User Tag List

First 715161718 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Larry came in handy.
    His objective was not in the table in Damascus.

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    Larry came in handy.
    His objective was not in the table in Damascus.
    Precisely.

The pawn never quite became a queen. He started off as a Lieutenant and a mapmaker. An interesting profession...

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Congratulations on your use of rhetoric.
    It's funny how terms like "democracy", "Islamism" and "Taliban" are considered objective, but "imperialism", "occupation" and "Karzai dictatorship" are considered "rhetoric"...

But anyway, to get the thread back on track, a great speech by an ex-US soldier which only came to my attention yesterday, and ties very well with this thread (video of the speech at the link):

stopwar.org.uk
    The real terrorist was me
    Michael Prysner was a US soldier serving in Iraq for two years, 2003-2005. He says, "We were told we were fighting terrorism. The real terrorist was me. The real terrorism is the occupation."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Text: March Forward
    Video: Pha3drus
    11 January 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Prysner joined the U.S. Army when he was 17 years old, between his junior and senior year of high school.

Of his decision to join, Michael writes: "I was compelled to join the military for two distinct factors: the first was rooted in reality, realizing that I could not afford a college education, and my recruiters actively bolstered fears that nothing awaited after high school except economic hardship; the second was rooted in fantasy, believing that the U.S. government stood for freedom, justice and equality, and by serving in the U.S. military I would be a part of a heroic force for good in the world."

Michael left for basic training in June 2001, and spent six months training at the U.S. Army Military Intelligence Academy, where he was taught to operate a radar system used to call air strikes and artillery barrages on vehicle convoys.

Of this experience, Michael writes: "Throughout the school, our instructors frequently referenced and praised the successful use of this system during the first Gulf War, which was actually the only time it had been used. It was used in the notorious massacre of the fleeing population, where the U.S. military destroyed every vehicle traveling on the highway, leaving behind hundreds of smoldering cars filled with families who were trying to escape the violence. This was the job I was trained to do in the military I had felt so honored to join: to use a computer to kill hundreds of innocent people. Our platoon's motto was ‘Point, Click, Kill.'"

Michael was assigned to he 10th Mountain Division in Fort Drum, N.Y., and in March 2003 his company was attached to the 173rd Airborne Brigade to take part in the initial invasion of Iraq.

Of this experience, Michael wrote: "Once in Iraq, there was no computer screen separating me from the suffering civilian population. Because of the Bush administration's failure to anticipate the resistance of the Iraqi people, there was an inadequate number of soldiers in my unit, and I ending up having to do a myriad of different jobs. I spent 12 months in Iraq, doing everything from prisoner interrogations, to ground surveillance missions, to home raids. It was my firsthad experiences in Iraq that radicalized me. I believed I was going to Iraq to help liberate and better the lives of an oppressed people, but I soon realized that my purpose in Iraq was to be the oppressor, and to clear the way for U.S. corporations with no regard for human life.

"I separated from the Army in 2005, by which time I had begun to make sense of my experiences in Iraq, and understood that the occupation I was a part of was a crime against humanity. I understood that illegal conquering of Iraq was for profit, carried out by a system that serves a tiny class of superrich whose endless drive for wealth is at the expense of working people in the United States and abroad.

"I left this Army with a new understanding of the system under which we all live, and the nature of U.S. foreign policy. But, I still had the same drive to fight for freedom, justice and equality as I did when I joined, and I understood that fighting for those things meant fighting against the U.S. government, not on behalf of it."
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    It's funny how terms like "democracy", "Islamism" and "Taliban" are considered objective, but "imperialism", "occupation" and "Karzai dictatorship" are considered "rhetoric"...

But anyway, to get the thread back on track, a great speech by an ex-US soldier which only came to my attention yesterday, and ties very well with this thread (video of the speech at the link):

stopwar.org.uk
    Iraq is a stepping stone?

What do you think will happen, when the US completely surrounds Iran?
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Who say dat? Yoo say dat.

Considered objective by who?

stopwar.org.uk
    Let's get it back on track, says our Mr Relevant. And pastes a cheap confession from a guy back from Iraq (not Afghanistan).

You're hopeless, you can't even stick to your own topic.

You leach insincerity: no one in their right mind could spout this kind of drivel. Your obviously doing for a laugh with your little puppet mate, Protoshite.

All the best!

MBTI
    Why?
    Socionics
    SEX

Let's get it back on track, says our Mr Relevant. And pastes a cheap confession from a guy back from Iraq (not Afghanistan).
    Unjustifiable war is the topic,... US invasion is the topic,... Whether it be Afghanistan, or Iraq, it's all relevant...

... You leach insincerity: no one in their right mind could spout this kind of drivel. Your obviously doing for a laugh with your little puppet mate, Protoshite.
    Hahaha... You my sheeple friend, are the tool!
    ... They say that knowledge is free, and to truly acquire wisdom always comes with a price... Well then,... That will be $10, please!

MBTI
    NICE

Unjustifiable war is the topic,... US invasion is the topic,... Whether it be Afghanistan, or Iraq, it's all relevant...
    Well let's hear that from the organ grinder, not the monkey.

Hahaha... You my sheeple friend, are the tool!
    Baaaaah.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

So, did U.S. troops kill Afghan schoolchildren or not?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    So, did U.S. troops kill Afghan schoolchildren or not?
    Maybe. Maybe not.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Maybe. Maybe not.
    What does the evidence suggest?