User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 91

  1. #1
    Geolectric teslashock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Posts
    1,690

    Default The Conservative Case for Gay Marriage

    I know the topic of gay marriage is along the same lines as arguing about abortion and global warming, and it's become almost too cliche of an issue to bother discussing anymore, but here's an interesting stance on it: read here.

    Now the SJs are even making an SJ claim about why gay marriage should be legal/legitimized. What happens when even the ones who were attributed with being so vehemently opposed to gay marriage can now make a case for it? Perhaps it's time to write up a bill...

    Do any of you conservatives out there find this view particularly striking?

    Thoughts?

    Discuss...

  2. #2
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Funny how SJ and conservative were apparently interchangeable here.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #3
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Funny how SJ and conservative were apparently interchangeable here.
    Didn't you get the memo? SJs are all Bible-thumping simpletons. I'll make sure you get another copy of that right away.



  4. #4
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Funny how SJ and conservative were apparently interchangeable here.
    It did strike me as a bit of an unfair assumption to make too...:s
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  5. #5
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    I liked the article because it tried to approach the topic on a rational basis, and frame it in ways that communicated along conservative values and why gay marriage aligns with their values. That's smart. ("Look, actually this aligns with what you claim to believe, you're just not seeing it yet.")

    The first two pages were good but also assume that opposition is rational in nature.
    The third page is the one that will cause difficulty, IMO.

    My perception is that this is not a rational issue, because rationally it's pretty clear there is no real reason to discriminate, something that the writer's opponent apparently admitted to a judge in court.

    At core, the negative stance is primarily based on:
    - Visceral disapproval by hets of same-sex relationships (it 'feels wrong/repulsive')
    - Moral and religious beliefs that condemn same-sex sexual activity and, by extension, marriage
    - Civil marriage and religious marriage being intertwined in this country so that religious people fear that the government will force them to marry gays. (It should be separated: Give to Caesar what is Caesars, and to your God what you think is His.)
    - The notion that making gay marriages acceptable in society will somehow contribute/trigger the moral decline of western culture and introduce a whole host of abominations that few people would actually find acceptable.

    In other words, opposition is at core seemingly based on personal religious beliefs and negative emotion.

    ... but I'd rather hear from a current conservative. I identified with conservatism and was anti-same-sex marriage through my 20's, then eventually reached different conclusions in the religious area and had more life experience and my views changed over time.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Didn't you get the memo? SJs are all Bible-thumping simpletons. I'll make sure you get another copy of that right away.
    I never got that memo!

  7. #7
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JTG1984 View Post
    I never got that memo!
    I'll make sure it's hand delivered to you right away. We can't trust SJs with things like computers and email, they might make your tiny brains explode. Although if your handler is conducting your forum behavior for you [which MUST be the case, since SJs can't type] I can send it to their email and I'm sure they can orate it to you or draw you a picture using non-threatening animals to convey the message.



  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,480

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I'll make sure it's hand delivered to you right away. We can't trust SJs with things like computers and email, they might make your tiny brains explode. Although if your handler is conducting your forum behavior for you [which MUST be the case, since SJs can't type] I can send it to their email and I'm sure they can orate it to you or draw you a picture using non-threatening animals to convey the message.
    Why thank you! But please when you draw the pictures make sure you use stick figures, my tiny brain is already maxed out for the day.

  9. #9
    Sniffles
    Guest

    Default

    This article sure does a nice job exposing the fact that what really exists within American discourse today is simply two variations of the liberal paradigm; therefore ultimately "conservatives"(classical liberals in actuality) don't have much chance arguing on moral issues within this paradigm.

  10. #10
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This article sure does a nice job exposing the fact that what really exists within American discourse today is simply two variations of the liberal paradigm; therefore ultimately "conservatives"(classical liberals in actuality) don't have much chance arguing on moral issues within this paradigm.
    Lockean liberalism was never supposed to be static. Otherwise, it wouldn't have put Reason on as high a pedestal as it did.

Similar Threads

  1. Make the Case for Your God(s)
    By Passacaglia in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-27-2016, 07:27 PM
  2. The Case for Reparations
    By Lateralus in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-09-2014, 09:58 PM
  3. The Case for Gamma
    By Kierva in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2014, 10:14 AM
  4. The issue of gay marriage
    By Torai in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 318
    Last Post: 04-19-2011, 10:45 PM
  5. So what's really the big deal about Gay marriage?
    By Sniffles in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 222
    Last Post: 12-19-2008, 12:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO