User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 118

  1. #91
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    So the USA is less violent than Cuba? Or than the Soviet Union was? I think oyu'll find the opposite is the case.
    I don't think you can say the USA was any less or more violent than the USSR.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  2. #92
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    As a self-labeled socialist, let me say that the USSR blows.

    Who killed more? How should I know? These USA-USSR comparisons are a waste of time. I don't see what relevance they have to any pertinent position of today.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #93
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Actually, tcda, the things that most concern me are groups of rebels who kill their own damn citizens just to prove a point. This should be solved first. We have very different priorities, see.
    So in other words, you don't have a non-violent solution to the suffering of the working class udner capitalism.

    It seems to me like you a demand a lot from the rest of society, and offer nothing. So I ask you again: the majority of people work so the minority can profit in this world. Why must they garuantee to you beyond all reasonable doubt, that in their efforts for a better life, nothing will ever happen to you or your family, even if that means giving up a better future for them and their kids? At the same time, you offer me no such assurances for the future of me or my family.

    I am always so amused by the oblivious, hypocritical "morality" of rich folk like yourself. You demand, following me round the forum tapping at my arm like an infant, that we all show you the greatest compassion and that nothing should ever happen to you or your family as an absolute prerequisite of all human activity, even bringing up sickening manipulative crap like your childhood nightmares; and then you offer absolutely no compassion to anyone else. All your pleas for "non-violent solutions" are just naked self-interest, so excuse me while I ignore them.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  4. #94
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    Independence would be the key word in that sentence and your examples are not equal. Anyway, it is nobler to fight for freedom than to fight for control. In a free society you can choose to live in a commune without repercussions. However, communism does not allow the individual that same choice.
    You can choose to live on a commune, but you must own the means to do so. So in other words, it is a dictatorship of private property. So I don't thinkt hat fighting for socialism is to fight for control of other people, it is to fight for the freedom of the working class from the dictatorship of private property, and from exploitation, and for control of the fruits of its own labour.

    You tell me communism is antiquated, but funnilly enough, capitalism is older than communism, so where does that leave us?

    Pure Mercury: As for who was more violent: look at murder rates and crime figures. Ok there was a civil war, but take into account the complete lack of crime in the Soviet Union compared to the USA.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  5. #95
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    So in other words, you don't have a non-violent solution to the suffering of the working class udner capitalism.

    It seems to me like you a demand a lot from the rest of society, and offer nothing. So I ask you again: the majority of people work so the minority can profit in this world. Why must they garuantee to you beyond all reasonable doubt, that in their efforts for a better life, nothing will ever happen to you or your family, even if that means giving up a better future for them and their kids? At the same time, you offer me no such assurances for the future of me or my family.

    I am always so amused by the oblivious, hypocritical "morality" of rich folk like yourself. You demand, following me round the forum tapping at my arm like an infant, that we all show you the greatest compassion and that nothing should ever happen to you or your family as an absolute prerequisite of all human activity, even bringing up sickening manipulative crap like your childhood nightmares; and then you offer absolutely no compassion to anyone else. All your pleas for "non-violent solutions" are just naked self-interest, so excuse me while I ignore them.
    Fine, I double dog dare you to go to Washington DC and stage a coup. You call me a hypocrite but all I see is an argument on a message board. Prove to me that you're a better person than me.

    I find it hilarious that you tell me all this on a relatively lighthearted forum on the internet. Remember, if the world was 100 people, only 6 would have computers, and all six of them would be American. What are you doing wasting time on such a tool, trying to convince those who will not be convinced? Shouldn't you be on other message boards, ones with communist sympathies, plotting an uprising in a small Central American country? You're wasting valuable time! Workers are DYING out there!
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #96
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I don't think you can say the USA was any less or more violent than the USSR.
    To people outside of its borders, the U.S. was definitely as violent or more. Within its own borders, it's not even close. The Soviet Union slaughtered millions of its own citizens in the 20th Century.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #97
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Pure Mercury: As for who was more violent: look at murder rates and crime figures. Ok there was a civil war, but take into account the complete lack of crime in the Soviet Union compared to the USA.
    A) The Soviet Union lied about all statistics that reflected poorly on them. Even the CIA believed that the Soviet Union's economy was approximately 70% the size of the U.S. economy, when it was closer to 30%. Remember the story of serial killer Andrei Chikatilo? The Soviet Union officially "had no serial killers." Economic crime was endemic in the Soviet Union, as well.

    B) As many people were killed in the Great Purge of 1937-38 as were murdered in the United States during the entire 75-year period the Soviet Union existed. That wasn't a "civil war."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #98
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    A) The Soviet Union lied about all statistics that reflected poorly on them. Even the CIA believed that the Soviet Union's economy was approximately 70% the size of the U.S. economy, when it was closer to 30%. Remember the story of serial killer Andrei Chikatilo? The Soviet Union officially "had no serial killers." Economic crime was endemic in the Soviet Union, as well.

    B) As many people were killed in the Great Purge of 1937-38 as were murdered in the United States during the entire 75-year period the Soviet Union existed. That wasn't a "civil war."
    Perhaps it is good enough for tcda that a soviet government says that crime did not exist. Why would she believe capitalist pigs over them?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  9. #99
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    To people outside of its borders, the U.S. was definitely as violent or more. Within its own borders, it's not even close. The Soviet Union slaughtered millions of its own citizens in the 20th Century.
    Of course, but some people would argue that the US is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. Whether or not you agree with that is not the point.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  10. #100
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Of course, but some people would argue that the US is indirectly responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. Whether or not you agree with that is not the point.
    The U.S. has been DIRECTLY responsible for millions of deaths worldwide. That doesn't negate the fact that the Soviet Union was a gigantic deathfest for decades.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. [Tri] How to know whether am 7 or 8?
    By sonictard in forum Enneagram
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 04-20-2016, 06:17 PM
  2. I don't know how to pose this question
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-16-2010, 10:44 AM
  3. Gosh, I don't know what to say... it's just like real life
    By Lisa73 in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 07-16-2008, 11:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO