User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 2345614 Last

Thread: smoking ban

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    So are you calling me selfish or yourself?

If you're calling me selfish, yeah most likely. But I don't see how me not caring if someone else smokes as selfish, I'd be selfish if i said "smoking should be allowed every where" I didn't say that. I said that it shouldn't be banned but rather just have a smoking section like it use to be. Or "smoking shouldn't be allowed anywhere" would be just as selfish. Not everyone is going to like whatever solution their is so I know not possible to accomodate everyone.

If you're calling yourself I don't know you so I can't really say. My opinion on a smoking ban really doesn't matter as I don't smoke and I have no problems with other's smoking.

also realize people are selfish by nature, so if I offended you I'm sorry I did not mean to

on the "oh it will stop people from smoking" no it won't. I mean yeah some, but I'm sure some will start because it's illegal.Also if it's as addictive as people say it is then some silly law or ban probably won't stop them.
    Well, I was saying that the view I put forward was actually kind of selfish.
    There's an unselfish point of view, too.

Also, I didn't vote for the complete ban, just the indoor one.
    A total ban will never work, but stuff like banning it in public places actually does lower the rates.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, I was saying that the view I put forward was actually kind of selfish.
    There's an unselfish point of view, too.

Also, I didn't vote for the complete ban, just the indoor one.
    A total ban will never work, but stuff like banning it in public places actually does lower the rates.
    I can understand indoors and public places to an extent. Especially if the place is poorly ventilated.I just think that if you make the ban outdoors instead of doing it restricted then wouldn't the smokers stand by the door or the minimum feet from the building at least that's how it is here. Making it so the people who don't like smoke have to walk through a cloud of it? As oppose to if their in their own section then the people who don't like smoke can be in their own section?

I feel like I'm describing smokers as cattle, I do not mean that at all. I don't mean that they are some diseased group of people that need to be isolated, I'm saying I don't like the smoking ban but if we have to do something then smoking sections are fine.

I think simply the reason I feel the way I do is I thought the old laws were fine in terms of smoking. It's the whole trying to fix something doesn't need fixing.

MBTI
    INTJ

*tries to figure out the system behind when people read a thread before posting and when they don't*

MBTI
    yupp

With the ban people are still going to smoke and still drain healthcare from related illnesses. Just like people still do dangerous drugs and get sick/have heart attacks from them.My argument is a ban on smoking is a waste of time and money.

MBTI
    INTJ

With the ban people are still going to smoke and still drain healthcare from related illnesses. Just like people still do dangerous drugs and get sick/have heart attacks from them.My argument is a ban on smoking is a waste of time and money.
    The whole thread. (I'm thinking of post #3.)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    The whole thread. (I'm thinking of post #3.)
    That argument makes a lot of sense actually. More then people will stop smoking and second hand smoke's bad for you arguments. No shit?! I grew up in the 90s I got all the anti-smoking propaganda, I don't think it worked as so many people my age still smoke. I think everyone knows the health risk of smoking.

MBTI
    INTJ

That argument makes a lot of sense actually.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

The question which occurs to me is "Is this a slippery slope way of thinking"?

If you ban cigarettes then what is next? Why not ban alcohol? Why not ban certain vehicles? Why not ban firearms? All these things can be said to directly affect others health to one extent or another. Some are in use more often than cigarettes. Some provide less utility than cigarettes (yes cigarettes can be a practical means to an end for some, like myself).

At what stage do we as individuals have to make our own choices and bear the consequences or are we to be wrapped in cotton wool, protected from all sharp edges only to fall to the ever present threat of death by bankruptcy?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The question which occurs to me is "Is this a slippery slope way of thinking"?
    ... And I'm back to trying to figure out the system behind when people read the (whole) thread before posting and when they don't.

(See post #15.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Economica View Post
    ... And I'm back to trying to figure out the system behind when people read the (whole) thread before posting and when they don't.
    Yup. Some of us also have slept since then (a common line in my defence)

Anyhow it's not as important unless I say it. Gawd didn't you get the memo? Or have you slept since then?

Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?