User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

    17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

    32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

    28 36.36%
First 789101119 Last

Results 81 to 90 of 212

Thread: smoking ban

  1. #81
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    103

    Default

    I once listened to a woman complain that smoking should be banned because it was a public health risk that affects others as much or more than the smoker. Then she drove away in her SUV. Hypocrite, shouldn’t she be riding a bike or be on horseback?

    I could care less if they ban smoking or not but I ask that laws be fair. If smoking should be banned because it is a public health risk then cars should be illegal as well. In fact it can be argued that cars will do more damage to the public than smoking in the long run.

    If smokers have to pay a large tax on tobacco products to cover the rising healthcare costs, shouldn't the smoker be able to use his/her empty packs of cigarettes as a type of insurance card for smoking related illnesses? After all the extra tax he/she is paying is intended to be used for paying for these costs right?

  2. #82
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Not everyone who is against smoking drives an SUV, and I would LOVE to see some initiatives for cleaning-up transportation.

    And I say no to your second point.
    They shouldn't have their smoking induced health problems compensated, that's kinds of the point!
    By smoking, you are basically voluntarily fucking-up your health.
    How dare you screw up the health-care system for others that way?
    Places with a universal health-care system get hit a lot harder by it.

    Basically, most places with universal health-care(if not all of them) do not cover elective medical procedures.
    Smoking is elective cancer, I say.
    You don't want to deal with chemo expenses? stop fucking smoking. :steam:
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 11-28-2007 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I assassinated a comma
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #83
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    lucky people with universal healthcare!

    here we have to pay for our health insurance and such, so it's much more a responsibility of the smoker than it is society in general- especially polite smokers who don't smoke around others!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  4. #84
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    I once listened to a woman complain that smoking should be banned because it was a public health risk that affects others as much or more than the smoker. Then she drove away in her SUV. Hypocrite, shouldn’t she be riding a bike or be on horseback?

    I could care less if they ban smoking or not but I ask that laws be fair. If smoking should be banned because it is a public health risk then cars should be illegal as well. In fact it can be argued that cars will do more damage to the public than smoking in the long run.

    If smokers have to pay a large tax on tobacco products to cover the rising healthcare costs, shouldn't the smoker be able to use his/her empty packs of cigarettes as a type of insurance card for smoking related illnesses? After all the extra tax he/she is paying is intended to be used for paying for these costs right?
    There is a chap. I say a sound post. You are correct on all accounts.

  5. #85
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    Wildcat, I'm hurt! First you say I got it 'half-right' and gave me 3 points, and now you actually TOTALLY SUPPORT this guy's post?

    You fickle, fickle creature.

  6. #86
    Senior Member wildcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,619

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wildcat, I'm hurt! First you say I got it 'half-right' and gave me 3 points, and now you actually TOTALLY SUPPORT this guy's post?

    You fickle, fickle creature.
    You mean he did not mention the leaf blower either?
    How fickle of me!
    He forgot the capital thingie!
    You are perfectly correct.

    I punish him immediately.
    I give him 3 points, the same as you.

    Contented now, eh?

    I neglected to have my evening cappuccino. I am awfully sorry!

  7. #87
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Two wrongs don't make a right.
    Not everyone who is against smoking drives an SUV,
    The point is not that she drives an SUV, the point is the general hipocracy of people. If she drove a compact car she would still be pumping toxins into the atmosphere acceptable for all those who drive cars of that efficiency or less. I'm sure if I would have followed her home I would have seen items made of plastic, woooden materials, and all sorts of chemicals in her home. But a smokers cigarette needs to be extinguished because of all the harmfull effects. The difference between that smokers cigarette and her destructive pleasures is that she did not smoke. She would have a more convencing argument to ban smoking if she would have simply said " Ban smoking because I don't smoke." at least it would have been more truthful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    and I would LOVE to see some initiatives for cleaning-up transportation.
    Can I assume you ride a bike everywhere you go and shun electricity unless it is derived from wind turbines? I doubt it. But would you support a ban on automobiles or anything with a combustion engine? Would you tolerate a law that would ban the burning of fossil fuels for the purpose of generating electricity? Each would be morally justified and each would seem as though it is our duty.

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And I say no to your second point.
    They shouldn't have their smoking induced health problems compensated, that's kinds of the point!
    By smoking, you are basically voluntarily fucking-up your health.
    How dare you screw up the health-care system for others that way?
    Places with a universal health-care system get hit a lot harder by it.
    I didn't advocate a universal health-care system. I merely suggested that smokers receive the healthcare they pay for.

  8. #88
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    The point is not that she drives an SUV, the point is the general hipocracy of people. If she drove a compact car she would still be pumping toxins into the atmosphere acceptable for all those who drive cars of that efficiency or less. I'm sure if I would have followed her home I would have seen items made of plastic, woooden materials, and all sorts of chemicals in her home. But a smokers cigarette needs to be extinguished because of all the harmfull effects. The difference between that smokers cigarette and her destructive pleasures is that she did not smoke. She would have a more convencing argument to ban smoking if she would have simply said " Ban smoking because I don't smoke." at least it would have been more truthful.
    First of all... It is a hell of a lot harder to live without a car than to live without cigarettes. There is no effort to not smoking, unless you already made the msitake of smoking. You're basically demanded to have a car. They aren't really comperable.


    Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    Can I assume you ride a bike everywhere you go and shun electricity unless it is derived from wind turbines? I doubt it. But would you support a ban on automobiles or anything with a combustion engine? Would you tolerate a law that would ban the burning of fossil fuels for the purpose of generating electricity? Each would be morally justified and each would seem as though it is our duty.
    Once again, you are obviously pitting a much more extreme and difficult transition against smoking, where the two are not comperable.
    I would essentially agree to all of those things. No, I have not lived by all of them because it would be almost hopelessly hard. All we can do for now, is take smaller steps to reaching that goal.
    On the other hand, I have sub-concsciously and harmlessy not smoked for my entire life. It's actually easier to be a non-smoker than to be a smoker.
    You need to drop that argument.
    This is partly about moriality, and it's partly about practicality.



    Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    I didn't advocate a universal health-care system. I merely suggested that smokers receive the healthcare they pay for.
    That's fine, but lots of places do have universal healthy-care and
    I advocate adopting it for this one.
    And no, the smokers shouldn't receive that health-care, because they'ew made to pay for it as compensation for the strain they put on it!
    It was already made even by making them pay more.
    Do you not get that?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  9. #89
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Oh Enchanted P,

    Sometimes there are reasons to smoke, the fact that you had to try smoking to find them is fairly moot.

    Also I think you'll find that UK smokers are quite large contributors to the whole "universal" health system. In fact if we had shares for our taxes, we'd run the damn thing!!

    Note I'm not wanting to connect a stick with your noggin, just pointing out those things which I thought should be pointed out. Damn it I'm INTPing and correcting your definitions. I shall stop.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  10. #90
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,905

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oh Enchanted P,

    Sometimes there are reasons to smoke, the fact that you had to try smoking to find them is fairly moot.
    Name one.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Smoking Ban
    By WildCard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. Smoking ban decreases heart attacks
    By burymecloser in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO