User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 25

  1. #11
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    It's all beyond my period, I've taken precious little interest in modern history, but if you asked me obscure questions about Normandy and France in the Middle Ages, I'd whup y'all's asses!

    However, after I realised the first two were 'none of the above', I figured it was 'one of those' trick question type things, and though I didn't know the others, guessed anyway. I didn't know it was Hilary though.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  2. #12
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Hm...I hadn't considered that since I normally see through this kind of junk. It's hard for me to imagine that there are people out there who would really accept that kind of stuff without the context. However, I disagree to an extent. John Stewart and Stephen Colbert use many of the same tactics for humor and they manage to politically motivate people.
    I think there is a significant difference between taking what was done and making fun of it and the degree of which these quote were hacked up and associated... I mean, these weren't out of context, they literally cut words out, combined sentances that were seperated by other sentances and so forth... then they added association on top of it... a false argument with emotional association...

    I'll say the same thing to all the stupid accusations coming from rawstory or similar - this is simply indicative of the political process now... on both sides.

  3. #13
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    ... I mean, these weren't out of context, they literally cut words out, combined sentances that were seperated by other sentances and so forth... then they added association on top of it... a false argument with emotional association...
    I'm sure that's true. Regardless, I don't see anything wrong with the statements in the OP, despite who may or may not have uttered them.

    The truth is, all the statements are true. They are realistic practices for governance for all past and present governments. And anything that contradicts the quotes is created for purposes of rhetoric because the reality of governance is a harsh and difficult business.

    Besides. . . most folks don't want to hear the truth.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  4. #14
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Besides. . . most folks don't want to hear the truth.
    :rolli:


    I believe CTG would be a positive contributor to this site.
    -Haight.


    Can we bring her back now?

  5. #15
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    :rolli:
    So you believe that most people don't realize that the following is true?:

    a/ Some things are taken away from them or others on behalf of the common
    good?

    b/ It's time for a new beginning, for an end to government of the few,
    by the few, and for the few...and to replace it with shared
    responsibility for shared prosperity?


    c/ (We)...can't just let business as usual go on, and that means
    something has to be taken away from some people?

    d/ We have to build a political consensus and that requires people to
    give up a little bit of their own...in order to create this common
    ground?

    e/ The free-market has failed?

    f/ It's time to send a clear message to what has become the
    most profitable sector in (the) entire economy that they are being
    watched?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  6. #16
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    So you believe that most people don't realize that the following is true?:
    *shrug* You've simply shifted the argument onto different grounds. I'm not interested if they are statements accurate to the political process. That can be debated. False association cannot.

  7. #17
    Doesn't Read Your Posts Haight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTj
    Posts
    6,243

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    *shrug* You've simply shifted the argument onto different grounds. I'm not interested if they are statements accurate to the political process. That can be debated. False association cannot.
    So that's a "yes," then?
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

  8. #18
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    So that's a "yes," then?
    No.

  9. #19
    Furry Critter with Claws Kiddo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    OMNi
    Posts
    2,790

    Default

    Weird...

    Well anywho, if people losing faith in the political process is the reason most people don't take action to bring change to this country, then what do we need to do to improve the American political process so people do?

  10. #20
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Well anywho, if people losing faith in the political process is the reason most people don't take action to bring change to this country, then what do we need to do to improve the American political process so people do?
    The email is more a symptom than a cause... the problem is that no one wants to solve problems. In the end it comes down to a lack of rational process in order to solve problems. When two people disagree on how to solve a problem the goal is the same... when two people disagree on some superficial problem (like D vs R), then you end up in what amounts to a flame war... An email like this is just the trolling version of the flame war, so to speak. While it is going on the normal process can't.

    It's the same dynamics as in strata for an apartment building. There is always someone trolling around. If the group loses focus (or are just freaking stupid, which is normally the case) and starts dealing with the abstractions - the camps, etc... then it falls apart.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you know your ABCs...
    By proteanmix in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-20-2017, 05:34 PM
  2. gusy what do you think or know my type is?
    By chado in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-29-2016, 10:38 PM
  3. You know, I think I've found something I'm pretty interested in
    By The Wailing Specter in forum Academics and Careers
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-22-2015, 10:40 PM
  4. Hi, do you think you know my type?
    By lalaland in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-17-2011, 12:14 PM
  5. Hi, I'm an INTP, pleased to meet you and think I know you already based on a glance.
    By charliefoxtrot in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-11-2008, 10:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO