User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Proposing Armed Forces to Privately pay for war injuries.

There's been a dumb chain e-mail running around talking about Obama making war vets pay for their own injuries.

I researched it because my Aunt sent it to me asking for validation, and I did uncover the bit that caused the whole thing.

Snopes.com Story

A floated proposal that military members with injuries would have their PRIVATE health insurance billed for their war injuries. After 48 hours the proposal was dropped..

... Which still begs the question why the government would ever think to put us in a position like that in the first place. It's a bit too hard to swallow to think that our private insurances would be harder to attain, or that the prices would sky-rocket, for the amount of coverage sometimes needed from war-related injuries.

I can't seem to wrap my mind around the concept that "We need to save money" goes straight to "We can save money by not paying for the wars we make our soldiers go to."
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    There's been a dumb chain e-mail running around talking about Obama making war vets pay for their own injuries.

I researched it because my Aunt sent it to me asking for validation, and I did uncover the bit that caused the whole thing.

Snopes.com Story

A floated proposal that military members with injuries would have their PRIVATE health insurance billed for their war injuries. After 48 hours the proposal was dropped..

... Which still begs the question why the government would ever think to put us in a position like that in the first place. It's a bit too hard to swallow to think that our private insurances would be harder to attain, or that the prices would sky-rocket, for the amount of coverage sometimes needed from war-related injuries.

I can't seem to wrap my mind around the concept that "We need to save money" goes straight to "We can save money by not paying for the wars we make our soldiers go to."
    That's criminal.

I wouldn't be against the idea of the US sending a bill to companies like Blackwater and Exxon for war injuries sustained by troops.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Probably one of those retarded management-style ideas tossed in during a 'brainstorming session' where 'no idea is a dumb idea'.

Someone sat down, looked at how much was being spent on it, and tried to pass the buck in a pure total corporate management mindset.

This's whot happens when virtually everyone in government either owns a company, or is a lawyer.

Fortunately it doesn't take long for something THAT dumb to be pointed out how retarded an idea it is.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post

Snopes.com Story

I think perhaps it was an attempt to highlight the issues surrounding the social consequences of injury and illness and how its paid for.

Why is public insurance considered anathema by most conservatives and libertarians but something which they believe could or should be used to provide the services required by injured war veterans?

If you believe in individual personal responsibility in a strict sense and would not compell anyone or even encourage anyone to make any kind of sacrifice or pay any kind of heavy personal cost in the service of others then you equally dont believe in any obligation by the same others to that individual.

A veteran returning with injuries diminishing their capacity to work or dependent on others by virtue of injury therefore has not provided a service but experienced a personal cost, the result of an occupational hazard of which they were or should have been fully cognizant before enlistening.

Then there's the question of if war vets are entitled to a special tax relief benefit in the shape of health services should other public services be too? Only the emergency services? Or any that incures a risk? And why just public services?

Its been just one of a 101 probable attempts by US liberals to move on the debates about public health care from "I'm not paying for your grandmothers medication", "pay for it yourself you lazy ass", "get a job" etc.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    That's criminal.

I wouldn't be against the idea of the US sending a bill to companies like Blackwater and Exxon for war injuries sustained by troops.
    Right, it's a different issue entirely if it were civilian contracts. But the basic principles of the military (one of they're leading attractions) is that active army never has to worry about things like health care.

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Probably one of those retarded management-style ideas tossed in during a 'brainstorming session' where 'no idea is a dumb idea'.

Someone sat down, looked at how much was being spent on it, and tried to pass the buck in a pure total corporate management mindset.

This's whot happens when virtually everyone in government either owns a company, or is a lawyer.

Fortunately it doesn't take long for something THAT dumb to be pointed out how retarded an idea it is.
    Fortunately, for now. But it is worrying that ideas like this are tossed in the air. It's like "Well, X country's going hungry.. maybe we should tell them to eat babies to survive."

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I think perhaps it was an attempt to highlight the issues surrounding the social consequences of injury and illness and how its paid for.

Why is public insurance considered anathema by most conservatives and libertarians but something which they believe could or should be used to provide the services required by injured war veterans?

If you believe in individual personal responsibility in a strict sense and would not compell anyone or even encourage anyone to make any kind of sacrifice or pay any kind of heavy personal cost in the service of others then you equally dont believe in any obligation by the same others to that individual.

A veteran returning with injuries diminishing their capacity to work or dependent on others by virtue of injury therefore has not provided a service but experienced a personal cost, the result of an occupational hazard of which they were or should have been fully cognizant before enlistening.

Then there's the question of if war vets are entitled to a special tax relief benefit in the shape of health services should other public services be too? Only the emergency services? Or any that incures a risk? And why just public services?

Its been just one of a 101 probable attempts by US liberals to move on the debates about public health care from "I'm not paying for your grandmothers medication", "pay for it yourself you lazy ass", "get a job" etc.
    Highlight the issue of social consequences of injuries and illness? Forgive me if I interpreted your post wrong, but.. I don't think something that caused enough outrage from the veteran's boards and public to be dropped within 48 hours was all a big elaborate way of highlighting social issues or making a statement about anything. It was a proposal to save money. I sure hope the people in office at least take their jobs seriously enough to attend to business in a serious manner, whether the ideas are retarded or not.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Highlight the issue of social consequences of injuries and illness? Forgive me if I interpreted your post wrong, but.. I don't think something that caused enough outrage from the veteran's boards and public to be dropped within 48 hours was all a big elaborate way of highlighting social issues or making a statement about anything. It was a proposal to save money. I sure hope the people in office at least take their jobs seriously enough to attend to business in a serious manner, whether the ideas are retarded or not.
    I dont doubt it was about cost cutting.

However dont you think that an administration which favours public rather than private health insurance would be interested to see what reactions private cover provoked when applied to the most valourised sections of US society?

Just seems like political common sense.

MBTI
    INTx

<Devil Advocate>

Would not injuries sustained in a profession one takes up voluntarily be considered an occupational hazard?

</Devil Advocate>

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

No, they are usually covered by worker's compensation.

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    Would not injuries sustained in a profession one takes up voluntarily be considered an occupational hazard?
    Also I'll award 50 nerd points for anyone who caught the double entendre there.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Surrrre.