User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    The US has made some wrong choices, but clearly they did a helluva lot better than the imperialistic megalomaniacs in the 19th and the autoritarian dictators in the 20th century. The very possibility to blame them for these things supports this theory.
    The US rulers haven't made "wrong" choices from their own point of view, they have jsut served their self-interest, which is to keep Latin America (which Haiti I think is technically a part of, in fact wasn't the term "Latin America" invented by the French to claim some sort of common heritage with the region?) in subordination and poverty.

As we can see by the fact that the only country in Latin America which abolished economic colonization, ensured a reasonable distribution of wealth, nuilt a welfare state (the only country in Latin America to do so) and eradicated absolute poverty (the only country in Latin America to do so), is Cuba which has been subjected to an embargo for half a century. If the US wanted to help develop Latin America it owuld surely give aid for welfare and building up of a national, non-dependent econom?

All the while dictatorships or "democracies" who let their people starve while protecting the domination of the export-oriented private industries, US corporations, and the World Bank/IMF, have been propped up with "aid".

So I don't they have made "wrong choices", rather, they have carried out economic and terrorist war (usually through native agents) in their own interests.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Yes, so stop giving them aid. It's only hurting them.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Yes, so stop giving them aid. It's only hurting them.
    It's the conditions tied to the aid that hurt, not the aid itself. It's not the case that "those savages don't know what to do with the money, or will only spend it on guns". Rather that aid is only given to the agents of the west in the third world, who are the representatives of that corrupt, venal and parasitical minority that are present in all countries - the bourgeosie.

However, aid "in itself" doesn't have to be this - Soviet aid to Cuba for example, was much better for the Cubans than life has been without Soviet aid. But that's because it was a different economic system.

If the US had given aid on the same conditions, that would have been great, but obviously the Republicans and Democrats would never do so - even though it would have benefitted the majority of the US population: Think how much economic exchange would mutually increase between the industries of the Us and Latin America if the latter were to industrialize. But the bourgeosie prefer to pocket their cash or invest speculatively, than to invest productively.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    It's the conditions tied to the aid that hurt, not the aid itself. It's not the case that "those savages don't know what to do with the money, or will only spend it on guns". Rather that aid is only given to the agents of the west in the third world, who are the representatives of that corrupt, venal and parasitical minority that are present in all countries - the bourgeosie.

However, aid "in itself" doesn't have to be this - Soviet aid to Cuba for example, was much better for the Cubans than life has been without Soviet aid. But that's because it was a different economic system.
    No, the west poisons everything it touches. Aid hurts everyone. Don't give any.

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    No, the west poisons everything it touches. Aid hurts everyone. Don't give any.

Define "west" .

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Define "west" .
    The traditional definition of "West". Russia potentially included, considering most of them glow in the dark now.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

It's curious, but since the beginning of this thread, I agree with everything Antisocial One said.

---

But I could even be more cynical.

The population of Haiti has quadrupled in less than 40 years. Today, the density of population is higher than the one you have in the Netherlands.

So if you wonder why there are no "lush forests" anymore, why their environment is on the verge of total annihilation, this is the reason.

Basically, it's IMPOSSIBLE to help these ultra-poor countries in the long run, unless they eventually learn to use contraceptives and condoms.

And even then, I fear it's far too late.

In twenty years, the situation will be twice as worst as it currently is, and we can make the same dire predictions with most of the African-Sahelian countries.
    Haiti is just an open-sky wasteland, a human dump. And I mean, the entire country. Its environment cannot sustain such a large human population: they are already the poorest around, and yet they have to import half of their rice.

What will happen in twenty years? Will we wait till the next earthquake?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's curious, but since the beginning of this thread, I agree with everything Antisocial One said.

---

But I could even be more cynical.

The population of Haiti has quadrupled in less than 40 years. Today, the density of population is higher than the one you have in the Netherlands.

So if you wonder why there is no "lush forests" anymore, why their environment is on the verge of total annihilation, this is the reason.

Basically, it's IMPOSSIBLE to help these ultra-poor countries in the long run, unless they eventually learn to use contraceptives and condoms.

And even then, I fear it's far too late.

In twenty years, the situation will be twice as worst as it currently is, and we can make the same dire predictions with most of the African-Sahelian countries.
    Haiti is just an open-sky wasteland, a human dump. And I mean, the entire country. Its environment cannot sustain such a large human population: they are already the poorest around, and yet they have to import half of their rice.

What will happen in twenty years? Will we wait till the next earthquake?
    It is disngenious to seperate Haiti out of the regional economic and social context. Haiti might be the poorest but the whole region is materially rich, yet the majority live in poverty. Argentina alone produces enough food to feed all of Latin America, and yet millions live in hunger there alone. So maybe we have to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It is disngenious to seperate Haiti out of the regional economic and social context. Haiti might be the poorest but the whole region is materially rich, yet the majority live in poverty. Argentina alone produces enough food to feed all of Latin America, and yet millions live in hunger there alone. So maybe we have to look elsewhere for the source of the problem.
    Thank you.

And seriously, it was only by chance that everyone writing here wasn't born in that "human dump". It's so easy to be smug when you have good fortune on your side.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It's really very silly to think that lack of food resources is the only reason for hunger to exist.