User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Survival Horror Cinema, Games and TV shows

What does anyone think of the survival horror genre? I've been reading about it for a while, there were games that predated Resident Evil including an ancient NES and film release in Japan called Sweet Home, which is similar in style I think to the story of the Haunting of Hill House, I think that greats within this genre include the remakes of The Hills Have Eyes.

I think the reason is because while they are horrorific films, featuring cannibalism, rape, perversion and in breed sub-human monsters (you know this is an old story, before HHE and Texas Chainsaw Massacre there was the story of Seany Bean in Scotland) they also feature people who conquer their own abhorence for violence, trauma and prevail through a sher will to survive.

In a way I thnk they are life affirming and try to convey the get smart and get tough message that the horror genre once imparted, I mean long ago when it was mainly in print, in fact I think that a lot of the more frightening (by modern standards) childrens stories are of this genre in a way too.

Anyway, thought I'd post a thread, its also one of those "new" or relatively new genres, coming in with Resident Evil, although it has clear precursors like the films I mentioned or the earlier still stories.

Only that, out of so many humans in the world only a minority stays "sane" and tries to survive from the majority.

In a way I thnk they are life affirming and try to convey the get smart and get tough message that the horror genre once imparted, I mean long ago when it was mainly in print, in fact I think that a lot of the more frightening (by modern standards) childrens stories are of this genre in a way too.
    mabey just mabey.

Personaly It's a whole lot of fun playing the games about such genre (eaven if it is the crappyest story you've ever heard), but waching it as a movie or reading about it from a book dosen't intrest me one bit.

I'd love to try to survive such horid conditions (just for the sake to test out my abilities to the max), if not in real life then in a game. Why? Because to me thats a whole lot of fun right there. And when/if I do die then at least I'll die with a , at least at my final moments I'll know my limit.

MBTI
    NICE

Arts & Entertainment
    A&E: Discuss art, literature, television, movies, and music-- both from the outside world and member-generated.
    What do you think Larky, me ol' fruit?

Survival Horror Cinema, Games and TV shows - "Current Events" or "Arts & Entertainment"?

It's difficult, buddy. Really, really fucking difficult.

All the best.