User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Sure it does, because I didn't declare that I was in favor of anarchy. There's a middle ground between no restrictions on anything and Congress trying to control everything. Telling corporations how they can spend their money when it comes to political candidates leans much more to the "control everything" side whereas I lean a lot more in the other direction.
    Congress wasn't "controlling everything", it was a prohibition. That's actually quite simple, much simpler than trying to micromanage.

Every argument that I heard for that McCain-Feingold bill was along the lines of "our regulations of campaigns aren't working so we need MORE of the same kind of regulations and that'll fix it!" Instead of looking at the root of the problems in the system. But nobody wants to really do that, because it would shake up too many people's power base. The problem is not that corporations or even wealthy individuals have too much power, it's that we have consolidated the power so much that they are able to obtain that power.
    I agree with this, but I prefer practicality. I would rather have McCain-Feingold in place until corporate personhood can be eliminated than for us to repeal McCain-Feingold on ideological grounds, while corporate personhood is still in place. That just doesn't make sense to me.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Then you haven't been looking very hard.

You cannot win a political campaign in the United States of America if you don't have the funds. Corporations have a much larger pool of funds available for political campaigns than most of the population. Therefore, they have the ability to change the outcome of elections due to their ability to finance candidates sympathetic to their agenda.
    How do ads constitute violence?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    How do ads constitute violence?
    I saw "imminent threat" which doesn't require violence. Perhaps you should reword your post. I consider buying elections to be an imminent threat.

It seems to me that your belief leaves the door wide open for corruption, because according your beliefs, bribery should be legal. Bribery does not require violence.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I saw "imminent threat" which doesn't require violence. Perhaps you should reword your post. I consider buying elections to be an imminent threat.

It seems to me that your belief leaves the door wide open for corruption, because according your beliefs, bribery should be legal. Bribery does not require violence.
    I'm talking about actions taken against private citizens. How do political ads urging people to vote for Bob constitute violence or a threat of violence?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I'm talking about actions taken against private citizens.
    I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Could you explain in more detail?

I have no idea what you're talking about anymore. Could you explain in more detail?
    How do ads constitute violence or a threat thereof?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

How do ads constitute violence or a threat thereof?
    They are a threat to the democratic process.

They are a threat to the democratic process.
    I have no idea what this phrase means to you, but to me it is so vague as to be meaningless. I take it you do not believe ads constitute violence (me shooting you) or the immediate threat of violence (me pointing a gun at your head and threatening to shoot you)...

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    No, money is property. Property should be able to be freely exchanged.
    Interstate commerce clause. Money qua property most certainly may be regulated by Congress.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I have no idea what this phrase means to you, but to me it is so vague as to be meaningless. I take it you do not believe ads constitute violence (me shooting you) or the immediate threat of violence (me pointing a gun at your head and threatening to shoot you)...
    I explained in more detail earlier. I'm not going to hold your hand.