User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 5678917 Last

Thread: smoking ban

Eh.... i'm glad that the smoking ban was finally passed in az... when i lived in california it was nice that i didn't have to smell the "wonderful" cancerous (sp) smoke in the air... and i'm surprised they didn't pass it sooner...

but don't get the wrong idea:
    its not like i hate smokers... i just hate thier smoke and i REALLY don't want to smell it... i have a right to not have to smell that crap.

honestly... ruin ur lungs... not mine... no offence... but still...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Both, sorry! Why should we all suffer because you choose a habit that shortens your lifespan?

However I do agree with whatever's point about banning smoking at bars. Booze and fags do go together so I think an exception can be made for an outdoor patio so that smokers can gag each other instead of the non smokers inside.

I am also a former smoker and I can tell you that it was very hard for me to quit. There are still times when I think about having just one, however I know that is not a possibility as one will become a pack and so on and I made a promise not to ever smoke again.
    A platitude.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, Pshaw! If you like it, you should stand up for it.
    I would, if my beliefs were just a mash of personal preferences.
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    A platitude.
    Hmmm... All of it? Or is there a specific verse that you're referring to? If so, I'm sure I can elaborate. Here's another one. "In my experiences with online forums, I find it useful to have an opinion. In addition to satisfying the OP's question/s, others may find your opinion useful as well." *curtsies and takes a bow*.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Freedom to act ends where you start hurting others, and to me smoking in a building shared by others crosses that line.
    Maybe that's true if you walk into somebody else's building, hold a gun to their head, and start smoking. But what about a privately owned restaurant? It's not your property. You have no right to make up rules for the establisment to follow since you didn't pay for it, nor is anybody forcing you to enter. If you don't like the smoke, don't go in.

I can understand not being able to smoke in public buildings.

Maybe wearing deodorant should become a law, too, because I don't like to smell B.O.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    Maybe that's true if you walk into somebody else's building, hold a gun to their head, and start smoking. But what about a privately owned restaurant? It's not your property. You have no right to make up rules for the establisment to follow since you didn't pay for it, nor is anybody forcing you to enter. If you don't like the smoke, don't go in.

I can understand not being able to smoke in public buildings.

Maybe wearing deodorant should become a law, too, because I don't like to smell B.O.
    You can't go around punching people in buildings, regardless of whether or not it's your private property. Unwanted injury to others is something that should not be allowed anywhere, in my opinion.

Not liking the smell of smoke is not the point, the more important factor is the health risk.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Hmmm... All of it? Or is there a specific verse that you're referring to? If so, I'm sure I can elaborate. Here's another one. "In my experiences with online forums, I find it useful to have an opinion. In addition to satisfying the OP's question/s, others may find your opinion useful as well." *curtsies and takes a bow*.
    The leaf blower on operation outside my window may have had something to do with my singular comment.
    The logic:

Why people comment on smoking? They never comment on leaf blowers!!

What is the harm of smoking compared to the harm done by the leaf blower?

Of course you can have an opinion. No one can deny you your constitutional rights to be silent about the leaf blower.
    The leaf blower is not silent. The smokers can puff their ears out of their sockets for all I care! They are silent when they smoke. While they puff-puff they cannot even speak much.

All you lovely smokers! Oh you worthy souls! How the world misjudged you so!

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    You can't go around punching people in buildings, regardless of whether or not it's your private property. Unwanted injury to others is something that should not be allowed anywhere, in my opinion.

Not liking the smell of smoke is not the point, the more important factor is the health risk.
    I don't think that's quite the same. Especially if people knew ahead of time that in that building, punching was allowed.
    Last edited by LucrativeSid; 11-24-2007 at 02:17 PM.

MBTI
    INFP

Default I was really divided on this...

Quote Originally Posted by nocturne View Post
    The implementation of a smoking ban should be at the discretion the property owner.
    ... however this is how I feel. As a lifelong non-smoker who lived with family members who smoked, I understand how both sides feel.

It does make me laugh when I go to restaurants that have both a smoking and non-smoking section... I can very easily smell smoke in the non-smoking section. Unless the establishment has a totally separate room with it's own ventilation system, it's pointless to have a smoking section. :rolli:

Personally, it has been wonderful not live with any smokers, though; my clothes and home smell great!
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

MBTI
    infp

Smoking has been banned indoors in Ontario, except for private residences. I think its really great, its clean and comfortable for all. It really makes sense.