User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Can it be anything other than Monsanto?
    ... What about MacDonalds, with their 99 billion served?... We're doomed!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Something else I find very disturbing is genetic pollution.

In Canada, many farmers are growing genetically modified canola. Canada also has some organic canola farmers. Organic canola farmers cannot sell genetically modified canola, because that canola is not "organic" (DNA tests are performed to verify that canola is not genetically modified). If any seeds blow onto their farm from a neighboring farm (using genetically modified canola), their farm becomes contaminated (GMOs produce hybrids with the organic canola) and their canola can no longer be certified as organic. Not only do these farmers get screwed because Monsanto's products pollute their farm, but Monsanto then has the audacity to sue these farmers for theft (the genetically modified canola is patented).

Eventually, virtually all natural canola will have its DNA polluted by the genetically modified canola and natural canola will be extinct. This is also happening with corn. It's a big issue in Mexico.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Did you know that the general public is listed as a corporation too?...
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Hah

Isn't the point that corporations are inherently evil. Some are just more successful. (And a bit more cynical).

This just doesn't seem to be the appropriate discussion to have on the topic. I understand the entertainment value of this ranking thing, but wouldn't more relevant and constructive questions be for example: What model could replace the corporations without a loss in productivity? Do we need to sustain this level of productivity?
    But again, I understand that those questions may not be what you guys are in the mood to debate right now.

MBTI
    NiTe
    Enneagram
    1w9 sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

starbucks

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Sture View Post
    Isn't the point that corporations are inherently evil. Some are just more successful. (And a bit more cynical).

This just doesn't seem to be the appropriate discussion to have on the topic. I understand the entertainment value of this ranking thing, but wouldn't more relevant and constructive questions be for example: What model could replace the corporations without a loss in productivity? Do we need to sustain this level of productivity?
    But again, I understand that those questions may not be what you guys are in the mood to debate right now.
    I wouldn't use the word evil for much of anything myself, and this topic says "dangerous", which is not completely objective, but a fairly objective concept. Evil would indeed be dysphemistic, but successful is euphemistic if you ask me. Successful does not capture the point of concern.

Cooperatives could be adopted. A number of cases have been made that cooperatives can be about as productive as corporations. If not, then I would state that we certainly do over-produce, and the little sacrifice is worth it. In many cases there are less productive but more efficient means, which is something Americans seem to have mostly forgotten. Making more tangible shit is actually not automatically more efficient, many other factors need be considered.

However, the question here isn't even really about productivity or efficiency. What we have to question here is why a company like Monsanto has to be so hazardous to its surroundings? Is that necessary for what it does, and if it is (I doubt it), is what it does justifiable? What's the good reason for all of the lawsuits? These things are the focus of the topic, as far as I can tell.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

I don't understand how you can copyright genes. I mean, if you tried to sue them for it, how would you be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that that the "stolen" genes had not mutated there on their own? I can understand how you could with the glow-in-the-dark tobacco, but corn? No.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Antitrust time. About time.

U.S. Opens Antitrust Probe of Monsanto - WSJ.com

Bitching about how horrible Monsanto is can only do so much. Sometimes government has to step up.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Antitrust time. About time.

U.S. Opens Antitrust Probe of Monsanto - WSJ.com

Bitching about how horrible Monsanto is can only do so much. Sometimes government has to step up.
    The government only responds when the consequences of the bitching become greater than the bribes.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    The government only responds when the consequences of the bitching become greater than the bribes.
    Thus is the world we live in.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump