User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 67891018 Last

Thread: smoking ban

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    The leaf blower on operation outside my window may have had something to do with my singular comment.
    The logic:

Why people comment on smoking? They never comment on leaf blowers!!

What is the harm of smoking compared to the harm done by the leaf blower?

Of course you can have an opinion. No one can deny you your constitutional rights to be silent about the leaf blower.
    The leaf blower is not silent. The smokers can puff their ears out of their sockets for all I care! They are silent when they smoke. While they puff-puff they cannot even speak much.

All you lovely smokers! Oh you worthy souls! How the world misjudged you so!
    No one runs a leafblower indoors while you're trying to eat or converse or enjoy a drink. And I'm sure if you tried to run a leafblower at 3am outside a residential apartment you would get some 'cease and desist' requests but quick. Leafblowers are annoying (and potentially damaging to the ears) but they serve a utilitarian purpose and as it's done during 'acceptable' hours people let it be. Complaining would not do much good. And for the record, I've had neighborhood brats yell at gardeners to 'shut up' re: leafblowers.

Smoking irritates peoples mucous membranes, meaning eyes water and hurt, throats get dry and scratchy, and people may not want their sense of smell messed with when they are eating (same reason you generally don't get scented candles at restaurants).

And oh yeah, second hand smoke causes cancer.

Just like with the leafblowers, people aren't telling people NEVER to smoke, just proscribing some limits (time in the case of leafblowers, location in the case of smoking) to keep smoking from infringing on the rights of other people.

I understand your point (and I think that is a first! WHOO-HOO! points for me!) but environmental pollution whether it's noise, olfactory, or other is still something people should not HAVE to deal with.

I don't think people are condemning smokers as 'bad people', though I do think the idea of the 'right' to smoke everywhere is being challenged as unrealistic. Unlike leafblowing, smoking is not a necessary evil nor does it serve a utilitarian purpose. It's a vice, pure and simple. In a structured society, people are only allowed to indulge in vices to a point.

MBTI
    INFJ

I'm not sure if I've commented on this subject yet, however....

Myself being a smoker, I can comment somewhat on the subject.

I generally follow x amount of rules when I smoke(I realise not all people do, but I actually care for others).

1. Never smoke near children(IS just wrong)
    2. Never smoke near flammable items(bit silly huh)
    3. Never smoke near people who can't tolerate it(logical huh? :P)

That's about it, I do have others, but those are the main 3.

As for a smoking ban, do it! It might encourage others to stop!
    Introverted (I) 53.57% Extroverted (E) 46.43%
    Intuitive (N) 54.55% Sensing (S) 45.45%
    Feeling (F) 65.63% Thinking (T) 34.38%
    Judging (J) 63.64% Perceiving (P) 36.36%

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

--Albert Einstein

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    No one runs a leafblower indoors while you're trying to eat or converse or enjoy a drink. And I'm sure if you tried to run a leafblower at 3am outside a residential apartment you would get some 'cease and desist' requests but quick. Leafblowers are annoying (and potentially damaging to the ears) but they serve a utilitarian purpose and as it's done during 'acceptable' hours people let it be. Complaining would not do much good. And for the record, I've had neighborhood brats yell at gardeners to 'shut up' re: leafblowers.

Smoking irritates peoples mucous membranes, meaning eyes water and hurt, throats get dry and scratchy, and people may not want their sense of smell messed with when they are eating (same reason you generally don't get scented candles at restaurants).

And oh yeah, second hand smoke causes cancer.

Just like with the leafblowers, people aren't telling people NEVER to smoke, just proscribing some limits (time in the case of leafblowers, location in the case of smoking) to keep smoking from infringing on the rights of other people.

I understand your point (and I think that is a first! WHOO-HOO! points for me!) but environmental pollution whether it's noise, olfactory, or other is still something people should not HAVE to deal with.

I don't think people are condemning smokers as 'bad people', though I do think the idea of the 'right' to smoke everywhere is being challenged as unrealistic. Unlike leafblowing, smoking is not a necessary evil nor does it serve a utilitarian purpose. It's a vice, pure and simple. In a structured society, people are only allowed to indulge in vices to a point.
    I was aboard a steamer on my way to Sweden.
    It was in the 50s.
    At dinnertime I was seated with an aged couple. Old world people, too.
    The chap in a tweed jacket, very polite and charming. His wife said they were on their way to see a Van Gogh exhibition.
    The marine dinner was not exactly a brief occasion. They served four courses, one after the other.

He was a bohemian gentleman. I should say an architect or inventor. Black circles under the eyes, the face ashen grey.

He did light after the first course.
    A little apologetic, he waved his hand.
    In those days it was hardly a breach of etiquette.
    He said he had once tried to quit.
    He was a workaholic. He found he could not concentrate without cigarettes. He worked all the time.

Why do I tell the anecdote?

Because they did not have the leaf blowers then!
    You did not know it, did you?
    You thought Adam tortured Kain with a leaf blower!
    Guess what.
    He did nothing of the kind.

No one runs a leaf blower indoors?
    Yes they do, all those "garderners".. the noise ripples in MY ears when I am indoors.

I am an autist and autists cannot stomach any noise. Least of all a leaf blower.

You say the leaf blower serves a purpose. What purpose? I do not know any. Please educate me.

God wants the leaves to stay where they fall.

You got it half way though. I give you three points.

For the others no points.
    They did not get a toodle.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I guess one leaf blower can ruin lots of people's days as opposed to one smoker. The only evidence of the smoker is the smell where as leaf blowers are an affront on many senses.

Wildcat, take a holiday or something. How's about the Gobi desert? I hear they have very few leaf blowers
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I guess one leaf blower can ruin lots of people's days as opposed to one smoker. The only evidence of the smoker is the smell where as leaf blowers are an affront on many senses.

Wildcat, take a holiday or something. How's about the Gobi desert? I hear they have very few leaf blowers
    Gobi? A horse?

I knew a lass in Paris. Her horse was Gobi.

She had a sweet tooth.
    Not the lass!

The horse.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Gobi? A horse?

I knew a lass in Paris. Her horse was Gobi.

She had a sweet tooth.
    Not the lass!

The horse.
    You tasted the horse's teeth? Eeeeww!!!

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Just like with the leafblowers, people aren't telling people NEVER to smoke...
    That's coming.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That's coming.
    Just when you thought it was safe to spark up again....
    Daaa dum. Daa dum. Dum dum dum dum dum dum dum dum....

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

wildcat is right- leafblowers suck! one interrupted my nice peaceful smoke break yesterday!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    wildcat is right- leafblowers suck! one interrupted my nice peaceful smoke break yesterday!
    Na-ah. They blow..... Duh.