User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you charitable?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I give a percentage of my salary each pay period.

2 10.53%
  • Yes, when the opportunity presents itself and it is within my means.

13 68.42%
  • I'll give you a hand up, but the rest is up to you (providing you are able bodied).

1 5.26%
  • I give a lot, but I like to remain anonymous.

1 5.26%
  • I simply can't afford to, but I will give my time.

1 5.26%
  • No, I have my own problems.

1 5.26%
  • Get a clue! You and your problems aren't my problem. (Hopefully no one will check this box)

0 0%
12 Last

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Default Are you charitable?

This topic has been on my mind lately and I am curious as to what others thoughts are on this subject.

I believe it's nice to give back when an opportunity presents itself. I think that "One act of random kindness at a time" is a great place to start.

What I don't like is the attempt to guilt me into giving. Awareness is fine, but getting right in someones face and pressuring them to do something they either don't feel comfortable doing, can't afford to do or just don't support the cause is unacceptable in my book.

I also don't want any glory in my giving. I gave or helped out because I wanted to. I also prefer to help those who are at least attempting to help themselves.

I have a neighbor who is on WIC and I they really don't need it. Her former boss offered her the opportunity to have her old job back and this time she could do it from home part time and still earn $35,000 a year. I told her that was awesome and to go for it! It would give her a sense of accomplishment ,break for at least a few hours a day from her triplets and they could certainly use the extra money! And since the women from her Church come every day to help out with the triplets, she wouldn't have to pay much for childcare.

Well she declined the offer and things are still very tight financially for them which has put even more of a strain on their already stressful household.

In conclusion I don't think caring is creepy, but how much is too much?
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

I hope I am. I could probably stand to do much more.

I try to help those whose financial situations seem dire. As an example, I tend to frequent lower-income restaurants around holidays and leave exorbitant tips.

Last Thanksgiving, I left a $181 tip for a cup of coffee. (I fold the single dollar over the top of the other bills, so as to avoid suspicion)

It isn't really a big deal, but I'd like to think it helps a bit.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Can some random nice person contribute their time to make this poll multiple choice? Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I hope I am. I could probably stand to do much more.

I try to help those whose financial situations seem dire. As an example, I tend to frequent lower-income restaurants around holidays and leave exorbitant tips.

Last Thanksgiving, I left a $181 tip for a cup of coffee. (I fold the single dollar over the top of the other bills, so as to avoid suspicion)

It isn't really a big deal, but I'd like to think it helps a bit.
    I like that. You paid it forward and I'm sure it was a big deal for her.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Can some random nice person contribute their time to make this poll multiple choice? Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

I like that. You paid it forward and I'm sure it was a big deal for her.
    I think anonymity is important, though. Reputation shouldnt be forged from the palms of compassionate works (unless one's reputation creates an opportunity for others to offer themselves in turn).

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I think anonymity is important, though. Reputation shouldnt be forged from the palms of compassionate works (unless one's reputation creates an opportunity for others to offer themselves in turn).
    With the poll in this thread, or in general? Definitely anonymous with the poll and I prefer anonymity irl as well.

PS please be patient, as I am not as intellectual as you

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Hrm. I feel like I'm rather generous with my time (and sometimes even money) if a friend (or even an acquaintance) of mine needs help. Honestly, I enjoy being able to help people out, and will go a long way out of my way, even if it just means being a ear for someone who needs it.

But to anonymous strangers? I don't know, I suppose I'm guilty of ignoring them, to a certain extent. Given, I'm young and not financially independant, so I don't really have the means to give very much, but neither do I have a huge desire to. Perhaps when I'm older and more capable?

Although the 'human element' is very important to me, I think...
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    With the poll in this thread, or in general? Definitely anonymous with the poll and I prefer anonymity irl as well.

PS please be patient, as I am not as intellectual as you
    I'm certainly not much to speak of. You're quite the opposite. The empathy of the INFJ overwhelms the (somtimes) singularity of the INTJ.

To answer your question, I would say both. Fortunately, the pseudonyms we adopt on forum sites allow for this precondition to (potentially) occur.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I decided a long time ago that I won't give any money to any charity until I'm out of debt myself (from school). It just doesn't make sense to. After that, I'll see. I'd be more likely to give money to the local humane shelter than to starving kids in africa though.

However, I will give money to a friend (hasn't happened) or my mom (happens a lot) if I think they actually need it more than I do.

Time, I could volunteer, but eh...I don't want to.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't do "charity", or rather that I am quite particular about how I exert any influence with money. Time, however, I have done plenty of - but not "charity" work - volunteer work. I helped out at schools and community centers... plays and parties. Not those in need as much as those that will pay dividends going forward... I would not, for example, help at a homeless center or some such.

I also do not donate to charities - most notably, any charity that is built upon social pressures (ie: wear a button, wear jeans, etc). I may help out a local team or club (as in something I can attend) if it aligns well with my views, although I do not believe in donating there either unless I participate (I will, for example, join a "chess club" and pay more than my dues to help out those that are unable to - retired folk, etc - or just buy nicer sets/etc for everyone's benefit). I will consider buying over priced chocolate and go to a bake sales, although most of the time I dislike the methods done there too (for example, sports teams raising money when their parents enrolled them - sorry, no go, parents pay). But kids or adults trying to do it on their own? That I do support. I'd rather give my time, however, because money is a very temporary fix. I've done everything from spreadsheet development for friends to statistical analysis for a group advocating health reform... Those kinds of things are different than "charity" to me. The "girl scout cookies thing" irritates me - it buys one experience, etc. The real gain would be if they were out volunteering themselves, not working for minimal money, based only upon social views.

Nothing fits in the poll - I can afford to, but I don't... But it is likely that I am in the top 25%, if not higher, on time spent helping. Though I suppose that has become a whole lot rarer now... time sure is difficult when you are trying to study, work and all that life stuff.

MBTI
    INFJ

I try to give at least a little amount in the collection basket at my church every Sunday, especially when I start worrying about how much money I have. Then I tend to give more. It helps me remember that I should not look for life security to be totally with the power of money.