User Tag List

First 78910 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

You should have used your brain before taking these sources for granted.

That's exactly what I've said.

For instance, the paper from Tinku says that Argentina produces 135 million tons of cereals, and then immediately projects this number on human consumption.
    But this is incorrect, since more than half of this output is made of soya, corn and other low quality products designed to feed cattles. So basically, either the editor is incredibly stupid, or either he's deliberately making propaganda by mixing two different kind of datas: The numbers are correct, but not sufficient if do not know how to interpret them. So it's a lie.

If you have no notion of modern agronomy, then the best is often to stay cautious.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    You should have used your brain before taking these sources for granted.

That's exactly what I've said.

For instance, the paper from Tinku says that Argentina produces 135 million tons of cereals, and then immediately projects this number on human consumption.
    But this is incorrect, since more than half of this output is made of soya, corn and other low quality products designed to feed cattles. So basically, either the editor is incredibly stupid, or either he's deliberately making propaganda by mixing two different kind of datas: The numbers are correct, but not sufficient if do not know how to interpret them. So it's a lie.

If you have no notion of modern agronomy, then the best is often to stay cautious.
    Ok, let's say you're right, the point remains the same. In a country that can feed 200million people, millions are starving because 92% of the food is exported, while in Cuba, for all its meagre means, everybody is garuanteed a meal.

Suggesting that poverty in Latin America is not due to natural material scarcity in relation to the population, but due to the export-oriented economies and capitalist monopolies keeping the region in underdevelopment.

Whether or not Argentina produces enough food for all of Latin America or a third of it, is less the question than the fact that Latin America as a whole has the material potential to offer all its working people a dignified standard of living, and that therefore "overpopulation" is not the problem, but rather the economic and social structure of the region (it seems bizzarre that you want to view Haiti in isolation inb order to claim that its poverty is due to "overpopulation", when it is part of a global economic system).
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

my hope is haiti people are going to be ok. you guys are fighting about how this could have happened in the first place. most artists such as the haitians cant know much about agriculture. how are they to know what to do with the land? government in haiti is about foreign control anyway. same with all of middle and south american countries. they don't know themselves and fight with each other. always civil unrest. then imperial states come in with their big yahoo equipment and guns (and threats of worse) intimidating the local people who may have a chance of becoming cohesive.

but back to the earthquake in haiti. why didn't the usa provide strong machines to help move the rubble to find all those people who were buried?

ps cuba is very small and self-contained. i doubt the government could provide for a diverse and large and vast nation such as the usa. moot point imo. same with all the small countries that have been mentioned.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    but back to the earthquake in haiti. why didn't the usa provide strong machines to help move the rubble to find all those people who were buried?
    I am guessing because they are extremely difficult to transport, especially moving them from sea to land, especially to places where roads are blocked off by, well, rubble.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

I just want to thank you Blackmail for doing the dirty work for me.
    Since I was thinking about saying something like this. However since I had this nickname I was thinking that I will simply come as a troll.

The fact is that undeveloped countries contain over 80% of the worlds population and their numbers are growing further.
    So yes, helping all those people will be impossible in the future.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    I just want to thank you Blackmail for doing the dirty work for me.
    Since I was thinking about saying something like this. However since I had this nickname I was thinking that I will simply come as a troll.

The fact is that undeveloped countries contain over 80% of the worlds population and their numbers are growing further.
    So yes, helping all those people will be impossible in the future.
    That's pretty impressive fortune telling. Thankfully there's no reason why your pessimism has to be true though - renewable energy sources and GM foods, coupled with human innovation, have the potential to help us massively expand the numbers of people we can feed (we can already feed the world's population with what is currently produced), as well as the fact that industrialization of the "third world" would lead to falling birth rates.

It's all down to what social system administrates our resources, not to natural scarcity.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

In the past, it has never been about how much food people can feasibly produce (as long as we have fossil fuel to churn out fertilizer... there'll be sufficient food to feed the current world population). It had always been about hoarding and political gain.

When we run out of oil though, the table will turn. Renewable energy sources cannot support our food consumption if the people in the developed countries continue to use resources in this fashion. Especially not when developing countries like China and India takes off and start demanding the same quantity of resources before they manage population control.

It's true that technological advancement will eventually lead to decrease birth rates. But there'll be many years of elevated birth rates since habits of people don't change overnight. They'll continue to have 4/5+ kids as they had in the past, except now all the kids survive. It'll likely take 1-2 generations before you see the birth rate drop. By then your population would have at least tripled in size.

Can the world support 20 billion people all living in excess? It's a scary thought... Can we help everybody? No. We can help some now though... get them out of disaster zone and follow through with education. In turn, hopefully they can help others. It's about all you can do.
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ORLY

I know it was, like, 8 pages ago but this threw me off.

Basicly it was a tragedy ment to happen and now everybody are getting emotional about this. What is technically pointless if we overlook the fact that is hypocritical in a way.
    Meant to happen? Maybe was very likely to happen, but not meant to.
    [SIGPIC]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb37/KamikazePigeonOnFire/untitled-39.jpg[/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    2w3 so/sx

^ this. You Pat Robinson followers are not tolerated.

When God kills man in the Bible, he always claimed it. I didn't see any avenging angels, or supernaturally fast plagues here, did you?
    Love is the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kastor View Post
    I know it was, like, 8 pages ago but this threw me off.

Meant to happen? Maybe was very likely to happen, but not meant to.

It was ment to happen because laws of geology are saying that. The chance was 100%. The only variable that was unknown was when it will happen.

However if they were not this poor the number of dead would have been lower.