First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Many people. He is arguably the foremost legal mind in the Supreme Court. Definitely the most libertarian justice, too.
    It was a joke.

But you're right. It's arguable.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But as an aside to all of that, I'm wondering why Scalia thinks the smallness of those little corporations means they should get to make contributions anyhow. I'm not getting from A to B, I'm afraid.
    This was part of the "shareholder protection" argument (apart from other arguments, like corruption), that corporations shouldn't make political contributions from the treasury because the shareholders may not agree with those contributions. In single shareholder corporations, this would not be an issue. I'll admit that the entire shareholder protection argument is pretty weak, in general, but Scalia's response was just stupid.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    crap

The ruling upset me more than anything else that has happened politically in my lifetime. I do think this will lead to the end of democracy in the U.S., and I'm not being dramatic.
    The system is completely poisoned.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker View Post
    The ruling upset me more than anything else that has happened politically in my lifetime. I do think this will lead to the end of democracy in the U.S., and I'm not being dramatic.
    The system is completely poisoned.
    The United States isn't a democracy, nor is it supposed to be, but I get what you are saying.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The United States isn't a democracy, nor is it supposed to be, but I get what you are saying.
    government by the people; a form of government in which the supreme power is vested in the people and exercised directly by them or by their elected agents under a free electoral system.
    Democracy is a political government either carried out directly by the people (direct democracy) or by means of elected representatives of the people (Representative democracy).
    Perhaps the sources are not satisfying to you but that was dictionary.com and wikipedia.org, respectively. The USA is sort of democracy, even if it happens to not be a direct democracy of any sort.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Perhaps the sources are not satisfying to you but that was dictionary.com and wikipedia.org, respectively. The USA is sort of democracy, even if it happens to not be a direct democracy of any sort.

We have democratic elections, but the the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Power is dispersed and constrained throughout the system, including constraining the people.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Let's find some more trivial details to argue about.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

We have democratic elections, but the the Constitution is the supreme law of the land. Power is dispersed and constrained throughout the system, including constraining the people.
    The constitution can be changed by legislators. Legislators are popularly elected. Therefore, if at any point the masses feel such a need to totally chew up the constitution that they'll turn it into an election issue, they can chew up the constitution without ever having to violate the law once.

I don't think the odds of that are high, but that's for cultural reasons, and my point still stands.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Let's find some more trivial details to argue about.
    I suppose it's a waste of time, but I get tired of hearing that incorrect cliche. It's hard for me to help myself.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

The constitution can be changed by legislators. Legislators are popularly elected. Therefore, if at any point the masses feel such a need to totally chew up the constitution that they'll turn it into an election issue, they can chew up the constitution without ever having to violate the law once.

I don't think the odds of that are high, but that's for cultural reasons, and my point still stands.
    Sure, but the point remains that the elections are what is democratic.

I suppose it's a waste of time, but I get tired of hearing that incorrect cliche. It's hard for me to help myself.
    It's not incorrect.

I don't much like democracy anyway. It neither fits with my sense of fairness nor my sense of reason.