User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    None. Do you have any recommendations? (Hah, most of my knowledge comes from extrapolated intuition).
    Sure...

LewRockwell.com

Amazon.com: What It Means to Be a Libertarian (9780767900393): Charles Murray: Books

Amazon.com: The Revolution: A Manifesto (9780446537513): Ron Paul: Books

Amazon.com: End the Fed (9780446549196): Ron Paul: Books

peter schiff - Google Videos

Fred On Everything (libertarian-leaning)

Amazon.com: The Ayn Rand Lexicon: Objectivism from A to Z (Ayn Rand Library) (9780452010512): Ayn Rand, Harry Binswanger: Books

Amazon.com: Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal (9780451147950): Ayn Rand, Nathaniel Branden, Alan Greenspan, Robert Hessen: Books

Amazon.com: The Road to Serfdom: Fiftieth Anniversary Edition (9780226320618): F. A. Hayek, Milton Friedman: Books

Liberty

Amazon.com: Libertarianism: A Primer (9780684847689): David Boaz: Books

The Cato Institute

A mish-mash, but a good start. As you may discover, libertarians squabble over many things. Those at Lew Rockwell Dot Com disparage the Cato Institute. Ayn Rand's minions deny being libertarians. Social conservative Ron Paul supporters may appreciate Murray's book, but find Liberty Magazine's POV offensive. And so on...

Ayn Rand was surely self-obsessed, woefully foolish, and a member of the elite. Read Atlas Shrugged to you get an of idea of their reordered society built on the Deity of Man. I would not recommend her to you... besides, her tomes are drier than my winter-weather beaten skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
    Ayn Rand was surely self-obsessed, woefully foolish, and a member of the elite. Read Atlas Shrugged to you get an of idea of their reordered society built on the Deity of Man. I would not recommend her to you... besides, her tomes are drier than my winter-weather beaten skin.
    I...agree wrt her fiction, but obviously many people do not; Atlas Shrugged alone has sold about 27,000,000(!!!) copies. Her lexicon and her essays on capitalism are outstanding, IMHO. It's a bit creepy to read an essay she wrote in the sixties describing with uncanny accuracy the morass "health care" would be in in 2010...

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'd recommend F.A. Hayek as a good introduction to libertarian thought. Also, "Social Darwinism" is a silly critique. Hofstadter pretty much slandered Herbert Spencer after Spencer was already dead, and Spencer isn't much referenced by modern libertarians, anyway.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Ginkgo

Yes, I've read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. She's the most arrogant, hedonistic woman I've ever laid eyes on. People like her view humans as nothing more than either a) bumbling sheepish consumers or b) "God Man". She promoted greed and gratuitous individualism, which is kind of what the free market is established on. She opposed philanthropy and basic human kindness. Her love was sooo discriminatory. Also, looking at her face makes my penis go inside of me.

EDIT: Maybe I should have just mentioned laissez-faire capitalism instead of social Darwinism. They're both within the realm of "every man for himself" or "obtain as much matter as possible" mindsets as far as I'm concerned.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

A bit to keep in mind about Ayn Rand: her fetish for watching sexy men hard at work is not philosophy.

Yes, I've read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and Anthem. She's the most arrogant, hedonistic woman I've ever laid eyes on. People like her view humans as nothing more than either a) bumbling sheepish consumers or b) "God Man". She promoted greed and gratuitous individualism, which is kind of what the free market is established on. She opposed philanthropy and basic human kindness. Her love was sooo discriminatory. Also, looking at her face makes my penis go inside of me.
    You might enjoy this article: The Benefits and Hazards of the Philosophy of Ayn Rand

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You think greed and gratuitous individualism come from Ayn Rand? I suggest you watch the documentary Century of the Self.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You think greed and gratuitous individualism come from Ayn Rand? I suggest you watch the documentary Century of the Self.
    Came from Rand? Haha, no no no no. Self came from self.

EDIT: I'm just saying that the essence of a honey bee has more altruism than Ayn Rand has in her entire body. That's all dawg.

ps= thanks for the link. I've heard the term thrown around a bit but I didn't know there was a documentary to expound on it. Oh joy!

ps- nevermind I've seen it. The use of Freud's theories about psychosexuality and intrinsic drive is pretty sick. It permeates throughout the media that a swarm of locusts from associating childrens' food with cartoon characters to "sexy cigarettes". It's quite evident that the Western World cannot differentiate between necessity and desire at this point.

MBTI
    ESFJ

EDIT: Maybe I should have just mentioned laissez-faire capitalism instead of social Darwinism. They're both within the realm of "every man for himself" or "obtain as much matter as possible" mindsets as far as I'm concerned.
    You need to concern yourself further, then.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"