First 34567 Last

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh the history of Haiti is much more dire than that. The US has systematically tried to ruin this country, and other latin american countries. From the poisoning of the crops and the soil with chemicals to the deforestation to the Creole Pig Incident... smh. I could go on and on.

What people see on the "news" of the congested capital city is so different from what the country actually looks like. The gorgeous mountains, the lush greens... there is no natural reason why this country should be so poor. And there is no reason why only 1% of the forest remains.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Are you sure about this ?
    Sure, why not? The "international community" can not possibly help such a place. They've ruined it enough already, why should they interfere further? And everyone knows that any nation has never been successful by receiving aid -- they only become successful by getting their shit together and reaching out.

So yeah. Don't do anything. Never touch Haiti ever again. It might even be good for them: remember, the bubonic plague improved conditions of laborers all across Europe.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    It's just as tcda says -- the best solution is to just leave them alone.
    Sorry but I didn't say this. I don't accept that the only possible ways of western populations interacting with the "third world" are through their governments, and expressed in interventionism vs isolationism. There is that unfashionable old concept called "international working class solidarity"...
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Sorry but I didn't say this. I don't accept that the only possible ways of western populations interacting with the "third world" are through their governments, and expressed in interventionism vs isolationism. There is that unfashionable old concept called "international working class solidarity"...
    Nah, western nations can't do anything right. The soil beneath my feet is full of dioxins, remember?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Sure, why not? The "international community" can not possibly help such a place. They've ruined it enough already, why should they interfere further? And everyone knows that any nation has never been successful by receiving aid -- they only become successful by getting their shit together and reaching out.

So yeah. Don't do anything. Never touch Haiti ever again. It might even be good for them: remember, the bubonic plague improved conditions of laborers all across Europe.
    Well they were quite poor before and now they are quite poor in a destroyed country. They simply don't have the knowledge and technnology need to make life worth living. leaving them right now would trully be a final degradation.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Well they were quite poor before and now they are quite poor in a destroyed country. They simply don't have the knowledge and technnology need to make life worth living. leaving them right now would trully be a final degradation.
    I realize this is a controversial stance, but if not now, then when?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

I realize this is a controversial stance, but if not now, then when?
    Never.

All counties in this world are interconnected. So it is impossible to be left alone even if you want that. Especiallly if you have so much neighbours.

What some counties should do is stop sabotaging them. But being left alone would probably be quite bad for them (Haiti).

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    What people see on the "news" of the congested capital city is so different from what the country actually looks like. The gorgeous mountains, the lush greens... there is no natural reason why this country should be so poor.
    Most of what you've said is true, but lush greens and gorgeous mountains won't make a country rich. It has limited cultivable lands and most of the natural mineral resources have already been depleted by the spanish. It is a small island state with a stunted democratic background, which is not uncommon in the area.

The US has made some wrong choices, but clearly they did a helluva lot better than the imperialistic megalomaniacs in the 19th and the autoritarian dictators in the 20th century. The very possibility to blame them for these things supports this theory.

All counties in this world are interconnected. So it is impossible to be left alone even if you want that. Especiallly if you have so much neighbours.
    Your first meaningful post in this topic.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Most of what you've said is true, but lush greens and gorgeous mountains won't make a country rich. It has limited cultivable lands and most of the natural mineral resources have already been depleted by the spanish. It is a small island state with a stunted democratic background, which is not uncommon in the area.

The US has made some wrong choices, but clearly they did a helluva lot better than the imperialistic megalomaniacs in the 19th and the autoritarian dictators in the 20th century. The very possibility to blame them for these things supports this theory.
    Not to be arrogant, but all of what I said is true. The island will always be poor but tourism is flourishing in every other island except Haiti. Even the other side of Hispaniola is flourishing with tourism. So yes, the beauty of the island should be a big draw if you compare it to the rest of the Caribbean. Of course, tourism won't make them rich, but they would definitely be comfortable and have more independent resources.

"Wrong choices" is a very light way to describe the gruesome US involvement in that country since 1915. Yes, the Spaniards helped, but for the past century, it's been the US almost entirely.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    ...tourism is flourishing in every other island except Haiti. Even the other side of Hispaniola is flourishing with tourism.
    For those who may not realize it, Hispaniola refers to the entire island; Haiti is roughly 1/3 of the land mass and the Dominican Republic the remaining 2/3. Both have almost equal population; over 9 million in each country.