User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Default Devastating 7.0 Earthquake, Aftershocks in Haiti

Devastating 7.0 Earthquake, Aftershocks in Haiti

Here's NYT's coverage of the story: Fierce Quake Devastates Haitian Capital

From CNN, photos and reports of aftershocks: Photos, texts begin to tell of destruction in Haiti

Exerpt from NYT:

SANTO DOMINGO, Dominican Republic —Rescue teams struggled in the early morning darkness Wednesday to make their way through the rubble of collapsed buildings after a devastating earthquake struck Haiti late Tuesday afternoon.

The quake, with a magnitude estimated at 7.0, caused the collapse of the National Palace, leveled countless shantytown dwellings and brought more suffering to a nation that was already the hemisphere’s poorest and most disaster-prone.
    Disaster Relief

If you want to contribute to disaster relief efforts, this NYT blog entry gives you a list of organizations: Haiti Disaster Relief: How to Contribute
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!

I trully don't understand why people get excited about things like this.

1. They are living on the border of two tectonic plates. Where the potential for very stong earthquakes is the strongest.
    2. It was also known that most buildings over there can't sustain this kind of a earthquake.
    3. It is well know for decades that they are very poor country in every way. I mean no one was really that much interested in helping them before this.

Basicly it was a tragedy ment to happen and now everybody are getting emotional about this. What is technically pointless if we overlook the fact that is hypocritical in a way.

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I trully don't understand why people get excited about things like this.

1. They are living on the border of two tectonic plates. Where the potential for very stong earthquakes is the strongest.
    2. It was also known that most buildings over there can't sustain this kind of a earthquake.
    3. It is well know for decades that they are very poor country in every way. I mean no one was really that much interested in helping them before this.

Basicly it was a tragedy ment to happen and now everybody are getting emotional about this. What is technically pointless if we overlook the fact that is hypocritical in a way.
    What is wrong with you? So people should have known better, I don't think that helps anyone who is suffering now because they have lost everything they own/their friends and relatives/their house etc. If you don't feel any compassion at all then at least keep your opinion to yourself, it's not helping. Or actually help this poor country by donating some money to support the emergency services, that would be useful.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    What is wrong with you? So people should have known better, I don't think that helps anyone who is suffering now because they have lost everything they own/their friends and relatives/their house etc. If you don't feel any compassion at all then at least keep your opinion to yourself, it's not helping. Or actually help this poor country by donating some money to support the emergency services, that would be useful.
    He is saying that it's a relatively unremarkable geological event made memorable by the fact that some people happen to live there.

And I agree with him. Same thing will happen when half of Cali drops off the face of the earth.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Haiti can never get a break.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post

Come on. Everything he said is true. You live on Cape Hatteras and you're shocked you get hit with frequent hurricanes? You live in California and...how could an earthquakes happen? You live in Oklahoma and where the fuck did this tornado come from? Please somebody help me! I choose to live here but I didn't know this could happen!

There will be aid pouring into Hati any moment now. This isn't New Orleans you know.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

AO is right in theory. But on the same level, children can't help where they've been born. And when people are that poor, educational levels are much lower. Meaning, the world might have known but not many Haitians would have had access to that information. So, yeah, I feel bad for them.

But California is another story entirely. I keep waiting with baited breath to see what happens to the houses on stilts, hanging off the sides of mountains.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    AO is right in theory. But on the same level, children can't help where they've been born. And when people are that poor, educational levels are much lower. Meaning, the world might have known but not many Haitians would have had access to that information. So, yeah, I feel bad for them.

But California is another story entirely. I keep waiting with baited breath to see what happens to the houses on stilts, hanging off the sides of mountains.
    If this was in a developed country then I would agree with the little sympathy hard-line stance, but we're talking about one of the poorest countries in the world here. And it's an island with 9 million people sitting on a major fault line. Where do you expect them to move to?
    4w5, Fi>Ne>Ti>Si>Ni>Fe>Te>Se, sp > so > sx

appreciates being appreciated, conflicted over conflicts, afraid of being afraid, bad at being bad, predictably unpredictable, consistently inconsistent, remarkably unremarkable...

I may not agree with what you are feeling, but I will defend to death your right to have a good cry over it

The whole problem with the world is that fools & fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. ~ Bertrand Russell

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by William K View Post
    If this was in a developed country then I would agree with the little sympathy hard-line stance, but we're talking about one of the poorest countries in the world here. And it's an island with 9 million people sitting on a major fault line. Where do you expect them to move to?
    I agree. Yes, it's the way of the world, but it still is sad. And considering that no countries will let Haitians in, they truly have no where to go.

MBTI
    pfni
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    But on the same level, children can't help where they've been born. And when people are that poor, educational levels are much lower. Meaning, the world might have known but not many Haitians would have had access to that information.
    Not to mention the fact that they might lack the means to obtain a more suitable dwelling in a safer area of the world. You don't have to have formal education to be aware of the hurricanes that bring damage to the Caribbean far more frequently than do seismic events of this proportion: they experience them first hand. The issue is largely one of resources - retrofitting run down shacks isn't exactly a feasible option. Nor is uprooting (from jobs, social/familial networks, etc.) to another country easy, especially if you can expect to be maltreated and underpaid thereafter.
    Type: INFP Enneagram: 4
    Fi>Si>Ne>Te>Fe>Se>Ti>Ni

ˇcataplum!