights, including minor ones like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kra View Post
    As a rule, I stay away from giving PETA any form of support or acclaim. Though not directly engaging in violence, they support militants through various other means (mainly monetarily).....
    This. I'm not saying what their initial cause claims isn't in good intentions.. but.. It doesn't mean I support their decisions either. They sure as hell aren't supporting mine. I just happen to agree with a lot of their standings.

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Holy shit, I did a quick Google search and found out...........
    I'm quite aware it's a common act. People do not, as a whole, sympathize with animals. Not many people put animals on the same level as people. I'm not sure why that is.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I have a fur scarf, people often comment on how nice it is and where I got it, and occasionally they ask if it's real........
    Why have a fancy, fast car when 90% of the time you'll never use what's inside? Or a Coach purse? It's a status thing.. it's what they WANT. They WANT to know it's real fur, that it isn't fake. There's nothing practical about fox fur on an ice skater's uniform. Just like there's nothing practical about spending 900$ on a purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
    I wear wool, do the animal people have a problem with sheep shearing?........
    I'm with you on this one entirely. There are a lot of reasons to use animals over synthetic when it comes to functionality. Unfortunately, most of the time, people aren't looking for functionality.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I definitely agree with the guy. How do people focus so hard on foxes when they're wearing other animals and nothing has been done about it?

I don't see Friends of Animals writing to farmers telling them to go back to the way crops used to be harvested because thousands and thousands of insects, spiders, snakes, and field animals are killed in cultivation, and I don't see a bunch of other skaters getting letters saying to switch their skates.. but these "activists" focus on one tiny, insignificant detail and tear it apart so absolutely.

How can people with such a narrow mindset hold their heads so high?
    These cases are mostly done for publicity. To get people like you to make threads on them and such.

Fur farming and killing foxes for fur (the most common method for killing foxes this way is anal electrocution).... I don't have a big problem with making that illegal. It's not like sheering sheep for wool, it doesn't kill them. And sheep are livestock, there is some kind of heirachy on which animals become taboo to kill. Insects at the bottom.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

People like me, eh? I love the running-in-guns-blazing style. I'm sure their diabolical plan worked swimmingly, I played right into their puppeteer's string manipulations.

I'd love to see things like that me made illegal. But I don't think a letter to a stuck up ice skater is going to get us in that direction. Outside of the law, I'm not too keen on pressing my morals onto others.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

i do not approve of the fur industry, but i think the attack on the skater wasn't well done.
    i do and buy enough things in daily life that probably have impacts on animals and the environment that i wouldn't even imagine. this is something that i'm trying to fix, and it's good that organizations are pointing these things out to us (fur isn't a good example, as it's fairly obvious, but..)

then again, i was vegetarian for 10 years, vegan briefly, before i started eating fish again, but have worn wool/silk/leather for the whole ride. i also own fur (small inherited pieces) and was pretty miffed when someone stole my antique fox collar off my coat in a bar a few months ago. wearing fur elicits snide remarks, and i hope people realize there can be a sentimental "heirloom" aspect to older pieces. my best friend was verbally attacked in an airport earlier this month for wearing a full-length silver fox coat, which happens to be one of the only things her favorite grandmother could set aside for her before her death.

wow, off-topic. i'll get a coffee and come back!
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!