User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

    17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

    32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

    28 36.36%
First 21011121314 Last

Results 111 to 120 of 212

Thread: smoking ban

  1. #111
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Magic P -- you totally stole my line. :P

    Are you really done with this thread? Because I think it would be more entertaining if you came bacvk in.

    Actually, you wrote a cheer very similar to what I posted in the 'Battle Rationale Royale' where are you INTPs and ENTPs were getting all het up about who's more rational.

    BTW -- who won?
    Aw. That's nice of you to say.


    I think we agreed that it was the INTP, but ironically, for argumentatively different reasons...
    I did, however, pose the point that an S might be more objective than an N after all..
    Still, hardly anyone denied that an INTP would be more objective than an ENTP, regardless.

    That thing spun way out of control, and I kind of withdrew.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  2. #112
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Hah hah... Well, there are patches/whatever that wouldn't cause the withdrawal to kick in... though the habit would still want to kick in under stress. The people thing I understand, although I use headphones for that!

    But just saying.

    I understand your point

    I do beleive that the tobacco companies and "quit smoking product" companies are in some evil plot together- look at the price of quit smoking devices and it will make you hate them, the cigarette companies and yourself!

    such a good way to escape people though! I can sit in silence AND nobody tries to talk to me!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #113
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,907

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

    I do beleive that the tobacco companies and "quit smoking product" companies are in some evil plot together- look at the price of quit smoking devices and it will make you hate them, the cigarette companies and yourself!
    They are!
    It's also funny to note that those horribly stupid and annoying anti-smoking adds are paid for by tobacco companies.
    HHMMMMMmm? Any leverage there?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  4. #114
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I understand your point

    I do beleive that the tobacco companies and "quit smoking product" companies are in some evil plot together- look at the price of quit smoking devices and it will make you hate them, the cigarette companies and yourself!
    Well, I don't like seeing people hurt themselves I'm not really going to argue if you want to do it... but it's different if you are doing it for the wrong reason or because they can't quit... Addiction sucks.

    Besides, the world needs more ISTPs

  5. #115
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,121

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Well, I don't like seeing people hurt themselves I'm not really going to argue if you want to do it... but it's different if you are doing it for the wrong reason or because they can't quit... Addiction sucks.

    Besides, the world needs more ISTPs
    I've made some bad decisions in the past- picking up on an addictive habit definitley falls into that category! I'll probably succeed in quitting once I get out of this hellhole of a town in May

    I've really come a long way in the past year though...

    thanks!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #116
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Name one.
    Okay.
    Introvert stuck in a student house with three extroverts and expected to socialise and such even when that meant meeting people in a strange city. Talk about anxiety.

    This was where I was at when I first started smoking.

    Afterwards....

    Can talk for ages, approach people (still not happy about it at the time), socialise and stuff.

    See to me cigarettes are an excellent way of nipping outside for 5 minutes to catch some peace whilst "socialising". Also smokers form a kind of community which helps to get you accepted without having to be all dressed up in the fashions and talking the latest street speak. Also when talking to someone in deep discussion it firstly gives me something to focus my mind upon so I don't get bored or (more likely) meander off in my own head and lose the whole conversation, in addition to this it helps to keep me calm.

    I know there's probably half a dozen alternatives but that's like correcting someone who brought a kite to a parachute jump half way down. You may be correct but you are just too late.

    Besides I dislike all this so called medical research stuff. Every year there are five more things I shouldn't do and five things I must do. Half the time they overlap!
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  7. #117
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Name one.
    This is a dangerous mode of thinking. It applies equally to eating cheeseburgers, riding motorcycles, flying ultralight aircraft, drinking red wine, shooting skeet...

    There is no compelling reason to do any of these things, frankly... but the individual's freedom to do them is precious indeed

    A society would be foolish to throw these freedoms away in the interest of a little safety, or (worse) a little economy.

  8. #118
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    This is a dangerous mode of thinking. It applies equally to eating cheeseburgers, riding motorcycles, flying ultralight aircraft, drinking red wine, shooting skeet...

    There is no compelling reason to do any of these things, frankly... but the individual's freedom to do them is precious indeed

    A society would be foolish to throw these freedoms away in the interest of a little safety, or (worse) a little economy.
    This is the problem, they ARE doing it.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  9. #119
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    This is the problem, they ARE doing it.
    I'm well aware.

  10. #120
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I'm well aware.
    No you're not. You're some kinda mouse!

    I hates mieces to pieces
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Similar Threads

  1. The Banned and The Damned
    By Haight in forum Official Decrees
    Replies: 331
    Last Post: 11-30-2017, 07:12 PM
  2. Smoking Ban
    By WildCard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 12:33 PM
  3. Smoking ban decreases heart attacks
    By burymecloser in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 03:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO