User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 51314151617 Last

Thread: smoking ban

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    :steam: Careful... next you'll want my guns.
    'sawright... just give 'em the ammo first.

I'm torn. I absolutely detest cigarette smoke and won't go to any restaurant or place that allows it. So I'd personally be happy with a ban. On the other hand I'm all for owners of these establishments being able to make their own decisions about their businesses and all that. The public can decide with their dollars.

MBTI

If you're honestly concerned about second hand smoke's limited (if even real) impact on your health, I'd better not catch you eating a big mac or dousing alcohol.

it's frightening how people will eat anything mommy spoonfeeds to them

EDIT: Diabetes and Heart disease can strike/kill as young as 50 at astonishing rates.

The ad campaigns are godawful.

Fat people are smelly and painful to look at.

The food tastes like total shit and made me sick the few times I've eaten it.

BAN MACDONALDS
    innit?

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Personally, I'm not concerned about second-hand smoke because of the long-term health risks, I'm concerned about second-hand smoke because it's horrible and smelly and makes me feel ill when I walk through a cloud of it.

I wouldn't care if people smoked where I didn't have to walk through it, but they do.

Thankfully smoking's been banned in any public indoor place for a long time, here. It's great!
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    'sawright... just give 'em the ammo first.
    I think the parallel between gun ownership and smoking is similar to Wildcat's comparison of smoking to running a leafblower -- i.e. faulty. No offense Mr./Mrs./Ms. Cat.

Most people here are not proposing to ban smoking outright, merely place MORE limitations on smoking than there are already. These limitations balance the needs and safety of the few vs. the many the enjoyment of those who partake vs. the safety of everyone else.

You can have your guns but I believe you're not allowed to run around everywhere you want with a loaded weapon. Same as a leafblower, there are noise pollution ordinances and rules you have to follow as far as when you can run one. Same with smoking -- you can smoke but you can't smoke everywhere you want.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with judicious use of limits and guidelines and looking at matters holistically. With freedoms come responsibilities.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I think the parallel between gun ownership and smoking is similar to Wildcat's comparison of smoking to running a leafblower -- i.e. faulty. No offense Mr./Mrs./Ms. Cat.

Most people here are not proposing to ban smoking outright, merely place MORE limitations on smoking than there are already. These limitations balance the needs and safety of the few vs. the many the enjoyment of those who partake vs. the safety of everyone else.

You can have your guns but I believe you're not allowed to run around everywhere you want with a loaded weapon. Same as a leafblower, there are noise pollution ordinances and rules you have to follow as far as when you can run one. Same with smoking -- you can smoke but you can't smoke everywhere you want.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with judicious use of limits and guidelines and looking at matters holistically. With freedoms come responsibilities.
    The only thing that got my back up when they did this over here is that they effectively banned gun clubs too!!

You may not run any place now in England where people can congregate and smoke. That is illegal.

The rationale behind this part of the paper is confusing as you can't really say it's killing people via second hand smoke, no one in such a club would object to the smoky atmosphere, no one is forced to work there and if it says "Sam's smoking club" on the door, the job adverts and the letter head then your a complete dumbass if you apply to work there and then winge that you don't like the smell of smoke!

Basically they went too far because it was easy to go this far versus a group of people who other's can feel justified in singling out.

Imagine them trying to do this with firearms in the US. Imagine the uproar.

In fact that is a good point, what are the effects of inhaling the smoke from a smoking gun?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    The only thing that got my back up when they did this over here is that they effectively banned gun clubs too!!

You may not run any place now in England where people can congregate and smoke. That is illegal.

The rationale behind this part of the paper is confusing as you can't really say it's killing people via second hand smoke, no one in such a club would object to the smoky atmosphere, no one is forced to work there and if it says "Sam's smoking club" on the door, the job adverts and the letter head then your a complete dumbass if you apply to work there and then winge that you don't like the smell of smoke!

Basically they went too far because it was easy to go this far versus a group of people who other's can feel justified in singling out.

Imagine them trying to do this with firearms in the US. Imagine the uproar.

In fact that is a good point, what are the effects of inhaling the smoke from a smoking gun?
    What doth mine weary bleary old eyes witness in this unopportune moment? What hath happened to the Merry Old?

In England you could smoke in the movies! My tutor smoked when he tutored me! At school the students smoked even during classes!

What is happening in the world? Oh benighted wicked times! O tempora! O mores!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    What doth mine weary bleary old eyes witness in this unopportune moment? What hath happened to the Merry Old?

In England you could smoke in the movies! My tutor smoked when he tutored me! At school the students smoked even during classes!

What is happening in the world? Oh benighted wicked times! O tempora! O mores!
    Worse still... those famous gentlemen's clubs that England (I say England only because I'm unaware of similar institutions in other regions of the UK) should be proud of... those bastions filled with pipe and cigar smokers...well no more. It seems that even those places which have been almost centred around smokers for longer than any politician has been alive are now illegal and must change to suit this new upsurge in nannyism.

It is a sad day when all choice must be thrown upon the fire so that you can be "looked after properly". I wonder how long it will be until we all live in what would effectively be care homes.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    It is a sad day when all choice must be thrown upon the fire so that you can be "looked after properly". I wonder how long it will be until we all live in what would effectively be care homes.
    This is precisely my point. What is there to counterbalance this urge to seek safety at all costs?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This is precisely my point. What is there to counterbalance this urge to seek safety at all costs?
    We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.