User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are you charitable?

19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I give a percentage of my salary each pay period.

2 10.53%
  • Yes, when the opportunity presents itself and it is within my means.

13 68.42%
  • I'll give you a hand up, but the rest is up to you (providing you are able bodied).

1 5.26%
  • I give a lot, but I like to remain anonymous.

1 5.26%
  • I simply can't afford to, but I will give my time.

1 5.26%
  • No, I have my own problems.

1 5.26%
  • Get a clue! You and your problems aren't my problem. (Hopefully no one will check this box)

0 0%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you charitable?

4 so/sp

I don't think money/material goods are often the best solution to many of the social issues out there; basically in most cases I don't think it gets to the root of the real problems. But I won't get into that. Basically, I don't donate to any social/people-based organizations.

I donate to a few environmental organizations (organizations where I believe the money is making a tangible difference at the root - not just a quick fix), because that is most important to me, and what I **most value** in life. [And no, I'm not your stereotypical 'tree-hugger' - I think a lot of the environmental activists have more of a counterproductive/alienating approach than one that's actually going to enact change on a cultural level]

I like to help within my means. Usually this takes the form of donation of clothing and other items to the Salvation Army, donation to the local rescue mission at the holidays, and monetary donations to an organization that has made a significant impact on my life. I immediately rule out any hard sells, and I do not give money to people on the street. I would rather give it to a reputable organization and let that person find relief by taking advantage of these organizations.

I'm more than willing to volunteer my time (when I have time) to help people, if I feel that they really need the help. I volunteered at libraries to teach children to read, I volunteered at the hospital or extended care homes and visited seniors that have no one, and I volunteered for day camps and such. I don't now because I don't really have the time in the city anymore.

I'm not one who donates to charities because I don't agree with the causes and I don't think that money is the solution to the problem. I would rather volunteer time to help solve the problem, not give money.

I agree with FMW, I wouldn't give money to people on the street because I don't think it would help them, although, I have given them food before.

How charitable I am just depends on whether I think it will help or not to the overall cause. The problem is, I don't think most charity helps the overall reason of the cause.
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.