User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you support a public smoking ban?

Voters
77. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, I support a smoking ban both indoors and outdoors

17 22.08%
  • yes, I support a smoking ban, but only indoors

32 41.56%
  • no, I do not support a smoking ban/keep things as they were

28 36.36%
First 91011121321 Last

Thread: smoking ban

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I love you, Gatsby.

In a purely heterosexual way, of course.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I would support a smoking ban for indoors in public buildings that the general populace are required to visit. There are people with serious health issues that could be damaged by the second hand smoke. Private businesses should have freedom to choose their own policy. If the customer visits a building by choice then a legislated ban makes no sense to me. The vendor can weigh the risk to customer base and make a choice.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Name one.
    studies say that smoking reduces the risk of developing parkinson's disease and altzheimer's disease and is considered thereputic for some digestive disorders

and it's also good at releiving stress (if I were less stressed I'd probably have succeeded in quitting smoking!)- really good at releiving stress!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP

Yes I have proof that the total cost of health care equals $100.00.

come on get real.

The math is simple. It looks difficult to follow but it's not really.

If you charge someone for something in advance and you charge him or her for the same thing at the time of need. Then they pay twice. It's real simple once a person takes their anti-smoking goggles off. If it helps, you can imagine that it's not smoking we are talking about.

Candy!

Candy may cause me to get cavities. If I pay a cavity tax for every piece of candy I eat then if I finally get a cavity it should be paid for. After all, where is the money if it is not paying for my cavity? I would hope it's not being used for funding of some war or paying the interest rate for borrowed money.

Does smoking really pay the entire cost of all healthcare for both smoking related illnesses and non-smoking related illness alike? No, that is just stupid. But what percent of smokers actually develop a smoking related illness? Many smokers die of the same thing non-smokers die of everyday. They're killed by car crashes, fires, seeing Ellen Degeneres in a thong, and Carcinogens released into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels etc...

The average smoker pays an average tobacco tax of $1.50 per pack and lives an average of 5 years less than a non-smoker or 68.3 years. Since most smokers start smoking by the age of 15 than the average smoker will pay into the healthcare system $84,062.09 at an interest rate of only 3.5%.
    if 1 in five smokers were to develop a smoking related illness that they would not have developed from carcinogens released from automobiles, sunbathing, bologna or any other environmental factors that cause many related illnesses that mimic those of smoking related illnesses, then each smoker should be entitled to 84,062.09 * 5 for smoking related care. that is what smokers are paying for.

http://www.tobaccofreekids.org/resea...s/pdf/0207.pdf

Lifespan of Americans Falling Behind Other Countries - Warrior Fitness World

Compound Interest Calculator

And really, if you didn't ride a bus would the world end? Or could you simply move closer to work and walk? Or is it an inconvenience? Do you have an addiction for easier than walking travel?

Although we do have laws for how someone can drive there is no ban on driving a car for pleasure. Maybe cruise the boulevard, site see, that type of thing. And although there are taxes paid for gas, cars, etc they are not healthcare taxes. They are not monies paid to compensate for their contribution to healthcare costs. Like I said before, I'm not against a ban. I am against unfair laws. If it applies to one then it should apply to all.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by samIam View Post
    Yes I have proof that the total cost of health care equals $100.00.
    I meant that it balances. FWIW, I also provided the data that shows that it doesn't.

Does smoking really pay the entire cost of all healthcare for both smoking related illnesses and non-smoking related illness alike? No, that is just stupid. But what percent of smokers actually develop a smoking related illness? Many smokers die of the same thing non-smokers die of everyday. They're killed by car crashes, fires, seeing Ellen Degeneres in a thong, and Carcinogens released into the atmosphere by burning fossil fuels etc...
    I included the math for you to show that smoking related effects are greater than the income taken in from taxation. True, I didn't multiply the numbers for you, but in case you were curious, it doesn't.

The average smoker pays an average tobacco tax of $1.50 per pack and lives an average of 5 years less than a non-smoker or 68.3 years. Since most smokers start smoking by the age of 15 than the average smoker will pay into the healthcare system $84,062.09 at an interest rate of only 3.5%.
    if 1 in five smokers were to develop a smoking related illness that they would not have developed from carcinogens released from automobiles, sunbathing, bologna or any other environmental factors that cause many related illnesses that mimic those of smoking related illnesses, then each smoker should be entitled to 84,062.09 * 5 for smoking related care. that is what smokers are paying for.
    I gave you the math, taken from the government (US, except for the cost allocation - the US doesn't track it because of the privatised care). Smoking contributes about 1% to healthcare, but problems directly related to smoking would be far more than that.

Smokers don't pay their own fair share, never mind sharing the detrimental effects on others.

And really, if you didn't ride a bus would the world end?
    If no one used transportation, then the human population would be a fraction of the current population.

Or could you simply move closer to work and walk?
    I work in a downtown core - I cannot afford to get close enough to walk. I bought a place on a major transit line as the next best thing.

Or is it an inconvenience?
    Oh, it is... rough doing shopping sometimes.

Do you have an addiction for easier than walking travel?
    No, and that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard so far. It simply isn't practical for me to do then 10 km in the morning and night.

Although we do have laws for how someone can drive there is no ban on driving a car for pleasure.
    There is for racing, for example, because it is a risk for the public.

Maybe cruise the boulevard, site see, that type of thing.
    Don't worry, you can still smoke at home and outside.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and it's also good at releiving stress (if I were less stressed I'd probably have succeeded in quitting smoking!)- really good at releiving stress!
    Just to point out that smoking doesn't reduce stress - it increases it. The only reason it feels like it does is because withdrawal causes stress.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Just to point out that smoking doesn't reduce stress - it increases it. The only reason it feels like it does is because withdrawal causes stress.
    and quitting would cause far more stress than I need right now!

(and the act of getting away from everyone else and getting to sit alone by myself is kind of nice as well!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    and quitting would cause far more stress than I need right now!

(and the act of getting away from everyone else and getting to sit alone by myself is kind of nice as well!)
    Hah hah... Well, there are patches/whatever that wouldn't cause the withdrawal to kick in... though the habit would still want to kick in under stress. The people thing I understand, although I use headphones for that!

But just saying.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Goooooo, gatsby!

IIIIIII'mmmm enjoying this too much.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

Magic P -- you totally stole my line. :P

Are you really done with this thread? Because I think it would be more entertaining if you came bacvk in.

Actually, you wrote a cheer very similar to what I posted in the 'Battle Rationale Royale' where are you INTPs and ENTPs were getting all het up about who's more rational.

BTW -- who won?