User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 1234513 Last

Thread: smoking ban

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I forgot to mention the point about the impact on employees of such places, but it's also a valid point.

I don't think it's that it discriminates against non-smokers as much as it's that it kills employees, especially non-smokers but smokers too. Kinda a big difference. Yeah, you could argue that they choose to work there but if every restaurant, bar etc in the city is smoky (as they will be if there is no smoking ban--that's what it was like here before it was put in place), and the only skills the person has are bartending/waitressing etc, it's not really that much of a choice.
    I'm talking about private clubs, not just any club.

Thought you ISTPs were detail orientated?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I don't think it's that it discriminates against non-smokers as much as it's that it kills employees, especially non-smokers but smokers too.
    but think of the money on cigarettes that the smokers would save by getting to breathe in all of that second hand smoke?

I'll admit, since Economica seemed a bit curious about it, that I do smoke. This is why I'm frequently targeted for interviews on the topic of smoking bans. I always try to be considerate about it and stay away from non-smokers and tend to ask people who I'm with if they mind if I do smoke while we're out places (and I do not smoke if they even hesitate in answering!). We have no public health system here in the US, though if we did I doubt I'd be a big burden on it- I'm in good physical shape and the smokers in my family tend to live into their 90s in good health (far outliving the members of my family who are rather overweight).

I have to agree that smoking in most public establishments should be banned- I love to have the opportunity to go outside for a cigarette break at work! (some alone time can be much needed after a string of difficult customers) I think that not smoking in resteraunts or office buildings is a good idea, since those establishments are generally opened to everyone, including children. I'd like to feel free to go out with my friends to a nice bar without having to drive across the river though (a good majority of them smoke as well), because I know that once I have a few drinks there's nothing that I'll want more than a cigarette! I would even be for at least having a smoking section and a non smoking section, so that people could choose to go out and avoid smoke! I'm willing to accomodate, why aren't non-smokers?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I would even be for at least having a smoking section and a non smoking section, so that people could choose to go out and avoid smoke! I'm willing to accomodate, why aren't non-smokers?
    I refer you to my arguments in post #3.

(I sympathize, I really do, but it's for the Greater Good. )

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    I'm talking about private clubs, not just any club.

Thought you ISTPs were detail orientated?
    I'm not sure what you mean by "private club"...that's something different from a normal club?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

The Greater Good- that totally makes me think of the movie Hot Fuzz!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I'm not sure what you mean by "private club"...that's something different from a normal club?
    Clubs which require you to have done something, like sign up, or pay on the door are considered private I believe.

I was intentionally differentiating from pubs which people seem to be unable to drag themselves away from and yet bitch that it's filled with smokers and drinkers.

Anyhow there are gentleman's clubs which have been around for years and are notoriously difficult to get into, why should they be forced to ban smoking? Okay they should have to flex to accommodate staff who don't want to work in a smoking club until they decide to leave but they should be free to continue their practices as it hurts no one except those who choose to work there or become members and frequent the place. What's the harm?

My guess is that it's a big show made popular in recent politics. It's done to show the people that the government has muscle and does stuff, even if it is half ridiculous and unreasonable.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Wow. 77% are against smoking in one form or another.
    This makes me happy.

With parents that smoke, brothers that smoke or had smoked, friends that smoke... I started feeling very insecure and lonely regarding my stance.
    I'm glad to be in allied territory.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

I really don't like any ban even if I don't engage in the act myself. I don't know, I don't smoke, but I really don't care if anyone else does either. Yeah, it's bad for your health, but so what it's their life. Why should the government decide these things. Ok so you don't like cigarette smoke, get over it. You're allergic (and by this I mean like watery eyes and sneezing, more annoying then deadly reaction)take something. You're deathly allergic? alright we'll have a smoking section at least x amount of feet from non smoking.Oh and if you don't want to die from second hand smoke? we all have to die some point.

This is how I feel about it, I think it's another right that shouldn't be taken away. I understand having it in a restricted section yeah, I get that but to out right ban it?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Human beings are enormous investments.
    What you do with your life is therefore important to other people.
    That's the selfish way of looking at it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Human beings are enormous investments.
    What you do with your life is therefore important to other people.
    That's the selfish way of looking at it.
    So are you calling me selfish or yourself?

If you're calling me selfish, yeah most likely. But I don't see how me not caring if someone else smokes as selfish, I'd be selfish if i said "smoking should be allowed every where" I didn't say that. I said that it shouldn't be banned but rather just have a smoking section like it use to be. Or "smoking shouldn't be allowed anywhere" would be just as selfish. Not everyone is going to like whatever solution their is so I know not possible to accomodate everyone.

If you're calling yourself I don't know you so I can't really say. My opinion on a smoking ban really doesn't matter as I don't smoke and I have no problems with other's smoking.

also realize people are selfish by nature, so if I offended you I'm sorry I did not mean to

on the "oh it will stop people from smoking" no it won't. I mean yeah some, but I'm sure some will start because it's illegal.Also if it's as addictive as people say it is then some silly law or ban probably won't stop them.