User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    ^ ...one of the most sickening comments I've seen in a while.
    I was actually hoping for elaboration of the OP's perspective of the issue.

However, I'm curious why you find it sickening. I'm more inclined to believe the western sources given they don't send soldiers on such errands for giggles. That assumption in mind, I have precious little empathy for anyone crafting explosives designed to kill our soldiers - their age, race, or gender make no difference.

MBTI
    YaYa

This isn't the first time this has happened. Just the first time reported.

Apocalypse Now Redux

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Feops View Post
    I was actually hoping for elaboration of the OP's perspective of the issue.
    The OP put it down as news so that we can add our perspectives. Not a simple 'and' expecting him to put down his views.
    However, I'm curious why you find it sickening. I'm more inclined to believe the western sources given they don't send soldiers on such errands for giggles. That assumption in mind, I have precious little empathy for anyone crafting explosives designed to kill our soldiers - their age, race, or gender make no difference.
    Hmmm? It seems as though you haven't read the article. I'm wasting my time.

MBTI
    INTP

I imagine the truth lies somewhere in between. I've been in firefights that were reported completely different by both the news and the military from what really happened. One thing that worries me is ... if children are now taking part in manufacturing IEDs (and I'm not saying they are) ... it really blurs the line between combatant and non-combatant. Then it probably won't be long before 12-year-olds are getting killed taking pot shots at coalition forces ... if it hasn't happened already. If it was an execution, then we have a big problem inside the coalition military, which is supposed to be above that sort of thing. The U.S faced the same sort of problems in Vietnam ... where one side fights a total war, but the other is constrained from doing so.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    This isn't the first time this has happened. Just the first time reported.

Apocalypse Now Redux
    I don't doubt this.

If anyone wants my perspective, it's that no foreign troops have any business being in Afghanistan, and that the Afghan people have every right to defend their country.

Having said that, even in cases when guerillas have been fighting on a side I disagree with - like say when the CIA trained and funded the Mujahideen in the 1970's to destabilize the pro-Soviet, secular, relatively enlightened Afghan regimes - even then I wouldn't agree with executing unarmed schoolkids living in a home where bombs were being made (not that I see any reason to believe this desperate mudslinging by the apologists).
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INTx

The OP put it down as news so that we can add our perspectives. Not a simple 'and' expecting him to put down his views.
    So it's okay to request our perspectives but not okay to ask of his? Interesting.

Hmmm? It seems as though you haven't read the article. I'm wasting my time.
    I have.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

If they were armed and fighting back I'm grand about this, war is hell man.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ????

I don't believe this is the exact story. I think there is something more to be said.

[add]: and also, I imagine they had good reason. That is what I mean when something more needs to be said. You don't just kill children.
    Excuse me, but does this smell like chloroform to you?

Always reserve the right to become smarter at a future point in time, for only a fool limits themselves to all they knew in the past. -Alex

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    If they were armed and fighting back I'm grand about this, war is hell man.
    I noticed your location...as you must know it wasn't long ago the British army used to do these things to mine and your grandparents? And they used to spread the same bullshit lies about "national security" too.

Why should the Afghans deserve any less support than most of us today would agree the Irish desreved back then...?
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    ESFJ

"War is the health of the state"
    - Randolph Bourne

"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."
    - Bertrand Russell
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"