User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I'm sure there is some competition out there (Walmart and its hordes of East Asian sweatshop maybe-not-quite-slaves come to mind), but Monsanto is certainly a more-than-worthy candidate. I laughed the first time I heard about them suing farmers who'd had their Roundup-Ready seed blown in on the wind from neighboring fields. Then I realized that the story wasn't a joke. Just the tip of the iceberg, I'm afraid.
    In my opinion, Wal-Mart just doesn't compare. Their power is limited. Monsanto's is potentially infinite. They could potentially own all food on the planet.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Dude. I lived in Ballwin, Missouri for 2 years. Neighboring towns were Manchester, Creve Couer, Ladue, St. Charles, etc. I lived off of Woodsmill Road, in a townhome community called Woodsmill Village. Manchester Road was not far from where I lived. I went to Parkway West Junior High School for 7th and 8th grasde.

Anyway, my brother is 10 years older than me, and on weekends sometimes he and I would just get in his car and drive around. We took a left off of some road off of Manchester and drove way the fuck out, and by God I guarantee you we drove through Times, Beach. The town was deserted. We saw no one. And at the end of the road through there was this big ass sign that read "You have driven through x.y miles of Dioxin Contamination. Blah, blah, blah..." It was really fucking spooky.

I have other stories of chemical giants I can discuss in PM...
    I spent most of my childhood in St. Charles County and went to Francis Howell High School for 9th and 10th grades. That school was really close to a superfund site...Weldon Spring Ordnance Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri is a state full of wonders!

Times Beach is now Route 66 State Park.
    Last edited by Lateralus; 01-14-2010 at 10:54 AM. Reason: typo
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I spent most of my childhood in St. Charles County and went to Francis Howell High School for 9th and 10th grades. That school was really close to a superfund site...Weldon Spring Ordnance Works - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Missouri is state full of wonders!

Times Beach is now Route 66 State Park.
    Hell's entrance is Detroit, its back-end St. Louis.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, patenting a pig isn't a far leap from patenting plants, which they do all of the time. One of Monsanto's many charming habits is to sue farmers that in some way or another supposedly use Monsanto patented crops without authorization.

What really blows about this is that Monsanto breeds have already gotten loose in the environment and generally escaped monitoring. It's only a matter of time before a farmer starts using one entirely by accident and gets sued for it (if it hasn't happened already).
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Here's my vote:

Blackwater pays compensation to Iraqi victims

Monsanto and Archer Daniels Midland are pretty terrible, too.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

omg lol

now i feel bad cause I tend to be too greedy to spend the extra euro for natural grown food products.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Yikes. By "really close", do you mean "just down the road, 200 yards, tops"? One of the places I enjoy hiking is on that road, just a bit farther from the high school than what I think is entrance to the area you're talking about.

And yeah - Blackwater and ADM are pretty high on the list, too.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Hell's entrance is Detroit, its back-end St. Louis.
    Is it just St. Louis? Or is it the entire state of Missouri?

This happened in Sturgeon, MO.

MONSANTO LIABLE IN '79 DIOXIN SPILL - NYTimes.com

Monsanto Chemical Spill Verdict Overturned

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Yikes. By "really close", do you mean "just down the road, 200 yards, tops"? One of the places I enjoy hiking is on that road, just a bit farther from the high school than what I think is entrance to the area you're talking about.

And yeah - Blackwater and ADM are pretty high on the list, too.
    To be honest, I don't exactly remember (It's been almost 20 years since I attended). However, I do remember a pond (part of the site) that was visible from school grounds. We used to joke about how there was a loch ness-type monster in the water. It wasn't until years later that I learned just how dangerous that water really was.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, patenting a pig isn't a far leap from patenting plants, which they do all of the time. One of Monsanto's many charming habits is to sue farmers that in some way or another supposedly use Monsanto patented crops without authorization.

What really blows about this is that Monsanto breeds have already gotten loose in the environment and generally escaped monitoring. It's only a matter of time before a farmer starts using one entirely by accident and gets sued for it (if it hasn't happened already).
    Monsanto absolutely rapes farmers over this BS. Seeds get blown (by the wind) into other fields, then Monsanto uses their weight to crush the poor farmer. It should be the other way around. The farmers should be able to sue Monsanto for allowing rogue DNA to infiltrate their property.
    Last edited by Lateralus; 01-14-2010 at 10:55 AM. Reason: clarity