User Tag List

First 9101112 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The U.S. has been DIRECTLY responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. That doesn't negate the fact that the Soviet Union was a gigantic deathfest for decades.
    Negate? Huh?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Negate? Huh?
    What I am saying is that tcda was completely off-base with the "almost no crime, look at the murder rate" crap. The Soviet government actually killed more of its own citizens in two years than American criminals killed in the entire period that the Soviet Union existed.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

I actually garee with you to an extent Pure Mercury. I don't defend the leadership of the Soviet Union post-1928. I still think though that day to day, the US was and is more violent than the Soviet Union for most people, at l east from the 1960 onwards. Though I don't deny the systematic repression carried out by the bureaucracy.

Also, FWIW, I think I overreacted to you in my initial posts here, I had mistakenly assumed you were a supporter of US foreign policy, as that is what most people who make a point of attacking Chavez are (though like I say I dislike him myself, though from another angle). Basically I don't think we are going anywhere in this argument so I am bowing out of it for now, nothing against you I just honestly don't see where it's going.

So, see you around the forum maybe (I will still be posting despite you asking me not to, fraid I can't help you on that one), and genuine apologies for my initial assumption about your politics.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Fine, I double dog dare you to go to Washington DC and stage a coup. You call me a hypocrite but all I see is an argument on a message board. Prove to me that you're a better person than me.

I find it hilarious that you tell me all this on a relatively lighthearted forum on the internet. Remember, if the world was 100 people, only 6 would have computers, and all six of them would be American. What are you doing wasting time on such a tool, trying to convince those who will not be convinced? Shouldn't you be on other message boards, ones with communist sympathies, plotting an uprising in a small Central American country? You're wasting valuable time! Workers are DYING out there!
    Well I am a worker, idiot, and a shop steward. That already makes me, and almost everyone else, a better person than you because we produce wealth while you leech off society. So aren't working people and communists allowed to have free time and an interest in psychology, or are only you allowed that?

You call it a "lighthearted message board" but you're the one bringing your rich family into it, crying at me about how evil revolution is. The barricades...the starving children...killing your fellow citizensAnd then you accuse me of drama when I dare to point out, in resposne to your own mawkish attacks on me, that life under capitalism isn't exactly great either!?

You really need help, either 1.) stop being so needy or 2.) stop being so selfish, or 3.) preferably both. Oh and 4.) do a fucking honest days work.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What I am saying is that tcda was completely off-base with the "almost no crime, look at the murder rate" crap. The Soviet government actually killed more of its own citizens in two years than American criminals killed in the entire period that the Soviet Union existed.
    Then why are you quoting me?

Most of the time I don't even know what you're trying to argue, Pure Mercury.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well I am a worker, idiot, and a shop steward. That already makes me, and almost everyone else, a better person than you because we produce wealth while you leech off society. So aren't working people and communists allowed to have free time and an interest in psychology, or are only you allowed that?

You call it a "lighthearted message board" but you're the one bringing your rich family into it, crying at me about how evil revolution is. The barricades...the starving children...killing your fellow citizensAnd then you accuse me of drama when I dare to point out, in resposne to your own mawkish attacks on me, that life under capitalism isn't exactly great either!?

You really need help, either 1.) stop being so needy or 2.) stop being so selfish, or 3.) preferably both. Oh and 4.) do a fucking honest days work.
    Actually, I'm more evil than your garden variety capitalists -- I sell handmade textile items because I know I can sell them for many times more than import ones JUST BECAUSE I MADE THEM LOCALLY. So, while I profit, I put Chinese people out of work! Ain't I a stinker?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Then why are you quoting me?

Most of the time I don't even know what you're trying to argue, Pure Mercury.

You had said that many people would consider the U.S. indirectly responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. I happen to think the U.S. (our government, at least) has been directly responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. That has no bearing at all on what the Soviet Union was like.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I cant believe how aggrivated by Chavez capitalists get, the irony being that he needs that aggrivation otherwise he's just another El Presidenti

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I cant believe how aggrivated by Chavez capitalists get, the irony being that he needs that aggrivation otherwise he's just another El Presidenti
    It's mostly because there are actually educated North Americans and Europeans who treat Chavez seriously.