User Tag List

123 Last

Phantonym

Default Why I Don't Have a Girlfriend

It's all in the math.

Short paper in .pdf format explaining the use of the Drake Equation can be found here - Why I don't have a girlfriend: An application of the Drake Equation to love in the UK

Source of the newspaper article

A man studying in London has taken a mathematical equation that predicts the possibility of alien life in the universe to explain why he can't find a girlfriend.

Peter Backus, a native of Seattle and PhD candidate and Teaching Fellow in the Department of Economics at the University of Warwick, near London, in his paper, " Why I don't have a girlfriend: An application of the Drake Equation to love in the UK ," used math to estimate the number of potential girlfriends in the UK.

In describing the paper on the university Web site he wrote "the results are not encouraging. The probability of finding love in the UK is only about 100 times better than the probability of finding intelligent life in our galaxy."

Click Liverpool reported that Backus, 30, found that of the 30 million women in the UK, only 26 would be suitable girlfriends for him. His equation looked at the total number of women in the country, then narrowed it down using relevant factors including the number of women in London; the number of "age-appropriate" women (those aged between 24-34); women with a college degree; and those who Backus would find physically attractive.

In the paper Backus summarized that on a given night out in London there is a 0.0000034 percent chance of meeting a woman that meets his criteria and who is also interested in him. That makes his odds of finding a girlfriend only about 100 times better than finding an alien.

But in the end Backus defied the odds. Asylum reported that Backus has a girlfriend of about six months. "She's from London," he told the Web site. "And she meets all my criteria."

The Drake Equation was developed in 1961 by Dr. Frank Drake at the National Radio Astronomy Observatory in West Virginia. It reads N = R* x Fp x Ne x Fi x Fc x L, and helped predict that there could be 10,000 civilizations in our galaxy. The SETI Web site has more information about what each factor represents. Wikipedia also has an expansive entry about the equation.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

If he would just go the supermarket and hold a cucumber at waist level and walk arouond smiling at all the cute girls, he would have a girlfriend.

More fun = girlfriend
    Too much stoicism = single

--------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    infp

Anyone with such a narrow criteria doesn't really deserve a girlfriend.

I mean how picky must you be to believe there are only 24 females in the whole of the UK who can match up to your expectations?

Yay for him that he has a girlfriend, but I hope he doesn't match her long term criteria, it would be a fair lesson to learn.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari

Phantonym

In the article, he says he has a girlfriend. But if he really didn't, I'd say that his problem was way too much math.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    I mean how picky must you be to believe there are only 24 females in the whole of the UK who can match up to your expectations?
    Maybe he took in consideration how pathetic his research sounds to the ladies and calculated how unattractive it will make him to most women.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well, considering he already had a girlfriend, I'm guessing he was doing it to make her feel special.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I don't know why someone hasn't yet pointed out that maybe he did not find her, maybe her list included 5 million guys and she found him.

But seriously, people are people. We claim to have lists, but usually we judge by the overall package and look-n-feel. (Anyone ever go out to buy a car and find themselves flexing based on how the vehicle resonates, regardless if it matches all the points you thought were SO important?) You might regret the decision later, true, when the thing(s) you wanted isn't there, but... you still end up making the purchase.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Well, considering he already had a girlfriend, I'm guessing he was doing it to make her feel special.
    Good point. Hmm.. It kinda makes me angry that he will publish something as "science" just to please his girl. And saying this makes me think I might be an INTJ after all...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Well five in the UK isnt bad, I only really know of one in the UK I'm interested in, there's plenty I'd date but keep as a girlfriend is a different matter.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

dude, this is EXACTLY the reasoning why i never looked to begin with. The odds are just so against me....

then I discovered the marvel that is ENFJ women. at least now i know what to look for, and i can have better odds than this guy does