User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It is.

But the current rise of temperature is occuring at a rate never, never ever recorded in the past. And we have multiple evidences of that (1).

Hence the term: anomality.
    I do not agree with this conclusion, not that it is necessarily wrong, but that it is presumptuous. A more accurate conclusion would be "still calculating" or "sample size too small".
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by sLiPpY View Post
    The normal temperature range for earth was initially between 700-1000 degrees C.

Granted in that perspective the biggest problem is "global cooling", it might be nice if it did warm up a bit.
    I think the temperature record that is most important would be the record for the time that the atmosphere had roughly the current composition, with the continents arranged at least closely to how they are now. How far back is that? 20-30 million years?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I think the temperature record that is most important would be the record for the time that the atmosphere had roughly the current composition, with the continents arranged at least closely to how they are now. How far back is that? 20-30 million years?
    It's been many years since I'd taken Geology, and a google didn't yield anything quickly. But an interesting thought you have there.

Earth's such an odd ball planet. It's surprising this rock still has atmosphere, and a magnetic field that can protect it from various things. Otherwise we'd already look like our next closest neighbor, which it is theorized initially had the opportunity for atmosphere too.

The absence of a protective magnetic field is largely what cooked and cooled it's goose.

I suspect the space program would have evolved more quickly and have become more advanced, with a neighboring goal in site.

Just to find out what kind of life, might have evolved there...

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I do not agree with this conclusion, not that it is necessarily wrong, but that it is presumptuous. A more accurate conclusion would be "still calculating" or "sample size too small".
    Teach me my own job... I'm sure you better at it than me...

Please, do!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Teach me my own job... I'm sure you better at it than me...

Please, do!
    Statistics are statistics regardless of the field of science. Based on your statements, I do believe I understand statistics better than you do.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Statistics are statistics regardless of the field of science. Based on your statements, I do believe I understand statistics better than you do.
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

You don't even know what we're talking about. Too bad. Dendrochronology is fun, especially within rapid deteriorating ecosystems.

But what, you never did that? I mean, wandering into a forest is FUN! Collecting insects, pollens and seeds, you know... Taking samples of the soil, doing just a spoon of paleoclimatology thanks to acidic peat bogs...

---

Now I'll let the two self-declared Masters continue their monologue, while I discreetly fly away from their nonsense.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

:yim_rolling_on_the_

You don't even know what we're talking about. Too bad. Dendrochronology is fun, especially within rapid deteriorating ecosystems.

But what, you never did that? I mean, wandering into a forest is FUN! Collecting insects, pollens and seeds, you know... Taking samples of the soil, doing just a spoon of paleoclimatology thanks to acidic peat bogs...

---

Now I'll let the two self-declared Masters continue their monologue, while I discreetly fly away from their nonsense.
    Tree rings only give temperature measurements that go back so far. How far back do ice core samples go? ~800,000 years? You're still missing nearly 20,000,000 years of temperature measurements.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Tree rings only give temperature measurements that go back so far. How far back do ice core samples go? ~800,000 years? You're still missing nearly 20,000,000 years of temperature measurements.
    You don't even know what an ecosystem is, and what you could learn thanks to it.

And yet, this guy wants to teach me my job!
    Fascinating!

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx

You're just answering this to provoke an argument, aren't you? :rolli:

You troll.

YouTube - French Taunting - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

So what are you saying here? That you don't have thirty million years of empirical data to back up the Global Warming bunk?

And that going back to 1880 is a valid statistical sample?

Quote Originally Posted by Windigo View Post
    After the Revolutionary War, the founding fathers wanted to distant themselves from English culture. They streamlined the spelling (Webster's Dictionary was published around this time) and even created a different style of holding silverware. Call it crazy, but they just wanted America to have a unique "feel" even if we were still speaking the same (arguably) language.
    English has irregular spelling because each word is a reflection of its history.

But Noah Webster was an American revolutionary who wanted to cut American English off from its roots.

Noah was immensely influential in American education, but even he could not change the nature of English. And all he left was a vulgar form of English.

And of course he left behind a President who told us with a straight face that the French did not even have a word for entrepreneur.