User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

    17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

    32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

    28 36.36%
First 61415161718 Last

Results 151 to 160 of 212

Thread: smoking ban

  1. #151
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
    I wonder if it's too late for us to get a hundred Martini rifles together, pack them on mules with a few thousand rounds of .577/.450 Martini-Henry ammunition, travel to Kafiristan, and set ourselves up as kings. What do you think, Peachy?

  2. #152
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I wonder if it's too late for us to get a hundred Martini rifles together, pack them on mules with a few thousand rounds of .577/.450 Martini-Henry ammunition, travel to Kafiristan, and set ourselves up as kings. What do you think, Peachy?
    #A.
    Who's Peachy?

    #B.
    Martini-Henry? Jeez. H&K PSG maybe. Preferably a Walther WA2000 if I can find one.
    Martini Henry
    What do we use for sidearms? Matchlocks?

    Oh hang on I get it. Matchlocks would be good cause there's bound to be lots of matches about. Hmm nice touch.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #153
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    #A.
    Who's Peachy?

    #B.
    Martini-Henry? Jeez. H&K PSG maybe. Preferably a Walther WA2000 if I can find one.
    Martini Henry
    What do we use for sidearms? Matchlocks?

    Oh hang on I get it. Matchlocks would be good cause there's bound to be lots of matches about. Hmm nice touch.
    It was a Kipling reference. Apparently you're not familiar with The Man Who Would Be King. The principals in that story (and the subsequent film, featuring Michael Caine and Sean Connery) were Peachy Carnehan (Caine's character) and Danny Dravot (Connery's role).

    It was a reference intended to hearken to the height of the British Empire, when two smart infantrymen with a hundred English rifles might actually expect to make themselves absolute rulers of some distant and ancient kingdom.

  4. #154
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    It was a Kipling reference. Apparently you're not familiar with The Man Who Would Be King. The principals in that story (and the subsequent film, featuring Michael Caine and Sean Connery) were Peachy Carnehan (Caine's character) and Danny Dravot (Connery's role).

    It was a reference intended to hearken to the height of the British Empire, when two smart infantrymen with a hundred English rifles might actually expect to make themselves absolute rulers of some distant and ancient kingdom.
    Well aside from the hundred rifles it doesn't sound like the kind of film which makes it on to my short list to be honest.

    And I won't even mention that I thought you meant Pinky and that it was another mouse reference
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  5. #155
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Well aside from the hundred rifles it doesn't sound like the kind of film which makes it on to my short list to be honest.
    The flick is a cheap rental and well worth it for a Sunday afternoon. It's somewhat dated, made in 1975. It's not exactly an action flick, but there is some action in it. It's a good story, well told. John Huston directed it. Have some good beer on hand for the occasion.

  6. #156
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Well aside from the hundred rifles it doesn't sound like the kind of film which makes it on to my short list to be honest.

    And I won't even mention that I thought you meant Pinky and that it was another mouse reference
    Your loss- it's a badass movie. Two thumbs up!

    I hate smoking, the tobacco industry, etc. This is probably not a well-reasoned position on my part, but it just seems surreal to me that people are fighting for the right to light sticks of vegetable matter and chemicals and inhale the smoke into their bodies, and wave the sticks around in public places so other people have to inhale the smoke, too.

    I'm married to a smoker. He has tried quitting so many times but it's like pushing a boulder uphill for him so, so far, he has not quit for good. I don't have a problem with smokers, really, and I'm even tolerant of a bit of secondhand smoke (although IME considerate smokers don't want to subject me to it). It's the industry that really burns me up (no pun intended). I live in North Carolina, and I grew up near where RJReynolds is based. Both sides of my family have profitted from the tobacco industry (by farming tobacco on my mother's side, and my father's father was a buying agent for American Tobacco). I've benefitted from their profits, so this is a sticky issue for me. I've also picked tobacco as a teen in the summers, and there is nothing on earth that smells better to me than fresh and curing tobacco leaves.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  7. #157
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    The flick is a cheap rental and well worth it for a Sunday afternoon. It's somewhat dated, made in 1975. It's not exactly an action flick, but there is some action in it. It's a good story, well told. John Huston directed it. Have some good beer on hand for the occasion.
    I'll keep my eye out for it.

    Not sure about the beer and the Sunday afternoon but I'll have a peek
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Your loss- it's a badass movie. Two thumbs up!
    I can't possibly watch them all. I have enough problems motivating myself without "having" to watch one more movie before bed each day
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I hate smoking, the tobacco industry, etc. This is probably not a well-reasoned position on my part, but it just seems surreal to me that people are fighting for the right to light sticks of vegetable matter and chemicals and inhale the smoke into their bodies, and wave the sticks around in public places so other people have to inhale the smoke, too.
    The right to have children isn't logical, most rights aren't logical so rather than try and cover them all your supposed to have certain freedoms. Whether you use your freedom for logical or illogical passtimes is irrelevant. Besides people tend to take things personally when they get singled out no matter how logical it is that they should be singled out.

    From my POV it's not that they're banning smoking from public places it's that it's handed down from up on high. No democracy, no voting with your feet, just a flat everywhere has to be totally no smoking or else.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  8. #158
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think the parallel between gun ownership and smoking is similar to Wildcat's comparison of smoking to running a leafblower -- i.e. faulty. No offense Mr./Mrs./Ms. Cat.

    Most people here are not proposing to ban smoking outright, merely place MORE limitations on smoking than there are already. These limitations balance the needs and safety of the few vs. the many the enjoyment of those who partake vs. the safety of everyone else.

    You can have your guns but I believe you're not allowed to run around everywhere you want with a loaded weapon. Same as a leafblower, there are noise pollution ordinances and rules you have to follow as far as when you can run one. Same with smoking -- you can smoke but you can't smoke everywhere you want.

    I personally don't think there's anything wrong with judicious use of limits and guidelines and looking at matters holistically. With freedoms come responsibilities.
    Don't let them get started.

    At the onset of World War I temperance groups were successfully able to argue that alcohol was a disadvantageous factor for the troops and drinking in the military was subsequently banned. Prohibition soon followed.

    I too will say that guns and cigarettes are not the same but rights are rights and freedoms are freedoms. Please don't take any away from me or my countrymen. It may start with a ban on smoking in public places or outdoors but people that love to steal rights and freedom away from others are never satisfied until the world fits into their mold.

    What looks like a well intended move to protect society to some people looks like a group of freedom stealing, control freaks to me. You give these people an inch they will take a mile. One day they might come for some of your rights and freedoms.

  9. #159
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,911

    Default

    Yeah, one prudent regulation is the gateway to brutal Fascism.
    :rolli:
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  10. #160
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    103

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Yeah, one prudent regulation is the gateway to brutal Fascism.
    :rolli:
    Now your getting it!

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Smoking Ban
    By WildCard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. Smoking ban decreases heart attacks
    By burymecloser in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO