User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Haven't read the thread, but I get the feeling I shouldn't touch this with a 10' pole.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    A) I have a major problem with slandering people, especially dead people who cannot defend themselves. Milton Friedman's ghost should be able to sue Naomi Klein into the poorhouse. At least she has been thoroughly discredited now.

B) Since when did I ever claim to be guided by reason alone?
    You're a fan of Reason magazine, forgive me for making that leap of faith.

A major problem with slandering dead people? Hey wait, havent you done that yourself to commies alive and dead? Oh right, yeah, that's different, of course.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    This is why I hate posting/reading in threads in the political subforum: people bitch and moan about nonconsequential shit rather than stay on topic and debate things as they should be because one person or another takes offense to something said in ignorance, or just because they happen to disagree. Nothing ever gets resolved and very rarely do I see someone change his/her mind.
    It's the equivalent of poking an anthill with a stick. Amusing, you get stung once in a while but it's not that bad, and it's something to do if nothing else is going on

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You're a fan of Reason magazine, forgive me for making that leap of faith.
    Do you know the differences between libertarianism and Objectivism? Have you ever read Reason?

A major problem with slandering dead people? Hey wait, havent you done that yourself to commies alive and dead? Oh right, yeah, that's different, of course.

slander - noun; a false, malicious statement (spoken or published), especially one which is injurious to a person's reputation; the making of such a statement; to utter a slanderous statement

So, when and where have made a false statement about a communist?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    This is why I hate posting/reading in threads in the political subforum: people bitch and moan about nonconsequential shit rather than stay on topic and debate things as they should be because one person or another takes offense to something said in ignorance, or just because they happen to disagree. Nothing ever gets resolved and very rarely do I see someone change his/her mind.

What's the point of having a thread in which people debate if you cannot attack and correct people's ignorance, willful or otherwise? What we talk about is not inconsequential.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

The point is to make [positive] progress or at least come to an agreement, even if the agreement pertains to disagreement.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

I prefer a system where one's freedom is only limited by the amount of resources one has. With his/her resources, he/she can discriminate however she likes, imposing a moral and cultural hegemony. I'm a moral relativist and I perceive moral adherence as a preference. The more power a person has, the more he/she can satisfy his her preferences and maximize his/her utility. For powerful people, exercising such degrees of hegemony and will derives the same utilitarian pleasure as simple good consumption does for less powerful people.

Ideas of democracy, equality and wealth redistribution are not my ideals. While a republic can be useful for unity and organization, I feel it's only just when one's say is grounded in one's investment in absolute terms.

I favour a feudal capitalism, I suppose.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    I prefer a system where one's freedom is only limited by the amount of resources one has. With his/her resources, he/she can discriminate however she likes, imposing a moral and cultural hegemony. I'm a moral relativist and I perceive moral adherence as a preference. The more power a person has, the more he/she can satisfy his her preferences and maximize his/her utility. For powerful people, exercising such degrees of hegemony and will derives the same utilitarian pleasure as simple good consumption does for less powerful people.

Ideas of democracy, equality and wealth redistribution are not my ideals. While a republic can be useful for unity and organization, I feel it's only just when one's say is grounded in one's investment in absolute terms.

I favour a feudal capitalism, I suppose.
    Forgive me, then, if I come, kill you and steal all your stuff.

Just the nature of the system, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Forgive me, then, if I come, kill you and steal all your stuff.

Just the nature of the system, isn't it?
    How do you mean?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunward View Post
    How do you mean?
    Well, if I'm subaltern, then it suits my self-interest to change that situation as quickly as possible. Since the hegemons would likely defend their resources, I'd have to take it from them by force, in any way possible.

You see why feudalism becomes much more difficult to maintain after the invention of firearms.