User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    That's rather trite, sir. The free market can circulate currency without the producer manipulating the psychological stimuli of the consumer in some way; but history has shown that the producer has done otherwise for its own benefit. The fire is burning and nothing is going to put it out.
    The free market doesnt circulate enough money or circulate the money fast enough, especially not enough to countermand any of the intermitant crisis, that's why every economy in the world has been effectively either social or military keynesian in order to be a success.

It could be argued that the present crisis is a consequence of irresponsible lending practices adopted in the knowledge that the economies, societies and therefore governments couldnt afford to allow the natural consequences to play out.

That would be the fault of the individuals making decisions in the economy, the key players, however I'd say that since it has such a huge impact its a systematic flaw.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'd still like onemoretime to provide evidence for the (slanderous) accusation that Milton Friedman and/or Reason are or were in favor of killing brown people. That is bullshit and it should be retracted.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I'd still like onemoretime to provide evidence for the (slanderous) accusation that Milton Friedman and/or Reason are or were in favor of killing brown people. That is bullshit and it should be retracted.
    That's a bit of an over reaction for someone who's theoretically guided by reason alone dont you think? Just saying.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

OK, you're right. They weren't in favor of it (nor did I claim such a thing).

They certainly didn't give two shits about it, and that I'm not retracting.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Are you an angry, anal capitalist? Hate and envy the poor their unearned pittance? Dream of a life of destitute despair? Want to deprive the underclass of even that?

Well, there's a magazine for you, were you can read articles by similarly embittered individuals, from the people who brought you Reason, the new improved.

Emotion Magazine.

For the materially rich but poor in affect regulation.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    OK, you're right. They weren't in favor of it (nor did I claim such a thing).

They certainly didn't give two shits about it, and that I'm not retracting.

You're completely wrong still. Friedman got Nixon to end the draft, for Christ's sake. He was against going into Iraq, as well. So was the editorial staff of Reason and the majority of its contributors. You're completely out to lunch on this one.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's a bit of an over reaction for someone who's theoretically guided by reason alone dont you think? Just saying.

A) I have a major problem with slandering people, especially dead people who cannot defend themselves. Milton Friedman's ghost should be able to sue Naomi Klein into the poorhouse. At least she has been thoroughly discredited now.

B) Since when did I ever claim to be guided by reason alone?

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

You're completely wrong still. Friedman got Nixon to end the draft, for Christ's sake. He was against going into Iraq, as well. So was the editorial staff of Reason and the majority of its contributors. You're completely out to lunch on this one.
    1. Friedman opposed the war because it cost more money than it was worth in his mind, not because of the plight of the Vietnamese people. He also thought the Middle East situation and collapse of Bretton Woods was much more pressing (given his monetarist views).

2. They don't like the projection of military power. They don't care when it's the projection of economic power, nor covert ops. See: Argentina under the junta, Chile under Pinochet.

Quit getting all butthurt because your philosophy is morally and practically indefensible, and some people don't mind calling libertarians out on that.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    1. Friedman opposed the war because it cost more money than it was worth in his mind, not because of the plight of the Vietnamese people. He also thought the Middle East situation and collapse of Bretton Woods was much more pressing (given his monetarist views).
    Friedman railed against "wars of choice" and he recognized that war was an engine for government expansion and repression. His greatest regret of his career was helping to devise federal income tax withholding during WWII, which has hidden the true cost of taxation from the majority of Americans.

2. They don't like the projection of military power. They don't care when it's the projection of economic power, nor covert ops. See: Argentina under the junta, Chile under Pinochet.
    Oh, OK. So they DON'T support the killing of brown people at all, and you're just full of shit? At least you are admitting it in so many words. And I'd LOVE to hear you try to explain Friedman's (non-)relationship to Pinochet.

Quit getting all butthurt because your philosophy is morally and practically indefensible, and some people don't mind calling libertarians out on that.
    I do a pretty great job of defending my beliefs, but it's easy when they are eminently defensible.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

This is why I hate posting/reading in threads in the political subforum: people bitch and moan about nonconsequential shit rather than stay on topic and debate things as they should be because one person or another takes offense to something said in ignorance, or just because they happen to disagree. Nothing ever gets resolved and very rarely do I see someone change his/her mind.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;