User Tag List

First 789

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    No that's not the same at all. You made a sophistry. And the links you gave us all agree with current models about the rise of temperature.

You have a phase of adjustment, since greenhouse effects act in feedback loops. This means their full effect is never to be expected overnight. Heating the planet takes time... Have you any notion of what the Earth thermal inertia is, and how vast it is? That's what your link is trying to say us: that we must be ready for a very high rise of temperature during the next decades, and it would occur even if we would stop immediately to release CO2 in the atmosphere.

So either you know it, and this means you have lied.

Either it means you lack basic notions of physics.

At least, I'm telling you the truth.
    Why didn't you just say all that in the first place? No, I don't have any notion of how vast earth's thermal inertia is, but if you feel like explaining it, that would be helpful. (Although I think it's in the wee hours of the morning in Paris right now, so perhaps you need some sleep first?)
    Last edited by Intricate Mystic; 01-13-2010 at 01:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Intricate Mystic View Post
    (Although I think it's in the wee hours of the morning in Paris right now, so perhaps you need some sleep first?)
    Absolutely, you guessed right.

I'm glad somebody eventually cares about my personal comfort and chronic lack of sleep, thank you.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait, if Katsuni is right, then instead of worrying about heating, we should be worrying about in the next hundred years not being able to breathe because of too much CO2
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Wait, if Katsuni is right, then instead of worrying about heating, we should be worrying about in the next hundred years not being able to breathe because of too much CO2
    One could achieve the same effect quite a bit sooner by feeding a hundred million cows legumes.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

You don't even know what an ecosystem is, and what you could learn thanks to it.

And yet, this guy wants to teach me my job!
    Fascinating!
    You have an ineffective debate style. It consists primarily of insults, while being devoid of useful information.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You have an ineffective debate style. It consists primarily of insults, while being devoid of useful information.
    They're not insults, they're sarcasms. And the goal is not the same.
    If eventually you look ridicule, ask yourself why.

About informations, I don't think you're in position to say anything. Informations are everywhere around you, yet you purposefully avoided them.

Many people here (including myself) have relentlessly quoted peer reviewed papers, and explained them in details, even when some of you mistakenly interpreted their datas the wrong way.

It's everywhere around you, yet you continue to deny them.

So why should we waste our time with an obtuse troll who only seek contradiction just for the sake of contradiction? Unless... we can toy a little bit with you.

Admit it: you're doing exactly the same with us! For you it's just a game!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

They're not insults, they're sarcasms. And the goal is not the same.
    If eventually you look ridicule, ask yourself why.
    I figure it's because you're French.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

I find string theory fascinating. I consider evolution to be entirely plausible (read: I'm not a creationist). The future of genetics is exciting (I'm all for things like stem cell research). Yet, despite my enthusiast support, I would resist broad public policy being formed based on our current knowledge in any of those sciences. There's too much that we don't know, and most scientists would freely admit this.

Why is climate science different? I agree with Katsuni, that we really don't have any idea what's going on. We see patterns and we rush to explain them without any real understanding. Yet we're expected to spend billions, even trillions of dollars on policies based on a science that we understand no more than we understand the mechanisms of evolution (possibly even less). I have no problem with climate science, strictly as a science. But when people want to make public policy based on science, I believe it should be held to a higher level of scrutiny. Instead, we have people like Blackmail who demean anyone who questions The Consensus.
    Very well put!

After studying geology for 3 years in college, I was skeptical of the whole global warming controversy because the percentages of warming and cooling are not outside what has been considered a normal part of the cycle of Earth from the time we started recording history.

I think that instead of trying to solve the "problem" of climate control, we need to study the system and learn best how to work within it and not against it.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

I figure it's because you're French.
    YouTube - Annoying French Laugh