User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I happened to run into this a while after posting my last post. It's from Catherine Austin Fitts' website solari.com. It's from her wrap-up on financial and political events of 2009 and mentions how much was spent on campaigning for Obama:

2009: The Year of the Great Vampire Squid

The world’s most powerful investment bank is a great vampire squid wrapped around the face of humanity, relentlessly jamming its blood funnel into anything that smells like money.

- Matt Taibbi, “Inside the Great American Bubble Machine”

The Great Vampire Squid

For years, it was hard for many of us to fathom the psychopathic nature of our financial elites, or to expand the meaning of Matt Tabbi’s marvelous description of Goldman Sachs, the great vampire squid. Squid seems a fitting name for the financial cartel that drives what I have traditionally called the Tapeworm.

The Squid Hits the Fan

In 2008, global investors finally realized that they had been stuck with fraudulently issued securities by the great vampire squid. The nature of the collateral fraud and questionable practices in the US mortgage and derivatives markets had been understood. However, millions of investors assumed the squid could be counted on to maintain the global ponzi scheme.

By early 2009, the squid was facing a global financial bloodbath that could potentially cook its members into little bits of calamari. Those stuck with bum paper were threatening to pull their money out of the squid and worse.

The squid panicked.

Best Investment Performance of 2009: $1 Billion to Elect Obama

Riding to the rescue was Barack Obama. Based on what was clearly extensive domestic and global profiling, the great vampire squid spent approximately $1 billion (and likely more covertly) to get Obama elected in November 2008 and adored globally. The squid’s returns make this the single best performing investment of 2009 and the decade, if not the last century.

http://solari.com/blog/wp-content/up...ing-704332.jpg

Bloomberg recently announced that gold was the best performing investment for the decade. They failed to mention that gold’s near 300% rise of the decade could not compare to the exponential multiplication achieved in a much shorter period by the squid’s financing their Presidential candidate into the White House. Electing a Harvard lawyer who inspired the hopes and dreams of those who had been most brutally drained by the housing bubble and drug wars clearly was a stroke of financial genius. While gold had passed the $1,200 per oz. level before the end of the 2009, its performance still did not compare to the $10,000 plus per oz. the squid was realizing on the opium flowing from the fields in Afghanistan.

This is not in any way to diminish the importance of the squid’s investment in governmental and private intelligence agencies. However, at times like this, you can’t kill everyone. Although, we admit there were moments in 2009 when it started to look like someone was trying. (See 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7)

From the Revolutionary War through 2009, the U.S. government accumulated $12 trillion in debt. And then, in one year, President elect and President Obama restored to office the very people who had engineered the fraud. With the squid’s preferred team in place in the White House, at the US Treasury and at the Department of Defense, President Obama led the gifting and lending of an additional $12 Trillion to the great vampire squid.

Let me underscore the enormity of this number again. An amount equivalent to all the debt we had accumulated in 252 years and numerous wars we gave or lent to the squid in one year.

And so it was that the banks of Europe were relieved of their fraudulent paper while the Federal Reserve balance sheet ballooned with toxic assets. No doubt in profound gratitude and appreciation for President Obama’s extraordinary political achievement, a grateful Europe bestowed upon him the Nobel Peace Prize.

In the meantime, with strong support from the Federal Reserve and U.S Treasury, the great vampire squid was able to engineer extraordinary profits on high-risk speculative investments by an amount sufficient to “pay back” bailout loans, fund dividends to shareholders and pay their leaders huge and hideous year-end bonuses.

Well, I guess that answers my original question as to why campaigns are so expensive in the first place.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Well, here it is. The decision I was afraid of.

Supreme Court Removes Limits on Corporate, Labor Donations to Campaigns

In a stunning reversal of the nation's federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled Thursday that as an exercise of free speech, corporations, labor unions and other groups can directly spend on political campaigns.

In a stunning reversal of the nation's federal campaign finance laws, the Supreme Court ruled 5-4 Thursday that as an exercise of free speech, corporations, labor unions and other groups can directly spend on political campaigns.

Siding with filmmakers of "Hillary: The Movie," who were challenged by the Federal Election Commission on their sources of cash to pay for the film, the court overturned a 20-year-old ruling that banned corporate and labor money. The decision threatens similar limits imposed by 24 states.

The justices also struck down part of the landmark McCain-Feingold campaign finance bill that barred union- and corporate-paid issue ads in the closing days of election campaigns.

Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote the main opinion, which reads in part that there is "no basis for allowing the government to limit corporate independent expenditures."

"There is no basis for the proposition that, in the political speech context, the government may impose restrictions on certain disfavored speakers," he wrote. "The government may regulate corporate speech through disclaimer and disclosure requirements, but it may not suppress that speech altogether."

Dissenters included Justices John Paul Stevens, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

"The notion that the First Amendment dictated [today's ruling] is, in my judgment, profoundly misguided," Stevens wrote for the others.

"In the context of election to public office, the distinction between corporate and human speakers is significant. Although they make enormous contributions to our society, corporations are not actually members of it," he added.

The ruling is sure to send a jolt to political campaigns throughout the country that are gearing up for the 2010 midterm elections. It will also impact the 2012 presidential race and federal elections to come.

Arizona Republican Sen. John McCain, whose name bears the law that was upended Thursday, said he hadn't read the decision but thought that it was headed that way when he listened to arguments presented last fall. McCain said he does not think it completely repudiates the law he wrote with Wisconsin Democratic Sen. Russ Feingold.

It also undercuts recent congressional legislation mandating tighter controls on political donations that had restricted the flow of corporate dollars into the political system.

The case involves the film by conservative group Citizens United, which criticized then-presidential candidate Hillary Rodham Clinton during the 2008 Democratic presidential primary campaign.

Citizens United planned to air ads promoting its distribution through cable television video-on-demand services. The FEC said the film amounted to a campaign ad and that Citizens United, an incorporated entity that takes corporate money, could only use limited, disclosed contributions from individuals to promote and broadcast it.

Prior to the ruling, Bob Edgar, president of watchdog group Common Cause, warned against overturning McCain-Feingold.

"Money has already corroded the discussion before Congress," he said. "It'll open Pandora's Box."

The U.S. Chamber of Commerce, AFL-CIO, National Rifle Association and other groups sided with Citizens United in calling a loosening of restrictions.
    Article here.

This has been a very depressing political week for me.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

We still have a democracy? I thought it was obvious to everyone that our constitutional republican form of government had been long gone history after the voting machine debacle during the 2004 presidential elections. How before that democracy ended with a mostly bloodless coup d'état beginning with the Kennedy assassination and now each office is sold and traded like a publically traded corporation and the politician does what they are told by those holding controlling interests? What are they teaching kids about history in grade school nowadays!
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    135 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Well, here it is. The decision I was afraid of.

Article here.

This has been a very depressing political week for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    We still have a democracy? I thought it was obvious to everyone that our constitutional republican form of government had been long gone history after the voting machine debacle during the 2004 presidential elections. How before that democracy ended with a mostly bloodless coup d'état beginning with the Kennedy assassination and now each office is sold and traded like a publically traded corporation and the politician does what they are told by those holding controlling interests? What are they teaching kids about history in grade school nowadays!

Welcome to the club guys.

Since for some us this is how things are for some time now.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    You could argue that Kennedy's election was bought, too.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Wow. Talk about The Great Leap Backwards. I'd probably rather have mob rule over what we have right now.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yay! Now we just need the Supreme Court to strike down about a thousand other unconstitutional laws and we're really in business.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Yay! Now we just need the Supreme Court to strike down about a thousand other unconstitutional laws and we're really in business.
    Then you believe $$$=speech?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Unconstitutional my ass. A corporation is not a citizen and money is not speech.

And do you even care about consequences, or do you just support anything that has the word constitutional (correctly or incorrectly) slapped onto it?
    Go to sleep, iguana.